I went to Solar da Bica in July 2009, following two good stays in 2005 and 2006.
Our last stay was extremely disappointing and so bad.
Actually, it was a three days fiesta in the area and it was absolutely impossible to sleep during the night up to 6 AM! I did sleep only from 6 AM to 9 AM. The reason is that the music of the fiesta was extremely powerfull even with windows fully closed, and Solar da Bica is very close to the main source of music/ noise.
The owner imformed us briefly that it will be noisy the day before - but we didn t get this crucial information during our booking in May and we didn t get the explanation that it was impossible to sleep.
After this terrible night, we check out - as planned - and we didn t get any discount. We were asked to pay the full price for not sleeping . 83 Euro per night including the fee of the booking by Madeira Rural:
We did not get any excuse and we were told by the owner that they did not sleep also.
It seems that the owner have missed the fact that we are regular customers and we are making their wages...we just get the bill - similar to a supermarket cashier!
So thanks for this stay and I would personnally recommend to the readers to investigate any other alternatives before a booking to Solar da Bica:
I hope it helps to avoid terrible hollydays and save your money!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Solar da Bica is a cosy and quiet rural tourism unit, nestled at the magic and idyllic Sao Vicente valley, in the Madeira Island. Located in an area with one unique view over the valley, it offers unforgettable landscapes through the breathtaking scenario of the mountains, including the exuberant vegetation of the Laurissilva Forest and the deep blue Ocean. It's the perfect location for those who search authenticity, rest, peace of mind, contact with nature, a calm and unpolluted environment and cultural heritage and integration in a traditional and rural life style. The property results from the reconstruction, adaptation and preservation of the traditional typology of two century-old houses, constituted by 13 rooms. The main house is the typical "Solar", traditionally associated to the residence of noble families, with characteristics of a manor house but with a smaller dimension. In terms of cultural heritage, it presents a great number of interesting and unique elements, such as the kitchen and some antique furniture. At the secondary house, the wine press, traditional floor and ceiling preservation stands out. At the green spaces you can also find numerous stonework and metal pieces that were part of the ancient Madeira's daily routine. Although it preserves many of the original elements, Solar da Bica was adapted with modern infrastructures, of which are worth mention the indoor heated swimming pool, the sauna, the panoramic garden and the biological vegetable-garden. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Priceline, Cancelon, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Solar Da Bica reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Solar Da Bica Sao Vicente
- Solar Da Bica Madeira Islands/Sao Vicente