“Ivory House. B/B. in Gorebridge”
Review of Ivory House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gorebridge
Ivory House
Ranked #1 of 1 Gorebridge B&B and Inns
Christchurch
“Ivory House. B/B. in Gorebridge”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I have just returned having spent 4 days with Jack and Barbara in their lovely home. Its a little oasis in Gorebridge, lovely surroundings and so peaceful. I arrived very late at night but nevertheless received a warm welcome from Barbara. I was there under very sad circumstances and they really helped me. There is a lovely large lounge with coffee making facilities and lots of books plus TV. I had a lovely comfortable bedroom. I would certainly recommend this b/b. They felt like friends when I left.

Mary Fraser

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Bodmin, Cornwall
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We arrived in a bit of a state; we had cycled 60 miles in the worst of the September gales and flooding and looked like drowned rats; mine host was totally unfazed, locked up our bicycles, gave us hot tea and conducted us to a spacious room with a glorious high-pressure shower. When we felt human again he directed us to a good restaurant within walking distance, and we ended a difficult day in the lap of luxury. The big communal sitting room with its high ceilings, tall windows looking out over the garden (at the rain) and coffee on tap is a welcome feature. The family seems to collect china and plate, which gave the house a quirky feel. Jack is from Edinburgh but was formerly a London policeman and has many a tale to tell. His breakfasts are memorable, complete with home-made marmalade and Scottish touches (haggis, white pudding) which I'm afraid remained untouched. Ivory House is in a fairly unprepossessing area but I'd be happy to recommend it - decent value, too.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Patrick M
Chester
Reviewed April 9, 2012

We stayed here in May 2010 for a wedding we attended nearby. On our return we tried to write a review on here but were unsuccessful! We had a lovely stay here with Jack and Barbara. They couldn't do more for us. On arrival we were served afternoon tea in the sitting room which we had entirely to ourselves and made to feel very at home.

We stayed in the four poster bed room which was an experience in itself. It was extremely comfortable and grand, and not at all what we expected from a bed and breakfast. This definitely is a four star B&B. If we are ever in the area again we would not hesitate to stay here.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Catt32
Clausthal-Zellerfeld, Germany
Reviewed November 20, 2011

We had a very nice time in Gorebridge and would like to thank Babara and Jack for everything.
Both gave us all the information we needed to have a nice holiday.
I dont agree that the buses to Edinburgh were not fast enough.The fastes Bus was the Nr. 29 and took about 35 minutes to Endinburgh Princess Street.According to the costs of Parking in Edinburgh this was the best alternative.
And we really did like the Coach House.
We hope to be back next year.

Frank,Irmgard,Natalie and Rosel
Germany

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
england
Reviewed August 15, 2011

Nice comfortable rooms en-suite. Period house with lots of charm & character.
Barbara & Jack were perfect hosts & helped us plan our visit to the Edinburgh Festival for parking. They were also kind enough to give is us a Free pass to Camera Obscura which saved us over £26.

Breakfast was fantastic lots of it.

Have to say its one of the nicest B & B Guest Houses ive stayed in & would recommend to my friends & family & Tripadvisor.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed July 30, 2011

We agree fully with ChopPhooey's review back in 2007. We too found the rooms tired, the grey housing estate location depressing. and public transport to Edinburgh diabolical (we gave up after 30 minutes on a bus and no end in site -- as we found out later, there is a faster alternative, but the owner failed to disclose it even though asked). Having said that, the faster alternative is not that fast, so if thinking to stay here and visit Edinburgh without taking the car, think again.

The owner was trying to be friendly, but need to be sensitive to when guests are not interested in long personal stories.

On the plus note, it's clean and has decent amenities.

For the price point and its 4-star rating, we were extremely disappointed, and equally disappointed with the owner's seeming unconcern with our dissatisfaction. We expressed our unhappiness while staying there but the owner made no concessions or suggestions to improve our experience. Wish we'd stayed somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Leo_Haque
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed March 19, 2011

I arrived at the Ivory House in the middle of a snowstorm - most transportation was shut down, and it had been a long journey to get there. I was warmly greeted by Jack and Barbara, who immediately brought hot tea and made me feel very welcome as I joined my extended family. There was a warm, pleasant sitting room with books and games and a fire which we comfortably passed many hours in, watching the snow fall outside the huge picture window. I slept very well in a large, comfortable bed. Everything was clean and elegant. At breakfast, my vegetarian diet was more than accommodated - there were special vegetarian sausages and other delicious items cooked by Jack. As my family and I waited for news of our international flights (the airports were closed due to snow) Jack and Barbara helped us by making calls, coordinating travel, and waking up in the middle of the night to do it all again. When I finally left, it was thanks to the kindness of Jack, who drove me all the way to Edinburgh despite snowy roads and closed bus service. The entire visit was characterized by comfort and kindness, with no shortage of beautiful surroundings. I would highly recommend this guesthouse to other travelers - the space is lovely, the food is excellent, and I couldn't ask for better hosts. This is what makes travel meaningful!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gorebridge
Premier Inn Edinburgh A1 (Musselburgh) Hotel
Melville Castle
Melville Castle
#2 of 3 in Dalkeith
Chapel Cross Guest House

Been to Ivory House? Share your experiences!