“LOVELY ENGLISH COACHING INN”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Buckden
The George Hotel & Brasserie
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Buckden
Reviewed April 10, 2014

The George Hotel at Buckden has much to commend it - not least its ideal position just minutes from the A1 in Cambridgeshire. Our overnight stop could not have been better. We had a middle range bedroom - perhaps slightly dark - not helped by the bed blocking the window. Very small en suite bathroom too. But these are old buildings with uneven walls and floors and I think that the bedroom "got away with its quirkiness' by virtue of its age. Tea and coffee not in the bedroom but brought up via free room service. Home-made shortbread squares available on a landing table. Nice touch. The open plan ground floor is lovely. A full range of seating from sofas and easychairs....to a nice dining area (starched white tablecloths at night)...and a brasserie area covers the midway.

The George runs a good, quite adventurous kitchen and an interesting menu (lunch and dinner). Private parking area and a wonderful ladies clothes shop is attached to the side of the hotel (access also from the hotel). Well worth a visit.

Finally, an easy and friendly staff team run The George. Casual, helpful and inobtrusive. Would I return...would I recommend The George at Buckden - yes, indeed I would.

Room Tip: Can be dark rooms with compact bathrooms. Might be worth asking
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jingle05
Sam E, Manager at The George Hotel & Brasserie, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2014

Thank you for your review, I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. We do aim to please with all aspects of the hotel and brasserie. The rooms are all different with some being lighter than others. They are all individually designed in keeping with the old building. We have a number of customers who do have favourites and ones that like to try the different ones. My personal favourite is Harrison.

Reviewed April 6, 2014

went for a birthday Sunday lunch party of 11, set menu £20 for two courses £25 for three. Starters arrived and all were good sadly can't be said for the main. All mains arrived and all were luke warm not one was hot, plates were all cold! The roast beef gravy tasted burnt and was not pleasant and accompanied by inedible roast potatoes. I noticed that other tables were also leaving their roast potatoes so probably not just ours? We did complain however no one came out to see us or discuss our comments which felt was very poor service. I was surprised that there were no additional plates of vegetables served, as dishes did not hold many vegetables. The fish dish had 3 pieces asparagus and the guinea fowl had spoonful of green cabbage and 3 pieces carrot. puddings were ok although nothing special. Although appreciate paying for fine dinning however believe that the food didn't live up to price and wouldn't recommend again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

I am so sorry to hear that your Sunday lunch was not up to our usual standards. Our Brasserie food is something we are very proud of so to hear your comments is disappointing . I have passed your comments on to the Head Chef who will be addressing this with his team.

Reviewed April 2, 2014

We went for the Mother and Daughter lunch which included a glass of champagne. It was of course quite busy but thought being a popular hotel restaurant the staff would be able to deal with the number of guests. We sat outside in the sun which was lovely and waited and waited. The food when it finally arrived was delicious, but the whole experience was spoiled by the very poor service from start to finish. We even had to find someone to pay the bill! Sadly, this is not the first time this has happened, but if you persevere, the food is excellent.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Sam E, Manager at The George Hotel & Brasserie, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2014

Thank you for your feedback, I am glad you enjoyed your food but disappointed to hear that the service was slow and didn't meet yours, or our, expectations.
I will certainly be addressing the matter with the team, providing extra training so that all our guests are looked after well.
We do aim to make the whole experience an enjoyable one.

Reviewed March 29, 2014

This is my second stay at this delightful small hotel. The first time I stayed alone but this time I had the twin room called George Handel as I visited with my mother. She was amazed at how busy the hotel was from the time we arrived until we left next morning even though it was a week day.
On arrival we were welcomed by one of the friendliest most helpful receptionists I have met who remembered me from almost 12 months ago. We were provided with complimentary coffee in the bar which was buzzing at lunchtime so had a great atmosphere.
We ate in in the evening and a sign of how helpful they are is that although the restaurant was fully booked with an Italian night they reserved a table for us in the bar to have the normal a la carte menu. The food was delicious and slightly slow service forgiven given how busy they were.
I found the bed absolutely fine but my mother did say she found it slightly hard and does prefer a duvet to sheets and blankets.
The bathroom was lovley, very warm, great powerful shower over the bath and very good toiletries. The towels were lovely and fluffy and there were bathrobes although with a one night stay we didn't use them.
Breakfast was excellent. Freshly squeezed orange juice which is too rare in the UK, apple juice, Greek yoghurt with dried fruits, homemade granola, cereal selection, wonderful fruit yogurts, fabulous selection of homemade jams including greengage plus honey and lemon curd. The almond and chocolate croissants looked yummy but I was too full after my freshly cooked bacon, sausage , egg etc. You could also have a whole host of other cooked options.
A lovely touch is that a morning newspaper of your choice is left outside your room and tea/coffee are served whenever you wish. All are complimentary. it made a nice change not to have to make our own from a hospitality tray especially in the morning. Also there is a table of home made shortbread and fruit to help yourself to. The shortbread was very yummy. These little touches plus the friendly and helpful staff make this place a little gem when far too many hotels are impersonal chains. I will definitely be returning and next time will hope to have longer to browse in the beautiful dress shop the hotel owner runs. Definitely the place for a wedding outfit.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for your lovely review of the hotel. We have just celebrated our 10th birthday and the receptionist you mentioned has been with us 10 years and does have an incredible memory of names and faces. I'm glad the whole experience was enjoyable and you will definitely have to give yourself more time for a little shopping next time!

Reviewed March 18, 2014

A good relaxed meal in a comfortable bistro-type environment. Service at the beginning and end of the meal a bit slow, but quality of food was excellent. Puddings in particular excelled, sufficient to compliment the chef (rare for me !) Would go again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

I'm delighted you had a lovely lunch and believe me we all get tempted with the delicious desserts. You will have to try our Afternoon Tea next time.

Reviewed February 8, 2014

Arrived about 12.45, space limited in the car park so had to park 100m away. Buckden High Street is very narrow. Went into the bar area and found seats on the periphery, the area hadn't been cleaned up and the table had a single napkin discarded on it. which surprised me with the amount of staff on. That said after that I was pleasantly surprised. Menu very reasonably priced, food was served soon after and of good quality and hot. Staff were attentive at appropriate times which made for a very enjoyable lunch. There was a good atmosphere and you could tell there was a regular client base from the village and surrounding areas. Would I go back, yes I would. Nice one The George

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lennys606

Thank you for your comments regarding your lunch. I am delighted the food and the service exceeded your initial thoughts, we hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

My husband and I had lunch here yesterday and I wanted to write as it was so good in every way. The food was excellent and I could not fault it. We both had cottage pie which was tasty and not at all heavy or fatty just full of flavour. Starters and deserts also wonderful. The presentation of food, service and surroundings were all first class. £22 for three courses of this quality is great value.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
PHILIP R, Manager at The George Hotel & Brasserie, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

Thank you very much for your kind words and feedback on your experience at The George! The Cottage Pie has certainly been very a popular option on the menu. We aim to provide a first class experience and we are pleased that this proved to be the case on your visit. Welcome back and see you in the near future here at The George.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Buckden
The Lion Hotel
The Waterfront Hotel, Spa & Golf
The Old Bridge
The Old Bridge
#1 of 9 in Huntingdon

Been to The George Hotel & Brasserie? Share your experiences!