“Great experience”

Mountain Resort Koh Lipe
Ranked #2 of 30 Ko Lipe B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 25, 2013

It was my first trip to Koh Lipe and my wife organized the Mountain Resort where we stayed in a Beach Villa the first night and Mountain View villa the second & third nights. Both rooms were comfortable and clean. As this is a new property they are building new rooms and seem to be over looking some details that could make the experience better. This is a beach resort, so there will always be lots of clothes drying - having extra racks to dry clothes would be a huge help to snorkelers, divers, and beach goers.

The Staff was very friendly and helpful. I was always greeted with a smile.

I will definitely plan on going again and staying with them. I really liked the property and the land and sea around it was simply amazing.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Mountain Resort Koh Lipe

Reviewed December 21, 2013 via mobile

Unfortenately I can no longer recomend this place. Three years ago I would've but they completely ruined a place that was some what ok yet pricy. Today, unfortenately I must say it is only pricy. Bad service. Bad cleaning. No working wifi (go to harmony bakery or pooh or Castaway instead if wifi is important ro you) and thet managed to transform the place to a sterile concrete nightmare. Cars, stench, trash that noone takea care of (attracting bugs) etc. Worst of all is np sercvice, noone cares what you think - you already paid so they're good. Instead go to pitiusas or any of the other friendly resorts. Take care of koh lipes environment!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 16, 2013

We stayed there for 5d/4n. Booked through Booking.com and initially was having some challenges with the card charges for deposit which was later resolved. After reading some bad comments about the services, we were also concern but I wrote to them at mountainresort@hotmail.com. I must say that Mr. Tanakom did his level best and what I like most is that all my emails were promptly replied. As most people commented that their staff could not speak English and I have seen one other guest complaining that no one picked his calls, I suggest that you write an email to them and this person will reply.

We stayed in a Deluxe Garden and I must say that although there were other rooms in front of us(direct sea facing rooms), the room we had still had a magnificent view in a tropical jungle settings. The staff, considering their minimal English command tried very, very hard and even took us and saw other guest to choose their room before check in. Our room were cleaned everyday. You must hang out the clean my room signage as they practice strict policy of entering guest rooms. Bottled water and coffee/tea too up is left on the verandah table daily in which I believe, they only enter your room once to clean it. I must say that the housekeeping did an absolutely fantastic job cleaning as you can hardly see any molds on the bathroom walls. The room was just so clean. Trust me, I am a fussy person being an ex hotelier myself and a little OCD.

The only set back is on the verandah, there are lots of mosquitoes but this is acceptable as it's in a tropical jungle setting. So, take along mosquito repellent sprays for yourself and if you can get a cheap 2 pin plug electric mosquito repellant with mat for your room. It really helped with our good night rest. Sitting on the verandah is a must for nature and scenery lover. :)

The restaurant was opened but they still had renovation works carried out but it didn't bothered us much. Breakfast was not too bad as they had a buffet line of local dish and standard sausages, bacon and en egg counter. Lunch and dinner menu based on ala carte were really good. The food was tasty and if you ordered 3 kinds of dishes, it will cost you around 450 to 650 Baht. Depending on what you choose. A must try is the deep fried sea bass fish with cucumin which is actually turmeric, green curry, pad Thai( noodles) and Gai Pad Gapow( chicken with basil leaves ). Most of their dishes allows you to choose from either chicken, beef or pork. The restaurant staff are very nice and they try very hard to fulfill your demands even though they don't speak good English. One waitress actually took the trouble and went in to the kitchen just to get some turmeric to show me what the cucumin actually means. Lol...

Needless to say that the beach was absolutely gorgeous and snorkeling there was already sufficient for us. I'm a frequent snorkeller and have been to other islands in Thailand and I must say if you want to see more variety of fishes, go to the East Coast islands of Malaysia. Don't expect too much to see here but it's a good relaxing spot. And yes, now about the ever popular staircase. You must conquer the stairs to get to the beach and up back to your room. But if you choose the villas on the beach, you need to walk up to the restaurants and also to catch the pick up transfer to Walking Street which is available daily from 6pm to 9pm(from Walking Street to hotel). If you need to go to the Walking Street which is minutes away from Pattaya Beach any other time, you can walk or ask the resort staff to call you a motorbike 3 wheeled taxi. But beware, the road conditions are quite bad and our taxi actually almost toppled over in a big pot hole. I was injured a little with minor scratches. But the taxi guy was so sincere and even offered to take me to the hospital and refused to accept the taxi fare. But I still paid him as I know it was not his fault.

If you are looking to have a great view with cheap beers & good beach, this is the place to be. More suitable for fun and outgoing people. If you want a perfect developed beach for a holiday, go to Phuket instead but you'll miss the beautiful beaches of Koh Lipe. And oh, you must love dogs as they are everywhere :) we even had 2 dogs escorting us while we are basking under the sun. Their fees? Some sausages from the breakfast buffet. Hahaha....

Another personal view from me... Please give the staff there a chance to service you. They don't speak good English but you'll see they will try very hard. Most of them are really, really poor people just trying to earn a living. One staff that I've spoken to actually came from another place along Laos/ Thai border and he had to work here due to his family poverty.

Room Tip: They can let you choose your room, so try asking them to do so.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kathleentff
Reviewed November 14, 2013

We booked a family chalet, which very spacious, new and very clean. The chalet had actually two identical apartments, one on each floor. This was great for us as we are traveling with older children. The bathrooms are outside, so the rooms do not get damp. You should bring some coils to keep the mosquito's away, although they where only there during sunset. The chalets have nice big balconies and some have beautiful views. Although there was renovation work going on, it did not bother us as we spent time at the beach. We knew in advance that there would be renovation as it was mentioned on Agoda during booking. But a walk around the island showed that it will be very hard to find a place on Koh Lipe without construction work nearby.
The beach is lovely and probably one of the best on the island. Only early morning there are some longtail boats, but the rest of the day you have the beach for yourself. You can snorkel from the beach, both with low and high tide. The negative thing about Koh Lipe is, that there is quite some glass on the beach. You really have to be careful where you walk. We saw it not only at our beach but also on the other beaches. From Mountain resort it is only a short walk over the beach to the sunrise beach restaurant, which we used for lunch. Between 6 and 9pm there is a free shuttle to walking street. Although you could walk, it is very dark! The staff at the hotel was friendly but often not very service minded. It looked like they just started and were unaware of what tourists would like. Only a few spoke English.

Room Tip: Be aware that there are a lot of stairs/steps in this resort, so if you have problems with that take...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 11, 2013

We stayed there for 4 nights (2 adults/2 small kids) hoping for a nice family resort setting and decent beach experience. It was a bit of a disappointment to find lacklustre service, messy grounds and so so beach at the resort. The resort is undergoing renovation (not repairs, as i was told when I booked). They are building new 2 storey houses right next to the bungalows, so noise from construction is from 7 am - 6 pm. Due to this, the area is messy.

Families with kids beware - there are at least 4 or 5 stray dogs on the property and the staff don't do anything about them. Dogs come from nearby village, I guess, but roam around the property and they are not very friendly. Don't leave your shoes outside - our neighbour's shoes disappeared and they found the pair a day later - chewed up by the dogs.

Beach: nothing to shout about. Coral is mostly dead, a few bits and pieces still left. Sand is filled with sharp seashells (not a soft white sand!) so bring some shoes to wear on the beach. I swear, everyday day I found a bottle on the beach and a few broken pieces of glass - not the resort's fault, but they could clean it maybe?

Staff: service is clueless. Recruits from island's seagypsy population, no english, no tact, no service experience.

Food: probably worst Thai food I've had! for really good Thai food, please go to Andaman resort, just 5 minute walk down the beach and avoid Mountain's restaurant for lunch or dinner. Breakfast is OK.

Location: nice views from the top indeed, but a long walk or a short taxi ride to the Walking Street, if you need to get out. No swimming pool, nothing to do with kids.

Overall: so so experience. Would I return - definitely not.

Room Tip: For families, get Family Villa 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 - they are on the hill, away from construction areas an...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I have tried to reach the GM to send him the following letter but with no success so here it is...

Dear Madam, dear Sir,

I have stayed in your hotel from October 6th to October 8th 2013. As a professional in the hospitality field and having worked in Thailand for many years in hotel chains such as Amari or Kempinski I wanted to share with you the bad service I have experienced in your resort.

My friends and I have picked your hotel not worrying about the price that it would cost us. In most case the more you pay the better the hotel and the service. I was really disappointed to realize how wrong I was wrong in this case.

We have been warned that the restaurant was under construction and that was fine with us as we know that it was still the low season. However, low season does not excuse in any case the kind of response I have had from your staff during the day of October 7th.

We woke up late that day and had room service for lunch. We were in the room at all time and we did not have the visit of housekeeping to have the room cleaned. Nobody knocked at our door even though we did not put the DND sign on the door.

Just before we left the room my Thai fiancé called the front desk to let them know that we were about to leave the room and that they could send housekeeping to clean it. The person she had on the phone just told her that this was impossible because there was not enough staff!!!
Ok I can understand that it is low season. But not having someone to clean the room… or at least refresh it is clearly not acceptable for the price I have paid.

But the good surprises did not end there… on the way out I stopped by the front desk to ask to have at least toilet paper and towel replaced in the room (not to mention the “Fresh water – 2 bottles everyday” mentioned on your website). And there I have the exact same answer!!! NOT ENOUGH STAFF??? What in the world is this??? There were 3 people in the front desk area only that could have gone to my room and drop the towels and toilet paper. But not one of them decided to do that! Instead they just gave me everything and I had to walk back to the room to drop it myself! Never in my life have I experienced that!

On my way back to the room with the towels and toilet paper in my hands I took this picture I have attached… funny how you are lacking staff and the guest has to do your work!!! Must be really funny for your staff to see me walk past them with towels and toilet paper in my hands… or they were too busy reading comics or chatting on their phones.

One more thing that happen on the 8th when we were checking out. Transport to the pier was due at 8am so we left the room 10 minutes before in order to have time to check out before jumping on the truck. All of my friends and I passed that same area where I have taken the picture attached. My fiancé struggling with her bag but no one stood up to help… again… way too busy!!!
And one more thing… I did not appreciate at all the one of your staff yelled at us that the car was waiting for us and that we should hurry to bring our bag to the truck.

Hope this email finds you well and that I will have a quick answer about all that.

P. V.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
10  Thank Philippe V
Reviewed October 13, 2013

The panaromic view is stunning. The location of where it stands are brilliant. Beautiful beach, crystal clear water, magnificent for sun set lover, and nicely tuck away from the crowds.

However due to the huge size of this resort, occasionally there are a lot of tourists and it can be quite pack. The food was not the greatest and with the price you pay, it's just not worth it. I love Thai foods, and I know how authentic can it be. You would better off head to the walking street for better taste with similar price! Breakfast was boring, not much choices, but edible.
Staff service was average, did not live up to the land of smiles. I was hoping for friendlier service especially with such a high rate for a resort.

The free shuttle service to the walking street was rubbish. You might as well just take a slow walk. It will take you about 15 mins walk.

Overall, 3/5 for me.