“Beautiful Location”

Mountain Resort Koh Lipe
Ranked #2 of 31 Ko Lipe B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 14, 2013

We booked a family chalet, which very spacious, new and very clean. The chalet had actually two identical apartments, one on each floor. This was great for us as we are traveling with older children. The bathrooms are outside, so the rooms do not get damp. You should bring some coils to keep the mosquito's away, although they where only there during sunset. The chalets have nice big balconies and some have beautiful views. Although there was renovation work going on, it did not bother us as we spent time at the beach. We knew in advance that there would be renovation as it was mentioned on Agoda during booking. But a walk around the island showed that it will be very hard to find a place on Koh Lipe without construction work nearby.
The beach is lovely and probably one of the best on the island. Only early morning there are some longtail boats, but the rest of the day you have the beach for yourself. You can snorkel from the beach, both with low and high tide. The negative thing about Koh Lipe is, that there is quite some glass on the beach. You really have to be careful where you walk. We saw it not only at our beach but also on the other beaches. From Mountain resort it is only a short walk over the beach to the sunrise beach restaurant, which we used for lunch. Between 6 and 9pm there is a free shuttle to walking street. Although you could walk, it is very dark! The staff at the hotel was friendly but often not very service minded. It looked like they just started and were unaware of what tourists would like. Only a few spoke English.

Room Tip: Be aware that there are a lot of stairs/steps in this resort, so if you have problems with that take...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed November 11, 2013

We stayed there for 4 nights (2 adults/2 small kids) hoping for a nice family resort setting and decent beach experience. It was a bit of a disappointment to find lacklustre service, messy grounds and so so beach at the resort. The resort is undergoing renovation (not repairs, as i was told when I booked). They are building new 2 storey houses right next to the bungalows, so noise from construction is from 7 am - 6 pm. Due to this, the area is messy.

Families with kids beware - there are at least 4 or 5 stray dogs on the property and the staff don't do anything about them. Dogs come from nearby village, I guess, but roam around the property and they are not very friendly. Don't leave your shoes outside - our neighbour's shoes disappeared and they found the pair a day later - chewed up by the dogs.

Beach: nothing to shout about. Coral is mostly dead, a few bits and pieces still left. Sand is filled with sharp seashells (not a soft white sand!) so bring some shoes to wear on the beach. I swear, everyday day I found a bottle on the beach and a few broken pieces of glass - not the resort's fault, but they could clean it maybe?

Staff: service is clueless. Recruits from island's seagypsy population, no english, no tact, no service experience.

Food: probably worst Thai food I've had! for really good Thai food, please go to Andaman resort, just 5 minute walk down the beach and avoid Mountain's restaurant for lunch or dinner. Breakfast is OK.

Location: nice views from the top indeed, but a long walk or a short taxi ride to the Walking Street, if you need to get out. No swimming pool, nothing to do with kids.

Overall: so so experience. Would I return - definitely not.

Room Tip: For families, get Family Villa 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 - they are on the hill, away from construction areas an...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I have tried to reach the GM to send him the following letter but with no success so here it is...

Dear Madam, dear Sir,

I have stayed in your hotel from October 6th to October 8th 2013. As a professional in the hospitality field and having worked in Thailand for many years in hotel chains such as Amari or Kempinski I wanted to share with you the bad service I have experienced in your resort.

My friends and I have picked your hotel not worrying about the price that it would cost us. In most case the more you pay the better the hotel and the service. I was really disappointed to realize how wrong I was wrong in this case.

We have been warned that the restaurant was under construction and that was fine with us as we know that it was still the low season. However, low season does not excuse in any case the kind of response I have had from your staff during the day of October 7th.

We woke up late that day and had room service for lunch. We were in the room at all time and we did not have the visit of housekeeping to have the room cleaned. Nobody knocked at our door even though we did not put the DND sign on the door.

Just before we left the room my Thai fiancé called the front desk to let them know that we were about to leave the room and that they could send housekeeping to clean it. The person she had on the phone just told her that this was impossible because there was not enough staff!!!
Ok I can understand that it is low season. But not having someone to clean the room… or at least refresh it is clearly not acceptable for the price I have paid.

But the good surprises did not end there… on the way out I stopped by the front desk to ask to have at least toilet paper and towel replaced in the room (not to mention the “Fresh water – 2 bottles everyday” mentioned on your website). And there I have the exact same answer!!! NOT ENOUGH STAFF??? What in the world is this??? There were 3 people in the front desk area only that could have gone to my room and drop the towels and toilet paper. But not one of them decided to do that! Instead they just gave me everything and I had to walk back to the room to drop it myself! Never in my life have I experienced that!

On my way back to the room with the towels and toilet paper in my hands I took this picture I have attached… funny how you are lacking staff and the guest has to do your work!!! Must be really funny for your staff to see me walk past them with towels and toilet paper in my hands… or they were too busy reading comics or chatting on their phones.

One more thing that happen on the 8th when we were checking out. Transport to the pier was due at 8am so we left the room 10 minutes before in order to have time to check out before jumping on the truck. All of my friends and I passed that same area where I have taken the picture attached. My fiancé struggling with her bag but no one stood up to help… again… way too busy!!!
And one more thing… I did not appreciate at all the one of your staff yelled at us that the car was waiting for us and that we should hurry to bring our bag to the truck.

Hope this email finds you well and that I will have a quick answer about all that.

P. V.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
10  Thank Philippe V
Reviewed October 13, 2013

The panaromic view is stunning. The location of where it stands are brilliant. Beautiful beach, crystal clear water, magnificent for sun set lover, and nicely tuck away from the crowds.

However due to the huge size of this resort, occasionally there are a lot of tourists and it can be quite pack. The food was not the greatest and with the price you pay, it's just not worth it. I love Thai foods, and I know how authentic can it be. You would better off head to the walking street for better taste with similar price! Breakfast was boring, not much choices, but edible.
Staff service was average, did not live up to the land of smiles. I was hoping for friendlier service especially with such a high rate for a resort.

The free shuttle service to the walking street was rubbish. You might as well just take a slow walk. It will take you about 15 mins walk.

Overall, 3/5 for me.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

Took about 1.30 hrs from Hatyai int. airport connected by van. Plus another 2 hrs more on speedboat at Pakbara pier before reach Lipe island.

Resort located on the hill at sunrise beach: Can see Adang Island view nicely.

Hotel restaurant is open air with coolly breezy chill out too linger on for relaxing.

Food is tasty delicious variety menu selection.

Room a bit walk up and down restaurant depend on with room type you booked. In room simple decoration. basic bathroom no tub. Hammock provide at bungalow terrace area.

Lipe Night market walking street jus 3 min nearby.Resort has free shuttle golf cart service.

Suggestion:Dont buy tour trip with hotel reception. it very ripped off. Try booked with local kiosk stand at Lipe walking street night market instead. U will get reasonable rate for day snorkel trip.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank TimSip81
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I visited in low season and didnt book in advance. I checked booking.com and not many options during august as most places are closed in low season. I was solo girl traveled and I decided to follow their shuttle bus at ferry to stay with them.

The garden view bungalow w AC was 1,000 TBH at low season. Room was nice and reasonable size. I like the bungalow and price in low season seemed quite good. However location is only freat for view of sunset, the others are inconvinent to go to the beach as you must climb up-down staircase to go down the beach; far from walking street which is really dark to walk at night and last shuttle bus is at 9pm; lastly they don't have any kind of BBQ seafood or good choice for dinner at night as the other places on the beach.

In general, the room and location itself were not too bad for my review however you can find a better place right on the beach for that much money and walk to their place for the view or stay for couple 2-3 days and go somewhere directly on the beach rather than isolated zone.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We spent a few nights on Koh Lipe and opted for the safety of accommodation on higher ground, rather than taking a place lower down on the main island strip.

The resort is divided into 3 levels of accommodation, basic, standard and luxury. Our budget, which stretched to nice hotels in Bangkok, was only enough for standard room in this place, thus a premium is paid for location and scenery, rather than resort facilities and quality.

None of the basic or standard rooms have an good / uninterrupted view of the sea, as they are set further back in the resort, thus have restricted views past the garden trees and other blocks at the front. To get a great album picture, you have to head down to the main reception / restaurant.

Our standard room was very basic, which we shared with the odd creepy crawly...the room was very spacious enough and had AC plus a fan, to keep us nice and cool during the night. The bed was also very comfortable and the rooms was clean enough.

The bathroom, which was wet room, was not exactly great. it was very basic and I can only describe it as being like an open air outdoor hut. the 12ft window running the length of the one wall, has no glass, but rather cover with mess, to prevent the wildlife getting in. it's 6ft high, too protect your modesty of others blocks of apartments being able to see you, whilst using the bathroom.

We ate lunch in the restaurant each day, which was at best average. It seemed the resort struggled to find all the required ingredients, to make some of typical thai dishes.

Not sure I would stay here again. I would probably pay extra and try the luxury resort close by.

Room Tip: break the bank and pay for luxury accommodation....
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple