“Match My Simple Expectation”

Harmony Bed and Bakery
Ranked #17 of 33 Ko Lipe B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

In a small island like this, when one is unwilling to pay a higher price for better accommodation, Harmony is quite alright.

Yes, it is a distance from the main beach, but it is just a 5 minutes walk from Sunrise Beach. Much first impression of the main entrance was good. It was not exceptional but it was done nice enough to greet new guests. The staff members were polite. There was even a welcoming drink offered. The room was clean. I did wish there were more places to hang my clothes in the bathroom. The water pressure was weak.

I was happy with the free WiFi as well as quietness of the location.

• Stayed: November 2012

Reviewed January 13, 2013

The only minus comes that the location is not on the bach. Could have stayed there even longer but having a familyroom alone is a bit high cost so I moved to the Sunrise Beach few minutes walk away.
Harmony was a very goog basic accommodation with big confortable beds, a/c, safe, big fridge, tv.
All very new, modernish style, clean and comfortable. Minimarket opposite the hotel, nice Mangotree bar to the right with looong happy hour 4-10 pm. Lots of restaurants and massage places minutes away. Familyroom is pretty large and has 2 double beds, was located in ground floor with entrance and view to the inside garden ( not much gardenlike). Easy to acces.

The arrival to the island seem to be a big hassle, ferries arrive to a ponton on the Pattaya Bay, longtail boats take you to the beach close to your hotel. The hotel is located on the walking street, and Closest beach to Harmony is actually Sunrise Beach but the boat will instruct you to the Pattaya Beach and there you stand with you luggage not knowning where to go dragging your luggage in the sand. Give the hotel a call and they'll send someone to pick you up (or st least yr lugage). There are motorbikes and golf carts for that purpose, no cars on this island.

Room Tip: Easy to fill the fridge from opposite minimarket. You can hang your wet clothes outside drying in th...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Harmony wasn't my first choice of accommodation on Koh Lipe, but upon checking out my originally booked beachfront bungalow, which was very disappointing and crawling with insects, I ended up staying here for 3 nights.

I think I negotiated a little on the asking price and ended up paying around 1,200b/night at the start of high season. For the standard of the room, I thought this was rather expensive, but this seems to be the case for most of Koh Lipe, you get what you pay for and probably have to go over budget to stay somewhere decent. There was nothing really bad about the room, it just seemed a little dated and old. Whilst the bedroom was large, the bathroom was quite cramped. I had a TV but did not watch it. My window view was of a field which seemed to be used as a waste dumping area.

Ok, good points - the location, travelling on my own, I like to feel safe returning to my accommodation after dark. This was certainly the case as the hotel is located on one of the main streets not far from the main Walking street with many travel agencies, shops, cafes, restaurants and bars nearby. Yes it is a short walk to the beach, but this was not a problem and I liked being within a 10 minute walk of several of the island's beaches.

To summarise, there is nothing really bad about the hotel, it does have good points, I just felt it was expensive compared to the rest of Thailand.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Jackie M
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed for one night only at Capucino room.
They will have you and your luggage transport with a motorpad ride from immigration for free.
It's not located in front of the beach but only 3 minutes walking to Sunrise beach and 5 minutes to walking street where there are many food stalls and knick knacks sold.

Wifi only for 1 gadget unfortunately.
Have a safe deposit box in room.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

The only relatively cheap hotel we could find on the island at a backpackers budget but believe me £40 a night is not budget for us.
Where do I start? We have had 3 nights here and have had about 2 hellos. We went up to our room, my boyfriend is 6ft 5 and could basically starfish in the room and be touching the walls it was a box. No windows. We felt like we were in prison. Power cuts atleast 3 times a day. Tap in the bathroom just spins and you cant adjust temp. The hardest bed we have had in 2 months of SEAsia. A/C control doesnt work so we dont even know what temp we have it on. No fridge in the room. The walls are paper thin so its so noisy and you can clearly hear next door. The bakery down stairs is ok. We had chocolate croissants for brekky and they were as greasy as anything. We wanted two cups of hot water which we were charged for. Laundry here is 100b per KG walk down the road and its 50. Although everything in Lipe is more expensive then the rest of Thailand but here I'm sorry to say is just not worth it. 2000b a night is a terrible amount to charge for somewhere as bad as here.

The good points are that you can wash your feet before you get to your room and Lipe beaches are beautiful.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Chelsey R
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Stayed here for 6 days. Its as great little B&B ideally situated for access to all beaches on Koh Lipe and for exploring some of the smaller coves. Rooms are clean and new and staff always helpful. The bakery downstairs is great for taking breafast on an ad-hoc basis. We had a room overlooking the main street which was nice and not at all noisy by night. If this does not suit you then rooms are available overlooking the garden at the rear. Made the mistake of carrying our luggage up from the beach on arrival as they are happy to provide a moped 'taxi' to shuttle guests too and fro the hotel. Overall we thoroughly enjoyed the experience and would return again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jumbo1962
Reviewed August 11, 2012

This hotel isn't on the beach, but I don't worry about it. As you know island is very small, and you can reach the beach in 5 minutes. It has good price, hot water, new rooms (we lived in Cappucino room), safe, new bed linen and towels, TV, AC. So for 1350 Baht I think it is a great place with very tasty and cheap food at the cafe. Fantastic bakery!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple