“My great vacations” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Sao Vicente
Lisboa
“My great vacations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2011

I have spend 2 lovely weeks in this Hotel.
Clean rooms and facilities, amazing view of the sea with a beautiful sunset.
Something i will always remenber is the relaxing time spent on the pool drinking my cocktail with my husband, good food with a nice buffet at breakfast and dinner.
helpfull staff, i want to return in my future vacations.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
3 Thank maria g

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Polish first
Leicestershire UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2011

We went here after looking for a value for money hotel as there were quite a few people with differing budgets going on this holiday. This place offers travellers fabulous value for money, some iffy reveiws on here almost put us off but we are glad we were not. The staff are brilliant and the views from the ocean view balconies are great. The place does look a little bit tired and in need of a lick of paint here and there but so what! You do need to hire a car though if you are to stay in Sao Vicente as there will not be enough to keep you busy all day every day, the little town of Sao Vicente is very quaint and beautiful. There are cafes and restaurants in the town and also on the sea front, all are very very good and superb value (6 euros for a good steak) and large beers for 2-3 euros (these are 5 euros in the hotel!), one place that was a great place to eat in the evening was Praia Mar on the seafront. So apart from higher beer prices the hotel is great and worth a stay. During our week stay we drove pretty much around the whole island which is so worth doing as Madeira is a very beautiful place.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
6 Thank Sweeney1979
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2011

I have recently returned from a week's holiday to Estalagem. I was under the impression that I booked a four star, all inclusive holiday. Whilst this was probably the case some twenty years ago, it is now a two star at best.
Estalagem Do Mar sits at the north of the island which is much cooler than the south (Fungal etc). The weather was wet, windy and grey, but picturesque, with the crashing waves against the black rock- stunning. Whilst weather is never guaranteed when you are abroad, at least in most hotels or resorts there are indoor activities to entertain you. Unfortunately, Estalagem had an antiquated pool area with dried on rust on the floor, the bottom of the pool had dark stain- not sure what that was. The table tennis area had low lighting and the gym was reported to me as being almost non –existent. Throughout the week there was no entertainment and limited resources in the bar area. There was nothing specifically for children of any age.

The food was pretty much local dishes, but tasty with limited choice. The staff were nice, friendly and helpful. There is virtually no information about local attractions. The local area was bleak, grey and desolate, feeling ghost like or void people and atmosphere. The Caves (a twenty minute walk away makes up for it), a visit or two to fungal or anywhere south of the island is a must, providing, character, entertainment and above all (surprisingly) very good weather.

Whilst staying at Estalagem I resigned myself to the fact that there were limited alternative options for my daughter and I. Once I did that, I allowed myself to rest, sleep and to do nothing, which I needed to do; I returned home feeling rested.

For those of you who have already booked, especially families with children, consider hiring a car, bringing a range of entertainment resources such as, toys for the pool, bat/ball, portable DVD player etc (a saving grace for me).

I will not be returning to Estalagem or that region, however, Fungal was fab (especially the weather, cable cars, shopping and the tour buses). I will endeavour to explore the south of the Island at some point.

Paula

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank PAW2011

Travelers are raving about these Sao Vicente hotels

Poole, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2011

Before I went to this Hotel, I was reading the TA reviews and got a bit confused. Decided to risk and check if it was how bad as people mention here. Funny to see that the hotel matched my expectations and at the end I had a lovely stat with them. Being an experienced traveller, gives me, a good rating sense to qualify hotels and to this Hotel I give a positive note! it is not a 5 star (far from that), yet with its cosy ambience and scenery views you almost feel at home...
Setting of the hotel is fantastic with the mountains and ocean view, ideal for nature lovers and active people. Location is smart, having a bus stop just in front of the hotel with buses to Santana, Porto Moniz, Funchal... Even the hotel has a minibus that takes the clients to Funchal and other places. Estalagem do Mar staff is very very nice. Everybody speaks fluent english and they are like the majority of the locals, very warm and friendly. Hotel is not a new hotel, yet it is clean and confortable. stayed in a renewed room with a SUPERB view to the ocean. Food was ok, specially at the dinners with the buffet choices. Facilities of the hotel are as well more than enough, with indoor pool, sauna and jacuzzi being used all the time by my kids.
Overall enjoyed, and when we do the final calculations, hotel was a bargain compared to the average rates of Madeira Hotels.

Room Tip: stayed in room 313... fantastic panoramic view!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank bourne40
Plymouth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2011

Definitely not 4 star. The north of the island is pretty but limited sun and hence nothing to do when there is constant cloud. Everything about the place is dated. The food is appalling and bland - plan to eat out. We asked about the advertised 'brunch' and were told to go to the bar where we could get a biscuit. Afternoon tea was also just a biscuit.
We checked out early and moved to Funchal - the receptionist did not even ask why we were going!!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Ilene11
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2011

We stayed for a week on the all inclusive Travel Zoo deal at the end of June. Having read the recent reviews on here (after booking!) I was seriously concerned about this hotel.
On arrival, the location of the hotel was breathtaking. The mountains immediately behind the hotel, the nearby waterfall and the hypnotic crashing Atlantic waves were wonderful. The trouble was that the micro-climate of this area was predominently cloudy. Indeed we only managed to sunbathe twice at the hotel all week. Our room (309) was clean and satisfactory (twin beds pushed together) with air con, and a balcony. The shower was unpredictable (water pressure and temperature were random) and the room reminded me of a travel lodge. Thankfully we don't watch much TV, as the only working channel was CNN. Wi-fi was only in reception. The swimming pools (indoor and out) didn't look inviting so I passed and swam in the sea instead (caution, big waves, rocks etc).
The food that we were given as part of our package was poor. All meals but one lunch were buffets and of course the food temperature varied between cold and warmish. Breakfast bacon was interesting. I've not seen bone in bacon since the 1970's. Bread was nice and fresh though, so I tended to have jam and bread for breakfast. Orange juice was the kind of quash that kids drink. Coffee was instant and awful until 11am when you could get a (half decent) espresso from the bar.
Lunch was meat or fish. Dinner was meat or fish. Both with overcooked veg (sprouts one day!), rice (which I didn't try) and potato (chips, fried potato cubes, larger fried potato cubes and boiled spuds one day). Meat tended to be quite flavoursome but sometimes rather chewy. Food did seem to improve slightly during our stay when a large group of french tourists arrived to stay.
Staff were all very friendly and helpful although several looked as though they were shell shocked at getting moaned at by guests.
Beer was satisfactory. Sparkling water was fine. The wine was fairly scary and I'm not a big fan of drinking strange spirits with labels that are made to look like genuine brands.
When we spoke to staff at the local tavernas, on two occasions they mentioned that their business' thrived because of the food at the Estalagem do Mar.
Luckily, we had a hire car for the duration, so we spent a lot of time away from the hotel and thoroughly enjoyed our holiday.
In fairness, and on reflection, we would stay here again if the opportunity arose, just not fully inclusive.

Room Tip: hire a car to find the sun
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sssshh
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2011

Could be a lovely location if the cloud lifted, drive through the tunnel towards the south of the island and brilliant sunshine! Definitely not a 4* - max 2* plus and I feel that is generous. Stayed on an all inclusive deal, personally feel the drinks were watered down, didnt see brunch, buffet choice every day consisted of rice, soggy veg, some potatoes (alot of the time boiled potatoes), meat or fish dish. We asked for some peanuts/crisps late afternoon and they do not have this, we ended up with rubber cheese and stale crackers. Rooms are ok, smelt a bit musty but are clean although very tired looking, all have sea view so do not be fooled when you have been told you have been upgraded. We were also advised we could stay in our room till we were ready to leave, again this is not correct although the receptionist was very good and let us stay till 4pm (our collection was 5.30pm). Indoor pool looked ok, jucuzzi was 'green' looking so not very appealing and you have to book the sauna. Hotel reception and head waitress were good but don't expect any of the waiters to smile! There is no evening entertainment so take some cards or your ipod. This hotel really is in the middle of nowhere although we did find a fantastic restaurant within walking distance - turn right out of the hotel, walk over the bridge, turn left and it is half way down on the right (has fairy lights outside) called Taberna De S. Vicente - excellent food and fantastic hosts also extremely good value for money. Fortunately we met some lovely people at the hotel who had hired a car and let us tag along with them - if you do stay here, hire a car as it can be very dire when the sun does not shine. All in all I was dissappointed and if not for the couple we met that ferried us about I would have moved hotel to one in Funchal. South of the island is defintely better. Also if you are a smoker the hotel has no ashtrays - ???

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Aqua Natura Madeira Hotel
Aqua Natura Madeira Hotel
#1 of 5 in Porto Moniz
Quinta do Lorde Resort, Hotel & Marina

Been to Estalagem do Mar? Share your experiences!