“Very irresponsible company. Never replied after getting my money”

Volcano Life Experience
Mt Teide Stargazing Experience in Tenerife
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed February 17, 2018

I lost my property in the car and I have been waiting for the partial refund because the cable car was cancelled that day. It has been a week after the tour but still no news about the refund. Sent multiple emails and phone calls to follow up my issues but never replied. Zero response from email. For calls, staff promised to follow up but never response after hanging up.

The pick up arrangement was messy too as the sent me a wrong address. I would give them a minus rating if I could.

All reviews
in 20 reviews
"guide"
in 37 reviews

Reviewed January 17, 2018

Well organized, generally after the pick up
We were the only group at the observatory and the observatory tour and sunset was well organized and informative.
The evening star-gazing was OK. There were other groups there with both English and Spanish guides set up with separate telescopes. Information was informative, but is subjective to what can be seen at the time of year you go.
I travelled alone, and the guides at the lodge definitely spent much much more time explaining the process for the rest of the evening to the families and couples. I had to listen in to what others were being told in order to learn all the information I didn't get (I was just handed the star guide). But I found that typical all over the Canaries - there isn't much attention given to solo travellers.
It is COLD at night - dress for freezing temperatures.
The pick-up was a bit chaotic, I received an SMS and email telling me where to meet, but 10 minutes after the meeting time, I texted to ask if they were still coming for me - they had gone to my hotel, not the meeting point they told me to go to. This delay caused everyone else after me to also be delayed in their pick up - which the guide blamed on "traffic".
If you are one of the first people to be picked up, your day from pick up to drop off will be closer to 10 hours, not 8.
You'll be driven past a lot of amazing scenery on the way up the mountain and to the observatory - you will not be stopping to see any of it or learn anything about the Park or Volcano on this tour - which is unfortunate. There is a lot of time on the bus during which the guide could have been telling us about all sorts of other things about the park - but we did the 90minute drive in total silence.

Over-all, was a fun and educational experience, but there were many missed opportunities to add value.

1  Thank kayehm
Reviewed January 17, 2018

My wife and I booked this tour. 65 Euro each person.
At the day of the tour we got a call, that the tour will be shorter because of a cloudy sky. We will get 16 Euros back, they promised.
Later we were collected for the tour at a nearby hotel. Together with two friends the trip started. Not sure if it was the bus or the driver or the combination, but all of us got quite sick due to the bus driving (and usually this does not happen to us). When we were at the observatory, focussing on not throwing up until the stomach calmed down, we had a nice view on several observatories. The guide was friendly and tried his best, but he was lacking in some information. The niveau was rather low for an astronomical tour. I guess all participants knew what stars are. He mentioned that one sun observatory was cooled with liquid hydrogen. But no word about why hydrogen and how much they need each day and how they get it there, which would have been interesting and should not have been difficult to find out for the guide.
However, we had a look into the inside of two observatories. That was quite interesting, since I have never been in one. Of course, there is not much to see: the telescope with its detectors. After a while night fell, it got quite cold so we went into a building to have a brief presentation. Quite disappointing. A few powerpoint slides and a movie of the nightsky over teide which most likely can be found at youtube (there are several quite good ones). After that: playing around with an IR camera for a while. Well, if you never saw one in your life, this might have been interesting. Imho it is fun for kids which are not the target of this tour. Then we drove back.

In summary: they bring you up that mountain, give you a small amount of information, you can have a look at two telescopes and they show you a movie you could have seen on youtube on your own and you have to pay 65 Euros for this. If you want to see the telescope: go ahead and book this. If you want to see the nightsky: do not. Just borrow a car (around 40-60 Euros a day) and go there on your own. The regular bus at daytime costs 11 Euros to go up and down but it does not go at night.

Resumee: too expensive for what you get.

A really good tour would be: tell the customer in advance what they will probably see (full moon or stars), bring them to the mountain top when the weather is good (state: between date and date the tour will take place, depending on weather conditions, you will be informed one or two days in advance). And then only bring them there, let them watch and bring them back. 50 Euros or something like that.

Reviewed January 4, 2018 via mobile

Here my impressions.
First, a map with all the pickup spots would have been helpful. At the time of the reservation I filled in my mobile number e-mail address, and I received a text and e-mail one day before the meeting, on when I had to be at the location. That made me feel a bit uneasy since I was not sure if I would have a connection with my phone. Also later it turned out there where much better pickup spots from our location.

As for the tour, the guide should provide more academic explanation in English as well. The content was way too little for a "astronomic tour".

The starry sky was beautiful in and of itself. In addition, we were traveling a lot, so we could not look so calmly at the starry sky.
I would also have liked to see more of the observatory. How does it work? What are the observations needed for.

See more reviews
Reviewed November 12, 2017 via mobile

We booked a trip online to volcano teide including cable car through attraction tix. It lasted around 7 hours and was an altogether amazing experience! Picked up promptly from our hotel, tour guide was fun and knowledgeable. There were a number of stops along the way to view different areas of the National Park. Arrived at the volcano and guide got the cable car tickets so no waiting around. Once at the top of the volcano we had over 2 hours to look around this was a good amount of time as there is a number of walks which are quite rocky and very enjoyable with amazing views; impossible to get bored and a good amount of time!
Whole trip was amazing a once in a life time experience. Once at the top of the volcano it was very warm above the clouds however the National Park itself when in the cloud layer was freezing. Tip wear trousers and bring a coat. Would definitely recommend this trip and the trip company to anyway. Was 60pound including cable car and this was a whole day trip well worth it for the guides knowledge and the ease of the trip.

2  Thank kay543