“Amazing Paradise stay”

Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Ko Lipe
Glasgow
“Amazing Paradise stay”
Reviewed May 10, 2014

We have spent 6 nights at Serendipity and we loved it. The room is very comfortable and is full of thoughtful touches including getting breakfast delivered to your room every morning at the time you would like.The staff are friendly, the view is absolutely incredible. Its the perfect place to go and relax. I would certainly stay at Serendipity again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed May 7, 2014

This is the second time I've stayed at Serendipity Resort Koh Lipe and the resort is as good or better than my first stay. Facilities are great, ambiance amazing, staff and service wonderful and the food is brilliant. I didn't want for anything and if I did information from staff was immediately forthcoming and to the point. I would recommend this resort to all my friends for a peaceful and exotic holiday destination as great rates. I wish I could have stayed longer!

Room Tip: I would choose a room midway up the hill to ensure privacy especially if you are a couple but I woul...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 6, 2014

Fabulous stay at Serendipity in the big Lebrowski. The room is gorgeous with its own pool and everything you need is in the room. The views are stunning and definitely the most beautiful place on Lipe. The staff are great and very helpful, nothing is too much trouble. Thank you for a wonderful stay!

Room Tip: Good location and beautiful views from the big Lebrowski
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Phuket, Thailand
Reviewed May 6, 2014

This is my second time with Serendipity. I spend 2 nights there.It such a best time for me for my holiday.The.The Hotel have a very nice view , quiet and very Private. Have a beautiful beach. The sea is very clear .The have kayak provide to the customer .The staff are very nice and helpful. spacial thank you to Mr. Nu and Miss Khem for your kind service.Thank for make me feel like back Home.I will be back there again .Thanks all of you gay.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed May 5, 2014

If you look for the place with the beautiful scenery, delicious food, and best quality service, this place is right for you. I spent 2 nights here and I totally fall in love with this place. (Though a bit long walk to the room)

There are couple reasons why I love it here:
While having lunch, you can see the fish swim in the clear sea.
Every member in this resort is really nice and so helpful. (Especially P'Nu and P'Khem)
Breakfast served in the room with the selectable menu.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed May 4, 2014

I booked this resort as a birthday treat for my partner. It was booked directly through hotel website but was not informed about the pick up service from Pattaya beach where the main jetty is. Hence, we have to get a tok tok service and alighted us about 15 min away on the beach. My partner has to carry our 20kg luggage on his shoulder on the sandy beach to get to the hotel. Luckily, a staff from Idyllic came to offer his assistance and carried the heavy load up to the resort.
This could be better communicated to your future guest about the pick up service.

Secondly, I booked Room 1 which is the first room on the hill without air-cond. Much regretted I did not sleep well over the week as it was too warm and the power supply was inconsistent with the ceiling running on and off throughout the night.
I was hoping a good breeze since it is on the hill and with a superb sea view but I was wrong!
Besides that wifi was poor on the first 2 days as the router in our room was faulty and it was finally fixed by Nu by moving another router to our room, nonetheless we still have to reset it twice a day in order to get it works.
The residential area next to the hotel was dirty with stray dogs everywhere.... So be careful to walk through that section especially at night after dinner . Please bring along the torch provided in the room.
During our stay from 11-16april, I have been a feast to mosquitoes , so do bring along extra insects repellant.
We had dinner at the resort twice, and it was the consolation to all the disappointment. Food is really good and one of the best on the island.
Breakfast is decently provided except fresh coffee and tea is chargeable and ice bucket is not complimentary.
Lastly, service recovery provided by the management was commendable, thank you Carl , Kim and Nu for your hospitality.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
rome, italy
Reviewed May 2, 2014

We just returned from a five night stay at Serendipity. On a positive note, the hotel definitely has hands down the best location on the island of koh lipe. For those who want to get away from it all and relax in an albeit rather rustic environment, this is the place for you. The hotel is on sunrise beach, but has its own(almost) stretch of sand right below the hotel where you can enjoy the sun until early afternoon when the tide begins to come in. In about 15 mins walk along the beach you get to the other hotels and the little town as well so even though you are a bit isolated, you can still easily reach bars, pharmacy, other hotels, etc- just bring a flashlight if going at night because it’s very dark and you won’t be able to see anything.

Apart from the location, the owner of the hotel, Carl is pretty accommodating, he helped us organize the transfers to Koh Lipe and was willing to assist in planning any excursions to neighboring islands, massages, etc.

In terms of the hotel itself- I was quite surprised to find out it is rather new because it actually looks worn out. There are a lot of steps to get everywhere, and many of them are loose or uneven. The furniture in the rooms is also rather worn down (we were in number 11) and the overall cleanliness and upkeep is not what one would expect of a hotel labeled as “luxury.” I think the management should not use the word luxury in its advertising because this creates an expectation that will soon create disappointment for those who normally stay in luxury accommodations. Some of the main issues I noted that can probably be fixed quite easily are:

-There is no shower or place to rinse off even your feet near the beach so you have to go back to your room to rinse sand and salt water off (not ideal considering the number of steps and the heat) , and you are constantly tracking sand into your room.

-Beach towels are not provided, neither are sunbeds, or even beach chairs- all the other “resort” style hotels on the island provide both of these services. Serendipity is not a cheap place for Thai standards and this was majorly lacking for a Beach resort. They do provide pareo’s and beach mats but this is very uncomfortable and something one would expect from a campsite, not a hotel of this level

-Room was not properly cleaned before our arrival- the coffee area had coffee spilled all over, the counter hadn’t been wiped, the mugs had stains from the last person who was there, the walls- particularly in the bathroom were filled with cobwebs and dust… I raised this on the second morning to the Manager (not Carl, but the other guy) and he told me the rooms are “natural style” but I asked that my room be cleaned better, he asked for my room but never acted on my request

-Wifi, even though included for free did not work in our room, and throughout the resort was very spotty

-Overall the staff don’t really make you feel welcomed, particularly in the restaurant. The main server was very nice and sweet- and probably the only one who spoke English, but the others barely smile, and kind of seem “obliged” or annoyed when you show up to eat. Some of them seem actually sad all the time, which is quite different than what I have experienced throughout Thailand and at other hotels. This may also be because there are only about 4 of them and the same people are there from early morning to late at night which doesn’t seem correct either and during our stay we observed a clear segregation between the more senior staff and the others in the restaurant area which made us feel a bit uncomfortable.

-Air conditioning is very weak and the fact that the doors of the room don't seal shut doesn't help since heat from outside gets in easily. I was a bit annoyed that when we would keep our AC on during the day so that the room would be cool in the afternoon when we got back, every time we came back it was turned off by the staff and very very hot in the room, so we would need to keep it on for at least 20 mins to get back to a comfortable temperature.

I do understand and appreciate the fact that Koh Lipe is not Koh Samui or Phuket, and that this is more of an eco-resort, however very basic things such as cleanliness of rooms, offering a shower by the beach, etc.. seem like minimum requirements for a beach holiday hotel, and the other hotels nearby all had these things. I think with a bit more attention to detail and some extra touches, Serendipity could be great as it has a lot of potential.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple