Open today: 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM

75kirsty
Doncaster, United Kingdom
via mobile

1,259 results
All reviews english heritage audio guide riding school gift shop overflow car park civil war well worth a visit surrounding countryside wall walk interesting history couple of hours entry fee information boards play area interesting place sunny day riding house
Reviewed 4 days ago

I wasn't too sure what to expect when my partner and I visited this castle as I knew it was a "faux" castle i.e. not really a castle in its truest sense. I thought it would probably closer to a stately home. I was pleasantly surprised - there is so much history here and the audio guide was good. The staff are also extremely friendly and approachable. We were challenged about the guide dog we had with us, but that was done in a polite and friendly way too. We got profuse apologies for the challenge but told the guide it was okay because she was only doing her job and had approached us in a friendly (as oppose to authoritarian) manner.

The hardest thing on the tour was trying to spot the numbers on stones that related to numbers in the guide so that you know where you are. These are low down and once you realise this are easier to follow. Look out for the fact that they tend to be on the outside e,g outside the doorway leading to the thing that they actually refer to. Despite this, it is definitely a great place to visit and we spent most of the day here.

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Great day out with 3 children and hubby . Got a free tour with a very knowable member of staff he went above and beyond to make sure we were all informed and answered questions and involved the children in the group . He is a asset to this castle and next time we visit will look out for him ,thank you

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Enthusiastic about last years brilliant event, we extended our invite to more friends - promising a brilliant evening. How wrong we were! We each paid £13 (9 of us) to wait in a queue for just over an hour, in the freezing cold, with a solitary portaloo for us and numerous others to share. Groups of approximately 30 were hurried around the grounds. Last year, where a good 40 minutes was spent in the haunted little castle, this year we were quickly ushered out after between 5 and 10 measly minutes. The entire tour lasted between 15-20 minutes, with at least 10 of this minutes spent waiting to enter the little castle. This was clearly seen as a cash cow, probably managed by the type of morons we see on The Apprentice and I certainly won’t be visiting again unless refunds are provided. Let down.

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Omg this was fantastic well done to all the organisers the actors were brilliant I had to leave it was so realistic because i had to leave they were so supportive they couldn't do enough for you we will definitely be back next year now that we know what's involved we went back today for a visit to the castle in the day it's our 4th visit

1  Thank Jayne G
Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Last night, myself and six friends visited the fright night at the castle and quite frankly it was terrible and massively over priced. Nothing at all like last years, which was far more entertaining, and left us all feeling slightly spooked. This year we spent 1 hour queuing to get into the castle in the freezing cold, with nowhere to go to to the toilet or even get a drink to warm us up. There was far too much talking and not enough frightening people!! Pretty dull! Definitely won’t be going again!

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

So very disappointing in every sense. The castle itself is stunning and lends itself entirely to the theme of Halloween. However, what I was expecting was a walk through experience, being chased by ghouls and frightful characters and what I actually got was a couple of random people in costumes in random rooms with no real coherence to them or point. Where was the lighting? The decorations? The actual point of it all? The first room had a large screen with a projector playing a short introduction although the voice over was almost impossible to decipher and it looked promising, mentions of the Black Plague and the living dead etc. In the next room a plague Doctor playing with a corpse's internal organs. In the next room the Lord of the Manor having a bit of a rant.
We were ushered through a courtyard with a couple of badly dressed zombies and some soldiers with firearms and that was pretty much it. To top it off at the end of the very short tour we were unable to purchase any food as it was "cash only". It was a flop and so disappointing. The 2 stars I've rated are purely for the castle and ruins which are beautiful.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Went tonight with some friends, and quite frankly was a bit disappointed, but it was a good night out. I think the plot could have extended a bit more and overall needed more jumps and excitement

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

After 40 years of visiting the area and looking at it from a distance (my wife comes from a few miles away) I finally got to Bolsover Castle. Not to my mind as impressive as Hardwick Hall but pretty impressive. I particularly liked the contrast between the Little Castle, the ruined Terrace Halls and The Riding House and the wall walk although the restoration of the wall walk was disappointing. Why the need to use such perfectly cut stones?
The displays in the Riding House I enjoyed as they told the background to part of the castle’s history.
The views out over Derbyshire are lovely although you need to blot out of your mind the M1 and the industrial estates. Here Hardwick wins hands down.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

A really beautiful place to be on a clear day with wonderful views of the countryside. Free for English heritage members and there are toilet facilities and a cafe on site. The castle grounds and the buildings with no roof you can enter with a buggy/wheelchair but the castle itself has quite a few steps to enter. A real gem of a place steeped in history. The only downfall is the extremely limited parking. There are 2 very very small cars parks and the streets are all double yellow so I would suggest a mid week visited or first thing.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Gorgeous place with so much history. The kids loved the tricks and tonics interactive entertainment. Fantastic afternoon for all the family.

1  Thank dawnproctor75