“Our Favourite Restaurant in the Area”

39 Steps Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 3 Restaurants in Styal
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: 39 Steps Restaurant is a modern British restaurant serving the best of locally sourced produce with an extensive wine list to suit every palate
Reviewed August 19, 2012

On Saturday we went to the 39 Steps for the 3rd time in 6 months. Every time we have been we've had a fantastic meal served in ambiant surroundings, by attentive (but not over bearing) staff. The menu has a choice of around 6 options for each course and everything we have chosen has always been first class. On Saturday 2 of us had the wood pigeon, 1 had surf and turf (scallops and confit duck) and 1 had ham hock to start and for the main course 1 had the monkfish, 1 had lamb and 2 had the special which was halibut - everyone thoroughly enjoyed what they had. 2 of us also had desserts, 1 the chocolate and cherry torte and the other a strawberry and champagne creme brulee. The portions are not huge, but definitely enough to fill you up without feeling over full. We don't find we need to order side dishes either. All in all a fantastic meal again on Saturday.

The staff are very friendly and the food genuinely is excellent.

Saturday night was the first time I have seen the restaurant completely full and it made for a good atmosphere. However even when the restaurant is quieter it is still a very pleasant restaurant.

The only slight negative on Saturday was that by the time we ordered a 3rd bottle of wine they had run out of the one we had been enjoying (a NZ Sauvignon). The said they had ordered 5 bottles of it in that day and all 5 had been drunk. I don't find it acceptable that a restaurant runs out of wine it lists on its menu and whilst we chose a Sancerre as an alternative, which was also very nice, I think a restaurant of this standard should not run out of wine.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

It was a lovely summer evening when a party of four of us dined at 39 steps. The front entrance was wide open, there was a beer festival on in Styal, and the restaurant was full. All of this gave the place a continental feel and a very relaxing atmosphere. The welcome from the owner and the waiting staff was warm and genuine, and the level of service throughout the evening was first class - professional and helpful without being pretentious in any way.
Good service however has to be matched with good food, and I'm pleased to report that all four in my party were delighted with the quality and choice of food available. All four had a different starter, and all four were very satisfied. I had the 39 steps unusual take on a 'surf and turf' - a combination of scallops and confit duck -delicious. For my main I chose monk fish wrapped in parma ham - again truly delicious. Monk fish easily dries out, but not this one, it was very moist and flavoursome, and a generous helping as well. After a suitable rest we were pleased that we found room for desserts because they were also very very good. In summary it is an interesting and innovative menu with high quality and value for money. The wine list is one of the best I have seen in any comparable restaurant. I'm sure that diners here will be able to find a wine for any food or occasion, it ranges from inexpensive New World whites to a superb range of Bordeaux clarets. We settled for a couple of bottles of a very acceptable Pouilly Fume which went well with the monk fish and also duck.
We left the restaurant in a 'feel good' frame of mind having thoroughly enjoyed the dining experience. This was my first visit, but I will definitely be back, and happy to recommend to other reviewers.

1  Thank Tuchenclut
Reviewed July 27, 2012

I was still a little miffed after my last visit (see previous review), so when my business partner and I decided to eat out it wasn't my usual first choice of restaurant.

The restaurant we had chosen however was fully booked so having our taste buds revved for quality food with a flare we rang the 39 Steps to see if we could book. It was a busy Friday evening but after some juggling they were able to fit us in.

We normally order à la carte for the steak but the 3 course set price dinner menu looked fantastic with loads of traditional and diverse choice and plenty of options to meet my gluten free diet. We both opted for the pan-fried mackerel which came with unusual and tasty accompaniments which really complimented the super fresh warm fish. The portions were fairly small but just enough for a starter.

The mains were lovely, cod and chicken respectively and both with stunning sauces, a good size, fresh, tender and cooked to perfection. You need to order extra veg or a salad as usually only some form of beautifully cooked fresh potatoes and a tiny amount of veg comes with the main. You need to advise not to add butter to additional veg if you are on a low fat diet or dairy intolerant. I would prefer butter to come as a side for diners like myself who prefer not to add it and other dinner party members can then also add to their own preference.

John the owner was in tonight. He's so down to earth and a really nice guy. He was chatty and friendly as ever and it’s fantastic that even though visits could be a few months apart, he and one of the other (2) waiters (who must have a photographic memory), remember what you like, ordered and talked about on previous visits. It’s a true testimony to first class, professional and caring service.

It was very busy and the waiters sadly didn't have time to chat as normal but he really looked after us. It's refreshing to experience such great service and it's this and the quality exciting food which makes this restaurant in my top 2 ever. If there was a little more ambience from maybe adding some background music or themed nights it would be 5 out of 5 for me every time. The toilet facilities are also extremely dated and not in keeping with such a high class restaurant.
(My other fave restaurant is The Lime Tree in Didsbury. I'd not been for a while as the quality and service dipped in the last 12 months and with the high customer turn-over and changing staff, overall experience could vary. It's next on my list to try again).

I rarely eat desserts preferring savoury dishes, though desserts at The 39 Steps are to die for! Not over-sweetened or sickly and all fresh, quality and wonderfully balanced complimentary flavours. I also don't normally like strong flavours in food such as coffee, cinnamon or praline. When looking at the menu, I've sometimes been put off from ordering a dish as it contains such ingredients. On every occasion I have tried them however, these flavours were extremely subtle and actually significantly added to and created a taste-bud-popping masterpiece. Diverse harmony is the only way to explain it.

The set menu is amazing value and the food the same high quality and attention to detail as the à la carte, though this can vary at busier times. I also love the little touches such as fresh, handmade canapés and petit fours which are always brought to the table.

It’s very rare to find great service and consistent quality on every course and as previously stated, they achieve it 9 times out of 10. In a service based industry where you’re only ever as good as your last meal/service, that’s hard to beat. Everyone whom I have brought to the restaurant loves it and all agree; whoever is creating the menu is a true alchemist of food!

So, definitely, as in the words of Arnie; “I’ll be back” :oD

1  Thank KatyDeeUK
Reviewed June 1, 2012

On my first visit 18 months ago I felt there was no ambience and staff efficient but cold. The fillet steak however was a masterpiece & the square fat chips & lemon meringue tower were just amazing. I revisited a few months later with a friend as the perfect tender succulence of that steak just drew me back. It was a lovely pleasant surprise for the staff to remember me and welcome me back like an old friend. They also even remembered the exact wine previously chosen. The food was out of this world, every course and particularly the steak and maybe because of the staff friendliness, the ambience felt much better.

So impressed, I arranged for my parents wedding anniversary on a Sunday lunchtime for 12 people. I'd praised the restaurant to all of my family who therefore had high expectations. Sadly however service took 3 hours for 3 courses as the restaurant was full and the food lacked it's previous al a carte wow factor being more cooked for the masses. It was however still very good and superb value for money on the set menu, one really couldn't complain at this price. On this basis however I concluded not to visit again during busy periods as I like the personal touch and food preparation cooked to individual taste.

I've since been with my partner, friends or family ever couple of months and they always remember everyone and their drink preferences. It makes you feel like part of a family.

I visited yesterday evening after recently discovering I am gluten intolerant. They were brilliant in advising what I could safely eat and adapted meals for me. I was so disappointed with the steak however, it was cooked medium/pink as requested but was dry and bland. I gave half to my partner and also left some. The salad @ £3.95 was knocked off the bill but it really wasn't enough against the £27 cost of the significantly under-par steak. If in the form of Roast Charolais Fillet on the menu, I would not order this again and particularly as it has been in identical form & accompaniments on the 3 course set price lunchtime menu of £22.50.

Everyone can have a bad day so I would visit again and highly recommend but would now send disappointing courses back rather than hope recompense would be made against the bill. The food can rarely be faulted however and the chef/owner has a wonderful knack of teaming diverse flavours to create wonderful, flavoursome and unique dishes. Individual Service is 100% during quieter mid-week periods and makes up for the quieter ambience. Definitely deserves 4.5 out of 5 overall for service and food.

1  Thank KatyDeeUK
Reviewed April 13, 2012

This is our favourite restaurant
The food, ambience , and staff tick all the boxes
Wish we could go each week
Probably the best restaurant in wilmslow by a country mile

1  Thank John C