“Only interested in diners”
Review of The Robin Hood Inn

The Robin Hood Inn
Reviewed March 31, 2014

Went to this establishment on Saturday and the place was pretty empty, I asked if there was somewhere we could sit for a drink. The young waitress said she would check. Then another lady appeared and asked if she could help, I explained, she then said well! We are quite busy (but the place was empty) you can sit there in the high up bar stools my mum is 72 years young! All in all very rude and more interested in diners. More suited to little Lord Fauntleroy with more money than sense!!

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Richard M
Chris J, Owner at The Robin Hood Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2014

Dear Mr M, I note your comments which you made and whilst we were quiet at the moment of your visit all our tables were booked out for that evening apart from a couple of tall tables which you were offered. These tables are more than adequate for people just wishing to have a drink and it's just unfortunate your Mother could not sit at them. I doubt whether you would have been spoken to in a rude manner as our staff are never rude and If you felt those tables to be unfit for your elderly Mother's use then you of course have the choice of staying or leaving. We do not just cater for diners here as we do have a busy bar too and always welcome people just wishing to have a drink. However if people have booked in advance then we do as a business have to honour those bookings on a first come first served basis. Your comment of "only interested in Little Lord Fauntleroy with more money than sense " is not only derogatory to us but also to all our other customers who do enjoy coming here.

Reviewed March 26, 2014

Have been staying here for the past 3 weeks on business, and it goes against my better judgement to share such a good find while I'm still using it.... but having read some of the slightly unbalanced reviews I felt compelled to......
Firstly, it's a fantastic pub and restaurant, a great crowd of locals, and the proprietors and staff couldn't be more welcoming. Accommodation-wise, the rooms are spotlessly clean, and well sound-proofed; beds are extremely comfortable, completing the required recipe for a great night's sleep.
The food is very good, including an excellent breakfast, and there are other options for dining within the village within a few yards, including a good Indian.
Lastly, and most importantly, the real ale is absolutely immaculate (a rare find in this area, trust me!)..... although you may want to avoid too many of the Holy Moleys on a school night.....!!!!

Room Tip: Room above the pub door can be a little noisy occasionally, but if you can't beat them.......!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Chris J, Owner at The Robin Hood Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2014

Many thanks Andrew for taking the time to write your review. Sally and her staff work very hard to keep our customers happy and your review will help potential customers make an educated choice as well as give Sally and the staff a welcome pat on the back. Thank you.

Reviewed March 14, 2014

I always choose to stay at the Robin Hood when visiting Portsmouth. The staff are always friendly and the service is first class. The choice at breakfast is comprehensive and tasty to eat. The kitchen have often cooked my choice of breakfast and supply as much tea and coffee as I can drink.
The evening meals are excellent and there is often a special of liver and onions, yum I never get this at home unless I cook it myself, again very tasty.
I would recommend staying here, the Hotel is set in a quiet village with two other pubs you can walk to with other friendly southerners. I am from up north and know the difference.

Room Tip: I have stayed in all of the rooms. Most have excellent showers but two only have the shower over a b...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Chris J, Owner at The Robin Hood Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2014

Thank you Brian for taking the trouble to write a review. We are always pleased to welcome you to The Robin Hood and hope to continue to do so.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

Despite friendly service from our waitress, the 'steak burger' was undercooked, dry and a bit tasteless and served on a crusty ciabatta making it nigh on impossible to eat. Chips were soggy. For £12 I was disappointed and was expecting more.

Sad also that as we left we weren't thanked by any members of staff or the owner as they stood by the bar.

I wouldn't really recommend.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Mmcw7
Chris J, Owner at The Robin Hood Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2014

I am really sorry you did not enjoy your lunch with us and would like to enquire further as to why. Please contact me direct on our email therobinhoodinn@hotmail.co.uk and I can discuss with you what can be done to rectify this for you. Regards Chris Johnson

Reviewed December 9, 2013

Had lunch here with a party of 8 friends. Very limited menu. Prices extortionate. Fish was soggy and appeared to have been cooked in the microwave. Chicken undercooked and was sent back three times and refused. Burger -undercooked. Never again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Kenp70567
Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

Used to look forward to a good old sunday roast it started off well even though you had to ask for vegetables, still cant understand why they dont serve Green veg, last meal was just about ok for me but the beef was thick and bloody and the pork was tough and chewy.most of the staff are great but one in particular looks like she would rather be somewhere else. I think this place will go down fast if they are not careful and very over priced. Always busy on a sunday but different faces, which says alot.shame.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed October 15, 2013

As this was my first stay alone in a hotel I arrived with some trepidation. The warm welcome I received soon put me at ease and throughout my one night stay I felt thoroughly relaxed. The accommodation was impeccably clean and very comfortable, with tea making facilities, a hairdryer and shower gels etc included.
I had dinner in the relaxing dining room. The two ladies made sure I had everything I needed and obviously had a very good working relationship with each other, which created an excellent atmosphere. The breakfast was cooked perfectly and enough to feed me for the day (even though I had a lunch party to go to on the Saturday!)
I would certainly stay there again and recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to relax and spoil themselves a little. My only regret is .......that I didn't book in for a second night!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
0 mi away
Taste of India on the Green
Taste of India on the Green
#4 of 4 in Rowlands Castle

Been to The Robin Hood Inn? Share your experiences!