“Stay away from this site.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jumieges
Camping de la Foret
Midsomer Norton, null, United Kingdom
“Stay away from this site.”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Stayed here one night in our campervan while touring France. Receptionist is the most aggressive person I have ever come across in the service industry.
We don't speak any French so as soon as she discovered this she didn't even want to talk to us.
The internet advertised the price of the site from £17.50 that included electricity. We were in fact charged 24.60 euros. A bit steep for april.When we complained and said the price on the internet was much less, the receptionist who was a huge woman , came round the desk and practically threw us out of reception, raving in French and waving her hands in the air.
We were also told we could get wifi, which we couldn't get. There was no toilet paper in any of the toilets and it wasn`t what I call clean.
We would have moved on but it was getting late and we didn't want to get stuck without a site.
Reading other reviews, I think other people have had the same experience as us.
VERY expensive and nothing for your money except a parking place.
.The trees also needed trimming as they hit the top of the camper.
My advice is stay away.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Patricia E

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

Have just returned from a two week tour of France in our camper van, had some sites booked, but wanted to have some freedom to stay wherever we liked towards the end
Read one of our camping site books, Camping de la Foret, sounded good, having a 4star rating,
I tried to book the site the night before, I speak reasonable French, but the young girl at the other end would not give me the time of day.... I asked if she spoke English, and received a,....Non.... Then she hung up
I tried again a while later, thinking I would get another person, but no...exactly the same again..and hung up
I know I should have gone elsewhere then....but I thought only one person had done this, and the site has 4 stars, So
We drove to the site, and in French asked if a pitch was available, she asked, in French for our passports, quite aggressively but I showed her our camping and caravan club card and she changed.....immediately to speeking perfect English and being very helpful ?????
We found the facilities to be clean, but old and worn and the water to the showers cut off at 10.00pm along with a total silence order on the full campsite...and I mean total silence
Another couple we spoke to as we left, told us how they had the site booked, but as they were running late, tried to phone and let them know, only to have the same treatment as us, wouldn't speak to there broken French and hung up, upon arrival they pitched on a vacant spot, not wishing to disturb anyone, and seeing lights on in the house, knocked on the door, to be met by a torrent of abuse, leaving the woman in tears...this was at 9.30pm....not early hours of the morning
I know some folk will say if in a foreign land you should speak their language, and I agree to a point
BUT, I speak reasonable French, struggle on some words and if they speak fast....But at the end of the day, they work in the Tourist industry and are listed by The camping and caravan club and The caravan club, both British
My advice is STAY AWAY FROM THIS SITE !!!!!

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank taylorfamilyben
Trowbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We stayed at de la foret at the end of July for 3 nights in a touring caravan. Our french is not very good and we are a bit nervous after reading some of the reviews on here, but have to say that "madam" in reception was not at all as we were expecting. The office closes over the lunchtime period and we arrived during this time. Madam was very happy to open the office for us and we used our limited french to confirm we had made a booking and she was very helpful and friendly.

Our pitch was a bit tricky to access, but the site was just lovely, the facilities were clean, as was the pool and although the shop had limited supplies, the site was visited every morning by a van with fresh baguettes, croissants etc. We loved the village of Jumieges, it was very pretty and the people we met there were very friendly. We would love to explore this area more and hope to revisit again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank SuzyP28
weymouth
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Location of site lovely, but Madam in reception was enough to put us off ever going there again. She was rude and uncooperative, and made no attempt to speak English or even French slowly to help those of us who are not fluent in French. The pitches were not over generous, and some were difficult to get on to. We were in a motorhome and had to reverse up a narrow access road to get on to our site, it would have been doubly difficult with a caravan!

• Stayed June 2012
Hitchin, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Stayed for 5 days earlier this June and when we arrived I asked the lady behind the counter if she spoke English (as my French is very limited and didn't want to misunderstand anything), I got a very curt NON! And she was very snippy after this request for the rest of our encounter. We were asked to pay a 450Euro deposit which was more than we'd paid for the total stay! The van was nice enough although the bathroom sink wasn't very clean but I cleaned it and said nothing. Read through the extensive final cleaning instruction and was told by the man who showed us to the van to "leave it as we found it" Which we did. When I went to get the deposit back and check out, she went to check the van and said it was not clean enough (in French)! She then proceeded to frog-march me back to let me know that the floors were not mopped, although there was no mop available, and she said the shower was dirty as there were bubbles in it from cleaning it and complained that the chairs and tables were not raised off the floor but they had not been when we got in there. There were no cleaning supplies provided, only a dustpan and brush, floor rag, broom and bucket and I thought it was too much to ask I get down on my hands and knees to clean the floors since we were afterall, on holiday! I got my deposit back eventually but felt embarrassed and degraded by her behaviour. I would never go back to this camp again and would not recommend this to anyone I know - the owners are racist and rude. She obviously had not done this to the previous tenant or the sink would have been cleaner. Aside form this, the beds weren't very comfortable but the kitchen was well equipt.

Room Tip: Try another site!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank kitschqueenofherts
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Stayed here for a week in the most lovely and well equipped mobile home. They provide all the things you're never quite sure will be in a place - eiderdowns, blankets, a clothes airer, a parasol etc. The site is beautiful and nice and quiet, but there is still a swimming pool and a little play area to keep the kids happy. There's a washing machine and dryer you can use for 3.5 euros each & a games/tv room. Everything was spotlessly clean, but more on that later...

The man who seemed to run the place with a woman I took to be his mother was really friendly and helpful.

Jumieges itself is a lovely place, and the abbey very impressive.

Overall we had a fantastic holiday, despite pretty grim weather (there was a heater) and I would really recommend the place BUT...

Having read some reviews on Trip Advisor about the less than friendly lady on reception & the fact you have to clean the mobile home yourself, I thought forewarned was forearmed. Unfortunately that was not so! There was a long list of things you were supposed to do on departure, including defrosting the fridge freezer the night before and cleaning it, disconnecting the shower head and cleaning that, washing AND drying all of the floors, dusting, etc, etc.

I thought the defrosting part was a bit much but managed to swallow it and duly followed all of the instructions, using my own cleaning products as they don't provide them, and feeling pretty proud of myself that I'd managed to help my husband pack, have breakfast, make a packed lunch, get the children ready and clean the entire place before 10am.

When the lady came to check the inventory I was expecting her to do just that - ie check we hadn't pinched anything. She did do that, but she also inspected my cleaning. Apparently the shower door wasn't clean enough, the sink should have been dried as well as cleaned, and the floor cloth and bucket put away under the sink. When I said I'd left them out because I thought she would want to take the cloth away, she accused me of not washing the floor because the cloth wasn't wet!

The reason they give for people having to clean themselves is that in high season (which it wasn't) they don't have the time to clean them. They only rent out about 10 homes in total and have 5 hours between departure and the next arrival. And we were the only people leaving that day! I would have been more than happy to have paid an extra 20 or 30 euros to have cleaning included. What a shame, having my cleaning criticised when I was supposed to be on holiday left a bit of a sour taste, and though we otherwise adored the place, I'm not sure if I'll be able to bring myself to book again...

Saying that, my husband found the lady to be really sweet and helpful every time he spoke to her - think she must have a problem with women!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank JellyH_12
Carmarthen, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 10, 2011

Stayed here for 3 nights in May in our campervan. Very clean, plenty of hot water. Receptionist was helpful. very quite in the evenings. The setting was pleasant with an easy walk or bike ride into Jumieges. Had some lovely bike rides in the area on both sides of the Seine, taking advantage of the free ferry. Would certainly stop here again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank gerry041
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jumieges
Le Clos des Fontaines
#1 of 2 in Pont-Audemer
Au Temps des Cerises
Au Temps des Cerises
#1 of 4 in Jumieges

Been to Camping de la Foret? Share your experiences!