“Paradise Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Ko Lipe
Munich, Germany
“Paradise Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

This is an amazing place and the best choice on Koh Lipe.
The staff is really very friendly and the Manager Carl is very helpful.
The restaurant is the best choice as well on the island.
Once you arrived at the hotel, you do not want to go away.
Make sure you book for at least one week, so you do not regret not staying longer, like we did.
Thank you very much for the amazing time and great holiday.
We will come back for sure and we already have recommended the hotel to our friends.
Regards form Anthony & Mariana

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank merian_z

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Langkawi, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

Having only one day-off we wanted to explore Koh Lipe at least a bit and decided to book Serendipity Resort, as from the very beginning when we contacted them for the booking they were very helpful and offered us accomodation for the date we needed. It was our first trip to this Island, so we based as well our hotel-choice on the general information about Koh Lipe and hotels there.
And that was exactly the right decision: at the moment when we arrived to the Resort and then stepped on the terrace of our Bungalow we wished we could stay longer! Serendipity is built in the Island's rock, surrounded by the green which gives you a real feel being in the tropical paradise nature. Our bungalow was ready and right away upon our arrival we could enjoy the stunning view from our terrace. Serendipity is at the beginning of the Sunrise beach, not on the general "highway" of the public beach, which gives you a luxury feel of kind of private beach.
Friendly Resort staff, very well mantained Bungalow (we stayed in Fan Seaview), great food (so people as well from other parts of the Island were coming for dinner at the evening when we were at the Resort and it's restaurant was full) and private breakfast (served to our Bungalow) on the terrace with soft morning warmness of rising sun made our stay in Serendipity indeed memorable. Coming home we could only recommend our friends and colleagues when they go to Koh Lipe to stay at the Serendipity Resort. We look forward to have the next opportunity to come to the Island and stay again at this Resort.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mary_Lang
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

We had our best holiday ever at Serendipity. Carl and his fantastic team made us feel welcome from the first minute we arrived and after that we were spend 8 days in Paradise been spoiled.
The atmosphere is very relaxed, the rooms are original in a luxurious way with everything you need and every room/house has a great porch with the most beautiful view. Last but not least the kitchen is really fantastic - you do not have to eat anywhere else than at the resort (and to reasonable prices)
Before we arrived we had been traveling 5 weeks in Thailand (seen a lot and been many places) but we definitely "saved the best for last". Both we and our kids (9y and 11y) would love to come back
BR Anders and Charlotte

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

We chose Serendipity as the location for our company's annual off-site getaway, and could not have made a better choice. We have never had service at this level any where in the world (even in supposedly six-star hotels) and the resort itself was well thought-out - I never wanted to leave.

There were options for everyone, so people who wanted to could steep in the beautiful water, or go snorkeling, or if you're more sedentary, like me, you could sit on the balcony of your bungalow, sipping tea and reading a book. The island itself is also something special - with lots of interesting shops and restaurants on Walking Street. (A special shout out to Elephant Books and Coffee!)

The bungalow comes with every mod con you could want - and more, including internet access and a torchlight (which comes in handy). I could have stayed there for a month. Breakfast on the balcony was an especial treat, and it helps that the food at On The Rocks (the resort's restaurant) is well above par. (The Serendipity Burger is delicious if you like pork, and the chewy brownie in the Serendipity Sundae is one of the best I've had.)

The only caveat is that you need to either be very patient or very fit to handle the stairs - the resort is built into the side of a cliff, and there are many steps (MANY, MANY STEPS) to get up to the higher bungalows. I reckon it's worth it for the view, but it can undo some of the effects of relaxing by the water when you realise you're going to get puffed out during the climb.

Aside from that, though, I'd say this was the closest thing to paradise, holiday-wise, that I've ever had. I'm definitely contemplating coming back, although maybe the next time, I'll see if I can get a bungalow that's not quite so high up.

Special kudos must go to Carl and Nu - their personal touch made our visit all the more special. Nu went out of his way to cater to the strange demands of our group, and brought us glasses and water and more food and drink whenever we asked for it. Carl, especially, went well above and beyond the bounds of duty turning up at the clinicwhen one member of my group injured himself, and even (at one point) carrying him.

I know, reading the reviews might make it seem like people are getting paid to say nice things about this resort - I think it's simply that service here is so thoughtful and sincere, and the resort itself is so well-planned and constructed, that it's like every possible tourist demand has been catered for, and staying here is easy and frictionless, with little or no hassles.

Exactly what you want if you've come all the way to Koh Lipe for a beach holiday.

Room Tip: Better view from the higher bungalows, but the climb back to the room can be daunting.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Devin J
JayEkkathattanan, Owner at Serendipity Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
Hi Devin,
Thanks for your review and feedback. We are so happy you had a great time with us. We have shared your comments with the Serendipity team. It means a great deal to us to know that guests enjoy the Serendipity experience and helps us to remain focused our mission "to make a visit to Serendipity an experience guests will want to recommend to their friends".
We are currently considering ways in which we can make the walk up to the higher positioned bungalows easier and hope to put a solution in place during this coming low season. We look forward to seeing you sometime in the near future.

Thanks again Carl, Nu and the team.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

This place looked amazing and after my friend had to go back home and I stayed on the island alone, I decided to move from Castaway to Serendipity. Big mistake!
The resort is expensive and I do understand why. The bungalows are just beautiful! Very nicely decorated and very comfy with lots of space. Breakfast is supplied every night for the next day and you even have a small fridge with milk, yoghurt, cheese and meat selection, you can also request boiled eggs. You can enjoy your breakfast within the comfort of your room or on a large porch, views are stunning! The restaurant has amazing views also and very good food! Clean and simply wonderful you would think...
I understand that if you are staying in the tropics, you have to expect to see a bug here and there, or a lizard. But I had to stay with a huge rat in my bungalow!!! And when I called the reception about it, they sent me a Thai with no English, he didn't understand a word of what I was saying and even though I tried to draw the rat and explain that I would like a new bungalow, he simply did not understand. Next day I went to look for an English speaking staff member, Carl, but he was off on that day. Following day nobody could find him either. I decided to leave Serendipity then...
It's a shame really, such a beautiful place... But being a girl on my own with that big rat constantly running all over the place (it was definitely not shy) was not fun, that's all I can say...

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ThailandIsTheBest
Hi,
Thanks for your feedback. We sincerely apologize for the rat being inside your bungalow and especially for the failure on our part to address the situation appropriately after you alerted us to the issue. Since your visit last May we have focused a lot of effort on putting in place measures to making sure local wildlife does not enter the guest areas. We have also put in place procedures to ensure guests can at all times get in touch with an English speaking member of staff. Once again thanks for your review, we really value guest feedback to help us in our goal of continuous improvement.

Best Regards,
Jay
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

Absolutely amazing. Koh Lipe is a gem and Serendipity is the best place on the island. Very laidback but luxurious in its own way. The bungalows are clean and superb with anything you need. The terrace gives you some outdoor space for sunbathing and you also can have a massage there. The stuff is very nice and helpful. The steps can be challenging and I would definitely try to book a bungalow closer to reception. But this place is so charming even you have to climb lots of stairs.

I have only a small criticism with the breakfast. Being served on the balcony is brilliant and the choice of food is ok too but the orange juice is like water, possibly powdered..? The food in the restaurant is very good if the breakfast could only be as good as the dinner.

We traveller for a month across Thailand and Malaysia and Serendipity is the place we said, we will have to come back to. I can't wait.

Room Tip: Many, many stairs. Try to book a bungalow closer to reception.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank AnnaNusch
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

Late last year I had the opportunity to visit Koh Lipe.
I chose to stay at Serendipity resort and booked the "big Lebowski"

We were met on arrival by the Longtail which took us around to the resort.

Karl and his team met us on arrival and showed us to our room.

The view was breathtaking.

Our stay was lovely and relaxing. Nothing was to much trouble for the staff who were always smiling and helpful

The food and drink were excellent and the service was great.

If i get the chance i will return and 100% recommend it to my friends.

Excellent. Many thanks Karl and your team.

• Stayed November 2012