“A wonderful place and host”

Review of D Day Tours B&B

The farmhouse kitchen
Sitting room
The Kingcome room - named after Brian Kingome a superb WWII Spitfire pilot
The Victorian room
The style of the bathrooms
Part of the greeting team - Saffron
Jaye and Saffron
Ben
Ben and his Spitfire
Ben not having a good afternoon - crashing the Spitfire!
The Cannon...
Firing the cannon - just your regular Sunday afternoon...
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
engimoore
Indianapolis, Indiana
“A wonderful place and host”
Reviewed June 15, 2018 for a stay in June 2018

My son and I had the pleasure of spending three nights and two days with Ben and Jaye. With two other couples who were at the house, we were treated to fantastic dinners, good conversation, and a very unique perspective on the US D-Day landings. On the first day, Ben does a wonderful job of bringing the idea of the greater conflict to very specific and granular details, providing a rousing narrative on what transpired from the early morning hours of June 6th through the first days of the campaign in the area right around where you're staying. The second day widens the scope as you begin to see the greater scope of the operation. Our only wish is that there had been more hours in the day to spend! Truly highly recommended.

Your age range 35-49
PLemel
Brevard, North Carolina
“An Unforfettable Experirnce”
Reviewed April 17, 2018 for a stay in April 2018

Cannot day enough good things about this experience. Ben was recommended by a friend who says he was very impressed with the experience. This does not come close to quantifying I and my family’s trip. Ben imparts his expertise with far more knowledge and personality than your typical guide... And you stay in his house! Make sure you watch the second episode of “Band of Brothers” and Saving Private Ryan before you go! Don’t leave without talking to Ben’s neighbor Lucien a local who lived through the entire occupation and liberation of Normandy.

Apr 19, 2018
Many thanks for the kind words Mark - much appreciated.
Frank C
“An unforgettable experience, 6 out of 5 stars”
Reviewed March 3, 2018 for a stay in September 2017

Ben and Jaye are incredible! Ben’s tour is one of a kind and brings D-Day to life right before your eyes. From the moment we stepped off the (still moving) train at Carentan Station until the moment we said goodbye, Ben and Jaye treated us like lifetime friends. They have a beautiful and comfortable home and they entertain you with amazing food and great stories. I highly recommend the two-day tour for anyone who wants to learn more about D-Day. In my two-week stay in Europe, I saw great cities like Amsterdam, Paris, and London, but Ben’s amazing tour through the quiet Norman countryside is still the part that I will remember forever. I can’t wait to go back!

Karl L
FAYETTEVILLE
“A tour filled with personal stories about individual American soldiers and what they did in these fateful days.”
Reviewed November 8, 2017 for a stay in September 2017

We had two full days with Ben. First day at Utah Beach and the inland villages where the Airborne landed. Second day at Omaha and related inland locations. Both days you see the actual places that you have seen depicted in movies from The Longest Day to Saving Private Ryan and learn what actually happened there. Ben and his wife were gracious hosts, sharing their lovingly restored villa. He has tracked down the families and stories of many of our young men who gave their lives, making the tour personal and real. We had been to Omaha Beach before with a larger tour group, but it was superficial by comparison. My only regret is that we did not book a third day with Ben.

frankback...
Bedford, Texas
“Excellent tour; best I have ever been on”
Reviewed October 17, 2017 for a stay in September 2017

From the time Ben picked us up at the train station until he dropped us off, we thoroughly enjoyed the hospitality provided by both him and his wife. We felt welcome in his home as if we were family. Ben's knowledge of the D-Day events was incredible. He had many personal stories of those who served and died in the area. Each stop on the tour was an experience in itself. We especially enjoyed meeting Lucien and the great museum Ben took us to. I have traveled to five continents and taken many tours and I have to say that Ben's tour was, by far, the best I have ever taken. I would recommend it to anyone who asks and even to those who don't.

rivertrav...
Tucson, Arizona
“A Brilliant, Memorable, Heart-Touching Experience...Ben Trumble The Only Way To Do Normandy”
Reviewed October 11, 2017 for a stay in September 2017

The trip to Normandy was not my idea but I was willing to go along with my husband and another couple. Little did I know what an important experience lay in store for me. From the moment we arrived at the Manor House I felt welcome and "at home". Ben and Jaye are perfect hosts in their beautiful, spacious restored home that is at once comfortably modern and historically charming. Jaye is such a wonderful cook and creates relaxing atmosphere, along with the darling dog, "Saffy" and the resident chicken "Lady Mary". Ben is the perfect historian with his amazing memory for names dates and details but even more important is his ability to invest the stories of D-Day with the magic of his storytelling. As we stood at various important sites, Ben would show us his black and white photos of how it looked in 1944, then proceed to weave a spell with his words. i could look out on the site and vividly imagine the scene coming to life before me. Meeting with Ben's neighbor Lucien, who (like me) was a child during the war, hearing his story and seeing his memorial wall brought a deeply personal and different view of D-Day from the aspect of the civilian experience. Ben brought every site to life with his knowledge and insights. I not only learned about but also felt the events as they unfolded.
At the end of each day it was comforting to return to the fireside of Manor House to unwind and reflect. I cannot imagine any way in which this tour was not incredible. It is an experience I will never forget. And neither will you. Do this tour with Ben Trumble...you will be forever grateful that you did!

Oct 13, 2017
Such lovely sentiments expressed and gratefully received. You were equally memorable guests and we hope our paths cross again - who knows perhaps in America!
wildernes...
Beachburg
“D-DAY, UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL”
Reviewed October 11, 2017 for a stay in September 2017

My uncle Joe, who I was named after was shot down early morning on D-Day and my father landed on D+21 so it holds a special interest for me and my family. Uncle Joe's crash site was recently discovered and my cousins visited a few years ago staying with Ben Trumble, who provides personalized D-Day tours. They raved about Ben and the tour and highly recommended it. On a recent trip to Europe, we added it to our itinerary. Thanks to Ben and his wife Jaye, it was the highlight of our trip.

We stayed 3 nights in their beautiful home and were graciously hosted by Ben and Jaye. The accommodations were superb, Jaye's meals were terrific and the conversation engaging.

Our 2-day tour was excellent and literally started near their house. My uncle's crash site was nearby and Ben introduced us to a neighbor who was 10 years old on D-Day who related his experience (in French but Ben translated).

We toured St Mere Eglise, the big gun placements, Point du Hoc, Utah and Omaha beaches and the American Cemetery. Ben brought each site to life with stories of individual heroics, including the battle of the bridge in the Tom Hank's movie, "Saving Private Ryan".

Ben and Jaye provided us a truly memorable experience worthy of a 5-star rating. I highly recommend it.

Oct 13, 2017
Every time I visit the crash site you and the chaps will come to mind - and the story of your Uncle Joe will be re told. Your kind words much appreciated.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing