“good location and nice staff”
Review of Lipe Beach Resort

Lipe Beach Resort
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I spend two nights in lipe beach resort. it is a bit away from all the noyce of the main strip and is located at the -by far- best beach in koh lipe. water is crystal clear just off the resort.
the staff was nice and the food decent. very nice setting in the reception area with swinning balconies hanging in rope where you can have your meals served or enjoy a cool drink.
The bamboo hut that we stayed in was quite simple and a bit pricey for its value. but hey you gotta pay to stay in such a newly developped island as Koh Lipe. Generally the entire island is quite pricey comapared to rest of Thailand. the food and rooms cost about 3 times more than they do on the Malaysian island of Langkawi just 1 hour by ferry away. however it is completely different settings in Koh Lipe.
I would choose to stay in the same resort whenever I come back and I would also recommend to friends/family.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Location of the resort is perfect - it is situated on the most beautiful beach on Ko Lipe. They pick up all the rubbish from the beach, so the sand is perfectly clean and you can see the difference when you go for a walk round the island. Our bamboo house was basic, but it had amazing view on the beach (we could see the sunrise from our bed). This place is simply simply beautiful, we had a great week in this little paradise.

3  Thank nataliampl
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Perhaps I'm just being a big girl about this but wanted to give an objective description of what you'll get! I was expecting basic, it's a beach hut after all, but some simple improvements would've made my stay a lot more enjoyable.

The room had a matress with mozzy net, a fan and a small table in the corner. There wasn't anywhere really to put anything, no hook for a towel to go on, just one really puny little shelf under the mirror in the bathroom. There was 1 plug socket for the fan so you had to choose between having the fan on (essential) or charging something. The plug was also halfway up the wall so unless you wanted your ipad dangling off the wall you had to make a strategic shelf with your bags!

The cafe/reception is somewhat underwhelming, I went there at 8pm hoping for a sandwich to be told the kitchen was closed. There are some other restaurants around but because the resort is at the far end of the beach you'll need to take a bit of a walk up the beach or a 10 min walk to get onto Walking Street. If you're a lone female traveller you may find this walk a bit intimidating as there are alleyways and its not well lit.

You cant fault the location, we were right on the beach with some stunning views but this is what you are mainly paying your money for. The island has a lot of dogs, so if you're not a doggy person you might not be in your element, a few times I had dogs barking and running up to me on the way in and out of the hut. The beach also has some areas which are quite littered, just as a prewarning about the location rather than a comment on the resort.

As I said, perhaps my expectations were too high, and if you're just going to be out all day anyway the things I mentioned might not bother you. It was good for a laugh, in particular the evil biting ants that took a particular liking to my feet as I was sat on the toilet, the lizards and the huge cockroach, but I dont think I could've lasted more than the 3 days we were there!

3  Thank queenfonzy
Reviewed April 6, 2013

well, if I say that I want to visit the Lipe beach resort again while my next visit to Thailand the I do not have to write anything else. We really enjoyed every single minute in this resort and on this Island. We booked the wooden beach bungalow, payed in advance and everything went smooth. The sea and the view is just something what is not possible to describe by words...the colors, the atmosphere, food, the people, just paradise ... :-)

Room Tip: Beach front definetely ....
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Susan N
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Ok, this was the first time staying in a beach hut for me and my girlfriend so seasoned travellers may read this and say "duh" but there are a few things to note for other people like us (if anyone else in the world hasn't stayed in a beach hut before).

We stayed in a bamboo beachfront hut for three nights and the setting on Sunrise Beach is incredible. Really beautiful place. It's about a 10 minute walk through some dark alleys to Walking Street and there is a mini-mart close by.

The accommodation itself was very basic and, being made of bamboo, open to all sorts of critters including cockroaches, mosquitos, frogs and ants. There is a mosquito net surrounding the bed but that didn't stop the little ants getting into bed with us at night. There was also an ant party in the bathroom nightly with literally thousands of them living it up on the floor and walls, so upon leaving this place both my girlfriend and I were bitten more times than Dracula's wife. There was one plug socket for the fan, so it's a choice of charging stuff or having no fan, and the showers are cold (as is well publicised) and a little trickly.

None of the above is a criticism of the Lipe Beach Resort as I have nothing to compare this to, hence the 4 stars, but it's worth considering if you're not used to this kind of thing.

Wifi is only available in the bungalows close to the main reception and the restaurant and bar close relatively early. We were told that the restaurant closes at 9pm each night, but we tried to get food at 8pm one night and the kitchen was closed. When we did have breakfast there the food was good. Oh and there are dogs everywhere on Lipe and particularly outside this resort, which I think is cool, but others might find it intimidating (about four sprinted over to me barking when I went out to see the sunset!)

I'm sure all of the above is typical of beachfront accommodation, but being first timers to this sort of thing, it felt a little like we were harking back to our camping holidays in Cornwall! Still, the location makes this place, and that's what yer paying for I guess.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

I stayed here for a week in March with a friend and fell in love with the place. We actually booked for 2 nights in a beach front wooden bungalow. We knew exactly what to expect having checked Trip Advisor before travelling. We decided that we liked it so much to stay for a further 4 nights, rather than wasting time travelling to another island. We moved into a bamboo bungalow a few rows back. We were advised that is was a smaller bungalow so there weren't any surprises - but then what do you expect for almost half the price!

The bathrooms are perfectly adequate, with cold showers - which I actually loved given the stupidly high temperatures. We sometimes had a visit from a few inquisitive frogs - all completely harmless.

The bar, restaurant and beach area was also really nice. Fantastic views. I don't think I've stayed anywhere with a better view. I would also recommend the fruit museli with yoghurt for breakfast and smoothies!!!

All staff were very helpful and friendly all the time. There are a few dogs owned by Lipe Beach Resort. All are well kept, happy and loved dogs. Sometimes they get a bit territorial if another dog comes on their patch, but this can't be helped as is the nature of dogs.

Don't be concerned about longtail boats in front of the resort, they're all gone during the day and only come back late afteroon/early evening.

I only have one thing to add, that isn't a complaint by any means as my stay was about perfect. The day before we left I asked if we could check out a little later (about an hour later) and pay for the privilege, simply so that we could have a little longer on the beach before leaving. Although there probably wasn't anyone waiting for our bungalow the reception staff couldn't understand why I would request this and declined my request. It's not a problem, it's just that sometimes guests may wish to pay for late checkout.

I would definitely return to this place if ever I visit Thailand again. Wonderful. Many thanks.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a taxi longtail boat directly to Sunrise Beach, rather than walking from Pattaya B...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank CharlotteW1979
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights early March. It was a sight for sore eyes after traveling over 12 hours from Bangkok. Check-in was swift, and husband and I got a beachfront bamboo bungalow for 1250 THB/night. Weather was perfect. Breezy at night, hot and sunny during the day. Bamboo bungalow was perfect w/ just the fan and mosquito net. Slept with the windows wide open and awoke to a brilliant red sunrise each morning. Make sure to catch the sunrise every day! It's the best time on the beach.

Erawan provided friendly, consistent service, along with everyone at the restaurant. We had breakfast every day here as well as 2 lunches and dinners. Great food, good prices. Try the ginger lime smoothies! Also had a nice dinner at the Castaway restaurant further south on the beach.

This "resort" is really no frills. You'll have to ask for toilet paper and clean towels, but that was just fine by me, considering the price and the excellent location right on the beach. There's only one electrical outlet in the room, so you have to decide to charge your electronics or run the fan. Or use the outlets in the restaurant while you have breakfast.

Excellent swimming beach just in front of the resort with good snorkeling too. Sea lice / jelly fish were stinging, which isn't a problem, unless you're allergic (I am!!). Make sure to wear at least a skin or a rash guard if you plan to do a lot of snorkeling.

10-15 min walk to walking street and Pattaya Beach, but I much preferred the quiet of Sunrise Beach.

I'd love to come back and stay again at Lipe Beach Resort. Thanks so much!

Room Tip: pick a beach front room! Bamboo bungalows are breezy and cool w/ great ventilation.
3  Thank World_Underwater