“Not just the location, nor rooms, but the food...”
Review of Bundhaya Resort

Bundhaya Resort
Ranked #10 of 35 Ko Lipe B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We often do this crazy thing (mind your dirty mind!) we take a Friday night flight to Langkawi (brown sand, bad food) stay over night in the stunningly communist style airport hotel, get up a the crack of dawn (I said DAWN) and take a ferry to the small Thai island of Koh Lipe (white sand, amazing food, good people).

And when we do dear listener, we always stay at Budhaya. Why? I ask you think (I have VERY good hearing). I'll tell you why. It's on the best beach. It has really cute rooms (cabins with decks and sometimes outdoor showers) and it has the best food. Ga Prow Moo (Mince pork with holy basil), Som Tam (papapya salad) and Kua Gling (southern style minced meat with chili, lime leaf and spices) are to DIE FOR (although I am sadly still alive - life as they say, is suffering)...

The breakfast at this joint is also killer. Khao Tom (rice soup NOT confee which is like albino-phlegm) is available, my personal fave. As is a pseudo western breakfast.

Now, it's a bit tricky getting a sunbed on the beach, for they're aren't many, but the sand is like laying in talcum powder so you'll be ok.

Walking street a, er, short walk away. Stay here. It's simple. And you can sit and smirk at the 100 tourist dragging their wheelies 500 metres on the beach because some other hotel might just have hot running water... whatevs.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Jonathan S

Reviewed March 14, 2013

THe resort is located on the main beach, right beside the immigration.

I first stayed in the standard air-cond room. Walls made of thin ply wood. Rooms were clean, but a bit too basic for my liking, even if the neighbours walk or closed their doors, you can feel the vibrations. Basically right at the back of the resort.

Then we moved to the superior bungalow, which was much much better. For me, that would be the minimum room class i would stay if I were to come here again. However, breakfast was nothing to shout about, as the food tasted average.

The massage was good though, and the rates are the same as other places around the island, except that it was beach front!

I would not return to this hotel because there are just too many nice resorts to try out on this island, and I might give the ones on sunrise beach a go.

Room Tip: Stay at least in the bungalows, for more privacy. The standard rooms are just too thin and basic.
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I stayed here December 1012 over new years for 2 nights (minimum stay). A few weeks before my travel i checked online for accommodation on Ko Lipe and was shocked that everywhere i looked online there was just that one room free on the whole island which could be prebooked.

As i didn’t want to risk being stranded without anywhere to sleep in peak season i booked the room. It was ridiculously expensive when i booked it... 4000 bath per night. I m normally happy with a simple bamboo hut without Aircon and don’t need luxury. I paid it and would have been ok with it but when i arrived and saw the bungalow i felt cheat of my money. I had hoped that for the money i get at least a real nice bungalow. The room was basic and stuffy. The bathroom was old... the shelf under the mirror was hanging of the screws so it was not possible to put anything on it. When i had a shower the whole bathroom was wet and unfortunately the floor had no decline so the water was not flowing of... so i had 2 cm of water standing in the whole bathroom till next morning when the cleaners came. I would have cleaned it up myself... but there were no tools for it. I’m not a posh person... up seriously for 4000 bath per night... i was well annoyed!

The other thing which annoyed me was that when i booked the room in advance I got told that I have to pay 1600 bath extra for the new year’s banquet. I email back that i would not like to take part of the banquet and would like just to book the room. I got told that’s not possible and i had to pay... if i took part or not... again... as it was the only room left on the island. i felt I had no choice than to pay that extra. I was not planning to go to the new year’s event as i don’t care for such things but as i paid so much money I went and eat as much food as i could and left as soon as. The food was ok and plenty.... but there is just so much food I could eat... hence not worth the money. That's normall my dinner budget for 6 evenings.

The resort and the restaurant area look nice... not my bungalows inside. If you like resort type holiday... and don’t care that you paid way too much... you might like it here. The service was ok and staff nice enough. I have to admit other guests looked as they enjoyed themselves... maybe their bungalows where good and I just had bad luck.

My advice is... stay anywhere else... you can get much better value for half the price or even less on the same beach. Breakfast is much nicer at the cafe down the beach. I would not stay here again for that price... if it would be 1000 bath... maybe.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed February 22, 2013

We stayed at Bundhaya for 5 nights and wished we could stay longer. Koh Lipe is such a beautiful island and I have never felt more chilled out than when we stayed there. I would love to go back one day. The hotel is right next to the beach and has a massage facility overlooking the beach which is really relaxing. We only went to the hotel once because we struggled to communicate with the staff who didn't speak English and we didn't get exactly what we ordered - they even forgot our drinks and we were parched from travelling all day, however I don't like to complain that they can't speak English as we were in Thailand after all, not England! It's a couple of minutes walk from the main strip of bars, shops and restaurants where you can get some great food and souvineers. Koh Lipe is very quiet compared to other islands, but there are bars on the beach to sit in during the evening and listen to local musicians. The rooms in the hotel were really comfortable and clean, an it felt like luxury after a week of slumming it in hostels and cheap hotels. The staff in reception were really friendly and helpful. We booked a boat trip with the hotel - it's a couple of pounds more expensive but more than worth it. We had a longtail boat to ourselves and visited the most beautiful paradise island I have ever seen. We stopped off at a few snorkelling sites and had lunch included. The snorkelling was amazing. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Eve T
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Located in pataya beach. Immigration office is here, also most happening beach where you can find food and entertainment. Can be noisy at night due to the nightlife at beach front, so if you cant stand music, choose a room located further away from the beach. If you like resort style, this is place to stay.

I like the reception area, can relax around. They serve a nice welcome juice too.

Room is wooden chalet type, still in decent condition, but the pillow case was dusty when I checked in. Aircond took considerable long time to cool down the room, may be because of the wooden structure of the chalet. Mattress is firm, fine for me but may be too hard for others. No issue with the shower and water quality here.

Breakfast buffet is decent (mainly american breakfast), line can be a bit busy on weekends, but there are plenty of seats available.

Service is above average.

Wifi is free. LCD TV with some HBO.

Price is on a bit high side, otherwise it will be a value for money stay and earn 4star rating from me.

4  Thank singchi
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I bought the snorkeling+hotel package offered by this resort at the Thailand Travel event which was quite a good package though. The service at this hotel is fine. The food is quite good though especially seafoods. We stayed at the deluxe room type so the room is OK. The water flow in the bathroom is quite slow and the room is quite clean enough.
We loved the hotel restaurant's view since you can sit and relax watching the sunset.

1  Thank JannyCoyote
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Whilst this hotel has a good location as in the sense it's right on the beach it's on a beach that is rife with long tails and speedboats! It's only really safe to go in the water and either end of this beach. Anyway back to the hotel itself! Where do I start........ The room whilst small was still an ok size for 2 persons as was the bed. The room had (hopefully) seen better days. The bathroom (with only cold water in the shower) was dirty and moldy even all over the back of the door and the cleaners hadn't bothered to wipe down the tiles where the previous guests had squashed Mosquitos on the them and the loo I am almost lost for words, it was black and brown and needed replacing, i think due to years if not months of never being cleaned properly it just gave up and started to absorb the filth. The wardrobe ( I use this term lightly) was to say the least tiny, it had no shelf and only 3 hangers, there are no draws in the room and no where else to put clothes so be prepared to live out of your sack or case. The curtains were old dirty and hanging down with only 4 paper clips to hold them up, which constantly fell down every time you needed to open or close them or the window. This hotel is very overpriced for what it offers just a little attention to these points and it would have been a bargain. Saying all this we were in the standard (as hotel full) so maybe they look after the more expensive rooms better.

• Stayed: January 2013