The Ovens Natural Park
Reviewed August 16, 2014

We took the walking tour to the caves. We expected a lot more based on the brochures. Should have read the Tripadvisor reviews first. Skip it.

4  Thank Kevin56003

Reviewed August 13, 2014

After we finally found the spot in the dark and fog, we were happy to get out of the car and into our cabin! We ended our Canadian Maritimes adventure here and had a great time. We wanted to get into Lunenburg and tour around and ran into another great town, Mahone Bay. Our kids enjoyed the ocean, rocks and playground as well as touring the Ovens. We had a great late breakfast our first morning there and then headed out to Lunenburg. We didn't figure the dinner thing out - but you need to make reservations. The staff weren't very helpful in communicating that you would need a reservation. I think once the music starts back and they are open for the season, it is a very popular local spot. We did have dinner there our last night, we squeaked in!, and it was great fun!

1  Thank ladybugg18
Reviewed August 10, 2014

We had not planned to visit The Oven's, but during a drive down the South Shore, we saw a few signs, so decided to check it out.
We arrived at the gate of the Oven's Park, to be greeted by a friendly young woman. We explained that we wanted to have dinner, at their restaurant. It was late afternoon, and we didn't have proper footwear for hiking the trails, so hoped to come back the following week-end. We were told we needed to pay $5.00 each, to eat at the restaurant. This was fine, if that is the fee, but decided not to enter. The staff member was very friendly, and offered us a brochure. At this point, everything would have been fine. I turned my car around, and pulled ahead, to the side of the road. I got out of the car, as I noticed a washroom sign, and was hoping to use the facilities before the 20 minute drive to the next town. I was approached by a gruff female member of the staff, who asked me if I planned on paying. (Brown hair, middle aged, glasses) I asked if I could possibly use the washroom. "Sorry hun", was her response. She was gruff, rude and dismissive. I was somewhat in shock that she wanted me to pay the $8 entrance fee so I could use the facilities.
I have often thought of bringing my family to The Ovens for the weekend to camp, but after the treatment, by the staff member, I would rather spend my money elsewhere. This was a complete turn off, and I will tell anyone who will listen about the poor treatment. After reading the other reviews this seems to be a theme. Perhaps the owners should review what 'customer service' is all about. Clearly if you're not flashing the dollar bills, you're treated as a waste of time. Disgusted....

13  Thank Jylian
Reviewed August 5, 2014

We did not stay here however we went for the day and enjoyed the caves so much and the beach, cheap ice cream as well to finish our day here. I loved this place, I will try to camp in one of their cottages next time we go, kids had a blast exploring, reasonable, cool, great views and you can walk down right in the caves, safe as well. I highly recommend, we found this place the coolest in lunenburg, however it is about 20 min. away in Rockport.

3  Thank Kerbear2u
Reviewed August 4, 2014

We did not stay at the campsite. We visited for the day, a 2 hour hike along the coastline. The Ovens are amazing--hollowed out areas of the rocky coast, and the hike is very enjoyable. The trail is serviceable but narrow, and the area is not well-marked. The site provided a map but it didn't seem to correlate with the signs on the trail. Seemed a bit expensive for what was provided, but I'd do it again for the view/hike. The kids loved it. I cannot comment on the camping.

1  Thank HersheyTraveler1969