All reviewscourse menuhotel restaurantswimming poolhalf board guestsa mountain view roomwalking holidayhotel managementhire carbreakfast and dinnerlovely hotelsteep hillvicentejacuzzifridgeislandunplugeuros
Reviewed July 23, 2018

The EdV is a four star hotel opened in 2004. We stayed there for ten nights. Breakfast and dinner was included in our room bill.

I am not sure, but I would guess they have about 40 beds or so - so it is a quite small place. You find the hotel close to the city of São Vicente, maybe 2 km south of and 150-200 meters above the city center. Walking into town is possible but I don’t think it is very enjoyable as the roads are steep. This is actually a bit of a downside, as I would have loved to go to a bar in town and have some Ponchas.

We learned that the hotel has various pros and cons which I want to list. I order my list according how important the feature is for me.

Dinner: they serve a five course “menu of the day” for half board guests like us. This means that you cannot easily chose between different options. However, if you do like meat and fish, are no vegetarian, or have no other dietary requirements you will not have many problems with the menu. Actually we liked it most of the time. In case you do not like a dish, you can exchange it with something else from their normal a la carte menu. Maybe this costs a bit depending on what you selected.

I would describe the food as modern and European. Some Italian ideas, something french, a small bit of local influence, ... it is a blend. The quality is normally good, however not outstanding, and there are some mistakes that should not happen: sometimes a potato is entirely cold, fish is overcooked, ... And some „creations“ of the chef are ... a tad odd: Tuna steak with sugar cane sirup or duck with a bitter orange jam. I personally would have preferred a much simpler type of food. Three courses and the option to choose what you want to eat would be better. Also you need to understand that 5 courses is a one and a half to two hours time effort. I must admit I did not like this every night.

Breakfast: to be honest with you: breakfast is not very good, in fact it is sub standard. I have stayed in many hotels, this is one of the breakfast buffets I found most boring since a long time. The offer scrambled eggs and bacon (which are okay), three types of sausages (which I found highly unpleasantly looking), one type of cheese (quite tasteless), bread (okay), and different types of cereals. This does not sound too bad, but you have exactly the same stuff every day and when you don't like the cheese you have to live with it your whole stay. I think they could highly improve on this breakfast menu.

Staff: the receptionist and the ladies in the restaurant are all very nice and helpful. However, in some situations the could be a bit more thoughtful: on one day during our stay there was a Rallye in São Vicente and roads around the hotel were closed all day. It would have been very helpful if the hotel management would have informed their guests about this issue.

Room and hotel: in 2004 everything would have been modern und nice. Time went by and taste changed but the hotel wasn’t changed much since that day. Today we have a slightly aged hotel which shows its degradation here and there: in the reception area, for instance, you find a large area damaged by water under the ceiling. The same is true for the hotel room we stayed in, you can see that it has been used for some time. However, I cannot complain about cleanliness. We had one of the second floor rooms, which had a very nice view to the valley and the ocean.

Besides that you find a small gymn in the hotel and a spa area (which I did not use or have looked into). The outside area of the hotel is a bit surprising. The have a small mini golf court but actually no nice place to sit outside (also dinner is entirely inside). This maybe comes from the fact that the hotel does not have too much room around it.

Verdict: besides minor issues we found the stay in the EdV nice and relaxing. If they would improve on the breakfast, everything would be quite perfect. However, I still would prefer this hotel over a large one in the Funchal area in the affluent suburbs.

• Stayed: March 2018, traveled as a couple
Estalagem d, Public Relations Manager at Estalagem do Vale Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2018

Dear member of TripAdvisor,

First of all, we would like to thank you for the time spent rating our hotel, which is something extremely important to us, as we work to provide our guests the best experience abroad possible.

Regarding your comments, we would like to clarify some aspects:

About your remarks on the dinner, we would like to start by saying that our Half board menu is composed by 5 courses (which includes starter, soup, fish and meat dishes and dessert) which is different from the A la carte menu where you can choose between several and different kind of dishes.
We would like also to inform you that beside we have fish and meat dishes on our half board menu, the vegetarian guests and guests with some kind of food intolerance have the choice to ask for a different menu to the Chef. Either the guest can choose what they can/like to eat or the chef can suggest other dishes to substitute the original ones.

As far as our breakfast is concerned, we would like to inform you that we follow the standard pattern of an international breakfast, either we serve buffet or a la carte.
For our breakfast, we provide a variety of different bread, homemade cake and biscuits, always fresh fruit and equally fresh fruit salad, variety of cereals, varieties of dried fruits, 2 types of cheese, ham leg and turkey ham, tomato and cucumber. We also have a hot section with grilled bacon, always fresh scrambled eggs, fried, poached or boiled (on request), beans with tomatoes, cocktail sausages and mushrooms. As drinks, we serve coffee, milk, tea and cocoa, variety of juices and water. For people with lactose or gluten intolerance or vegetarians, we offer specific products, with the intention of satisfying all our customers, maintaining quality and healthy options.

We appreciate your comment on the staff and would like to reinforce that our goal is to provide the best service and holiday experience to our guests. In what concerns to the information on the roads closed, we would like to inform you that every time there is a special event, we put the information on the information board or in the reception desk. For complementary questions, the reception is always happy to help and answer guest questions.

About the Room and Hotel, we understand your remarks however we are placed in a rural area in the middle of the valley, where the level of humidity is generally higher what leads to a faster erosion. To prevent this situation we execute several maintenance works. In what concerns to the reception ceiling, we would like to inform you that, that was an exceptional situation due to a water leakage which was solved as soon as possible because we had to wait for some pieces from outside the island.

We assume that overall you had a pleasant stay in our hotel, and thank you once again for your evaluation.

Kind regards.

Reviewed March 4, 2018

This hotel is way out of Sao Vicente centre up a steep hill so a car is recommended. It's location is part of it's charm as it is quiet and secluded with lovely views of the valley, mountains and sea. All rooms on 2 upper floors have balconies but I think a mountain view room is extra.
The hotel has a relaxed atmosphere and the lounge/bar/dining areas are lovely with comfy seating and log fires. We spent a lot of time there as storm Emma kept us in for two days!
The food is exceptional. If you are on half board, there is a 5 course taster menu every night...which was far too much for us! Had to cut down by the end of the week. All dishes prepared by the chef were excellent. If you have a la carte however, it is quite expensive. Bar prices not too bad.
We used the pool (covered in Feb!) and the gym, which were fine. I imagine the pool and garden area is lovely in the summer with an outside bar and safe children,s play area
One of the plus points about this hotel is it's staff. All well trained, friendly and helpful and fluent in English and French. They were particularly helpful sorting out a problem with our hire car (not booked through them)
However, although the hotel facilities are 4 star I can only really give the rooms 3 stars. Everything is provided and clean and comfortable but really in need of updating. Lighting in bathroom was poor and the hairdryers are those ones like the end of your hoover! Our TV was very old, non-flat, very small screen! Furniture fittings and fabrics a bit tired. Also charged 1.50 per night extra for the room safe which is unnecessary and you lock it with a key which is a nuisance.

I have to mention that we did have a problem with our room. Due to the unprecedented thunderstorm, a leak appeared in our ceiling on the upper floor! We had to then move rooms for the last 2 nights of our week...this we understand. However the room we were given was clearly one not in use and hastily made up. It suffered a number of issues:- No fridge; aircon not working (too hot); keycard did not work the lights; the hot water was not hot (not a problem before) and finally ants appeared!! The only plus was that this room did have a flat screen TV! Whilst I understand the leaking roof was unfortunate, I don't think the hotel was full and can't believe this was the best room they could find us.
As we were going home the following day and had no wish to move again, I gave this list of faults to the reception desk and received apologies. At check-out the following morning we were a little disappointed to see that no discount had been offered for all our inconveniences. We never saw anyone who seemed to be senior management.
This was all a great pity as we had enjoyed our stay until then and would still give it
our recommendation. The weather in Madeira was exceptional last week and the hotel was no doubt struggling with a number of issues. However our situation was not dealt with quite as we would have liked.

Room Tip: Not room 110! Ask for a mountain view if poss
  • Stayed: February 2018, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dee6jay
Reviewed February 15, 2018

The staff are very friendly and the restuarant and breakfasts are both excellent. The rooms are quite small with a tiny old fashioned television and wardrobes that try to harm you.The pool and Jacuzzi were cold. The Hotel is located away from the town centre and is a steep climb. If you are visiting the north of the Island I would suggest Porto Maniz as being a better location. We were presented with a bill that included three items that had already been paid for - this was quickly resolved without musch checking (!?). We also had to pay an extra 10 Euros for a sea view. On the whole somewhat dissapointing and not 4****.

Stayed: February 2018
2  Thank DarylKnapp
Reviewed January 24, 2018

I really liked this place. It was quiet in there and I enjoyed relax in jacuzzi and pool. Nerby you can find a nice town so a perfect location for walks. Dinner was tasty but seemed to me a little pricey. On the other hand, breakfast was excellent and for better price. Nice choice.

• Stayed: October 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank aloyse00100
Reviewed January 1, 2018 via mobile

+ Restaurant 4/5 dish, very good dining.
+ Very affordable.
+ Jacuzzi, Sauna.
+ Good service.
+ Distant, calm area.
+ Minigolf.
+ Great valley view.
+ Free parking.
- Not a high end quality facility.
- Small swimming pool.
- Breakfast boring (eggs, mushrooms, bread, yogurt, serial).

Stayed: December 2017, traveled as a couple
Estalagem d, Guest Relations Manager at Estalagem do Vale Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2018

Dear Tripadvisor member,

We would like to thank you for your positive and negative comments, which we give special attention, it is with your opinion that we can corrected and improved.

Regarding our facilities, it is worth noting that in our hotel you can enjoy a mini golf course, gym, sauna, jacuzzi and Turkish bath, playground, croquet field and a wine cellar where you can taste a good wine and at the same time play pool.
At the end of the day you can enjoy our tea house and read a good book in our “Cantinho do Artista”.

Please note that throughout the hotel, either in the rooms or in all social areas and gardens you can have free internet access.

As for the size of our pool we inform you that it has the appropriate dimensions provided and approved by law for a hotel with our capacity.

As far as our breakfast is concerned, we follow the standard pattern of a buffet breakfast, always provide with variety of different bread every day, homemade cake and biscuits, always fresh fruit and equally fresh fruit salad, variety of cereals, varieties of dried fruits, cheeses, ham leg and turkey ham, tomato, cucumber, hot section with grilled bacon, scrambled eggs, fried, poached or boiled, beans with tomatoes, cocktail sausages and mushrooms, we also have coffee, tea and cocoa, variety of juices and water. We also provide specific products for people with lactose intolerance or vegetarians, with the intention of satisfying all our customers, maintaining quality and healthy options.