“Loved the OVENS!”

14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Loved the OVENS!”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

What a beautiful park with beautiful views along the sea caves hike. We really loved every part of the hike and took so many photos. If we come back again, we'd stay here. Looked like a lot of fun and what a great history story about the mining. btw the washrooms, while they look like outhouses, are not. They are clean and they are flush toilets.

2 Thank SerenaM234

Halifax, NS
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Not worth camping here”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

First off I am not a person to complain, but here I feel it very necessary for someone not to be put in the same situation we were in.
We booked a site at the Ovens campground over a month ago. I requested a more private lot ( not in a open field). When we arrived we were given lot 140. We drove to our spot on a bumpy not taken care of road and ended up at a spot that was entirely bumpy, there was not one flat part of ground, let alone enough space for us to set up a tent. I really thought this was a joke. We went back and explained that we cannot fit anything there and it definately should not be classified as a lot. The way they work at booking things is paper and pencil. There were numerous other people at that time in the office under the same situation we were in. We were all given the 4 lots that were available to go look and see if we wanted them and to come back.

After driving and nearly damaging our car on the terrible roads, there was still not a good lot available. The lady then sends us up this hill which was a beaten grass path ( in her words), we were literally driving in the forrest, but thats exactly where she told us to go, after I asked are you sure and she pointed and sent us there. We get back to the office and I told her that is not a road, she proceeded to ask another worker who told her that is not a road and there is nothing up there. Anyways, after all of this we nearly turned around and drove home. She some how found another lot which was tucked away up on a field. We took it and made the best of it.

The lady working there seemed to know nothing about the grounds and was not helpful. ( may have been her first day).

You can easily tell that the owners do not upkeep this property. No money goes back into the campground.

The pool is brown. This is because of mildew build up on the sides and bottom of pool that does not get cleaned.

I highly do NOT recommend this campground. There are many other well taken care of campgrounds in NS worth visiting but this one is at the bottom of our list.

8 Thank HKatie
Saint John, Canada
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Ovens ...time to turn off the broiler”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

After a four hundred and eighty kilometer trip, we arrived at Ovens at 9 AM, ready to set up and start our vacation, but we are told we cant go into the park and set up till 1 PM that afternoon(our site and the park was virtually empty). Once we arrived at our site we had to burrow the water hook up from the lot next door ours was leaking(another visitor said it was leaking for the week prior as well). The lots at ovens are not made to fit today's trailers' ours isn't big with only one slide, but it was in the lot next to me and my canopy was in the other one. With a premium price and sub pare services , we will not be going back ever.

5 Thank Ashley E
North Bay, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“family camping”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We are a family of five travelling from Ontario. We camped for three nights at the Ovens and that was definitely more then enough time at this park. The views were spectacular and if you wanted seaside camping to wake up to the ocean every morning this is the place to be. The walking tour to the caves was the highlight for our family. Unfortunately the view and the caves is all the campground offers.
Having three children to entertain, this campground offered very little. The beach is not recommended for swimming, the pool appears run down and filthy. Time to renovate. The campground appeared run down.The cost of the park is the most expensive we encountered in the province.
Definitely a place to make a day visit with the kids if you want to witness the ocean beauty and experience sea caves but I would not recommend the camping facilities for a lengthy stay for your family.

2 Thank nbay43335
Halifax, Canada
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“A Beautiful Spot”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

This is a great spot to visit for a couple of hours before spending the rest of the day in Lunenburg or Mahone Bay. The scenery is beautiful, the caves are fun! I think it is worth the $8 admission fee. The paths around the caves seem to be well maintained and, given the nature of the trail, this is important.

I would suggest at least three hours here:
- the cave trail (short but strenuous (stairs) and slippery if you go into the two caves you are able to)
- the beach and 'reef'
- Lunch at the yummy diner or your own picnic meal and get an ice cream!

There is also a small 'general' store with snacks and souvenirs and a nice little museum (though I would like some additional content/context for the items on display).

If you want to spend more time here, you can 'pan for gold' or rent a canoe/kayak. (I didn't do either of these). It's also a campground.

Con: They advertise a 'petting zoo'. My friends daughter went to check it out and was very disappointed. Only a couple of sad looking animals. Disclaimer: I didn't go look myself.

This is my second trip to The Ovens and I always recommend it to people as a great spot to spend a morning or whole day if they're in the area.

Visited July 2013