“Very good experience with Ocean Pro Divers - Koh Lipe”
Review of Ocean Pro Divers

Ocean Pro Divers
Ranked #6 of 11 Tours in Ko Lipe
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I had hear about Koh Lipe from some friends and thought I would try it out for some diving. I stayed on the Island for 5 nights and found it to be a very good experience. I am a certified DM.
The first 2 days I dove with another dive company and found them to very personable and professional. I did have some problems with their equipment and it took several attempts to get a working set of equipment that did worked properly.
As for Ocean Pro Divers; I found them to be very professional and fun to dive with, their equipment was all brand new (new each year I was told) so no problems with air leaks and found their dive boat to be incredibly comfortable. Being the end of the low season, we only had 4 divers including myself, the divemaster (Duncan) and in addition, either had one of the experiences boat crew diving with us or on one of the dives, Noi actually took 2 of the 4 divers to see some specifically requested sites. While the currents were strong, our divemaster managed to minimize the amount of time we spent fighting the currents and tried as best he could, to maximize the amount of time we were drifting with the current. I found them to be extremely safety conscious and when doing a wreck dive to about 30 meters, the DM carried a spare tank and also a seperate spare tank was lowered at out safety stop level, both just in case any of us got low on air. The DM also kept very good track of all divers air supply.
All in all, I would chose them again next time I go back to Koh Lipe. Rick F.

2  Thank ScubaDadIpoh
There are newer reviews for Ocean Pro Divers

Reviewed April 20, 2012

Took a short trip for a few days at the end of last season from Koh Lanta to Koh Lipe to check out the diving. Great shop and very helpful staff when I first inquired about a few days of diving. As a dive instructor was quite happy with price for 3 days of diving and they let me keep all my equipment at the shop and even recommended a place to stay.

Out on the first day diving, the boat and everything was good until we jumped in for one of the dives in the complete wrong area and ended up swimming against a very strong current taking us 10 minutes to reach the reef even. After 5 more minutes the Instructor leading the dive had to cancel the dive as some divers were nearly low on air and the current was too strong to swim into and there was no possibility to go with it. After asking why this happened learned that the owner chose that dive site even though with the tides/currents, it was not a good option. We easily could have picked a far better site or dropped in on the opposite side of the small island for the conditions (this was stated to me by the experienced dive pros working on board the boat that day who had disagreed with the choice).

The following day I was diving with the owner's wife (Thai) who is not a qualified divemaster but a very experienced diver. We were doing a strong drift dive with a very mixed group; myself (Instructor), an advanced diver (with camera) and 2 newly qualified divers who had never dived in a current before. The dive was amazing until the dive guide began stopping in the current with no cover so the photographer could take pictures of macro life (not the best option for a strong drift dive). The guide used a reef hook to hold herself in place and everyone else had to fin hard, as there was no cover from the current, to stay with the group which in turn used a lot more air. The point of drift dives is to use the current to your advantage and I was beginning to get frustrated at spending another dive swimming into current when this time we made the right plan and the dive was briefed as a drift but did not dive our plan. As I began nearing low air I glanced at one of the newly qualified divers SPG thinking he would be low already and we were still a bit deep (18m). He was at the furthest point down current again struggling to swim hard against it to stay close to the group as the guide was hooked to the reef helping the photographer get a nudibranch photo. I saw that he had NO AIR left at the same moment he looked down and began to panic! I rushed to him giving my alternate air source and then had to get the attention of the guide to say we needed to go up. With the adrenaline of the moment and now 2 bigger guys using the last of my air he had to switch to the guide's alternate, leaving me to put up the surface marker buoy I was carrying so the boat would know where to pick us up. This situation was extremely dangerous as he ran out of air that deep and down current making it impossible for him to get to a buddy's alternate without them coming to him. It could have easily been avoided several ways. Knowing it was the customer's first drift dive and being inexperienced other than the Open Water course the guide should have checked air more often and possibly stayed a bit closer to them or focused more attention on them instead of the experienced photographer. Also if we would have gone with the current as was planned and briefed to us before the dive, the air would not have been used as quickly as it was with all the stopping. Even though as an Open Water diver you are qualified to dive on your own, this area of the world typically includes a dive guide to help show you the dive sites as well as make the dive safer for you. This couple diving likely would have never attempted this dive had it been on their own. When back on the boat the diver and the dive guide both thanked me over an over. This accident could have very easily resulted in a serious injury or death!

Everything else about this dive center was good other than the incident mentioned above and they went out of their way to do a night dive for me that evening and gave me a large discount afterwards on all my diving because of what happened. If you are an inexperienced diver be wary of who your guide is, possibly requesting anyone else working there as they are all qualified professionals. The owner's Thai wife is a great guide for experienced divers but not capable of providing safe supervised diving for beginners.

17  Thank luke5_007
Reviewed February 21, 2012

dm and staff were very helpful and knowledgeable. value for money and experience. equipment in good condition. everything is prearrange. boat comfortable. eventhough other dive centre is comparable but im happy to dive with ocean pro. they make you feel at home

3  Thank junkopile
Reviewed January 8, 2012

Oceanpro run a fantastic set up. I've had the pleasure of diving with them three times over the last five years.
With the recent refurb on the big boat which can now supply Nitrox and the new addition of a big comfortable speed boat they will continue to go from strength to strength!
The staff are all very friendly and knowlegeable, the Thai food supplied on board is great.
Give Dave or Noi a call you won't regret it!

4  Thank Stuart000
Reviewed December 28, 2011

This is the first dive company that I have dived with that has local guides which was great to see. The equipment was all in good condition, the guides enthusiastic and the pre-dive briefing was informative about what the dive site held in store for us rather than just about safety.

4  Thank Andrew A