“So relaxing, amazing food, great service”

Castaway Resort Koh Lipe
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Ko Lipe
Reviewed December 23, 2013

Hi everyone, I simply want to share with you that I had such a relaxing time at Koh Lipe. The food is so traditionnal, so good, and served so quick! It takes time to go there, but it worth it. The service is very, very good. And I am a very picky. Well, go there, and enjoy life.

Room Tip: Try to get the one close to the beach
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank PhilippeSunnyMIlliat

Reviewed December 12, 2013

I stayed there for 3 nights in November. It was a great time. The staff is very friendly! We had an ocean breeze bungalow which totally payed off... sleeping with the ocean breeze is just unpayable! We would definitely go back to this heaven. You can chill out in your hammock or lay on the balcony and watch the sunrise... Take a little walk towards the left on the beach... it gets really empty and you can dive (you get diving equipment in the dive shop at the hotel). Enjoy and relax...

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ina-Viola G
Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

If you are looking for a/c room, tv, fridge and hot shower, you will not find it here. But if you are looking for simple place with only fans and mosquito nets, big bathroom, stunning beach, great food and cocktail, you will definitely find them here in Castaway.

We stayed at the family house which consisted of 2 bed rooms and one huge bathroom. Each bedroom has a fan and a mosquito net. The safe was also equipped. The windows cant be opened to prevent mosquitos, I guess. Bring mosquito sprays, they do have it for sale of the island but it's cheaper to but it from the main land. Oh, now there is 7-11 on Lipe, you can also check that out. The light in each room is very dimmed, do bring a torch, it would be completely helpful at night. The room is cleaned every day, the towels are also changed every day as well. The food at restaurants were nice and not expensive compared to outside. The atmosphere of the restaurant is very relaxing and peaceful just like the whole Castaway Resort. The only downside I faced was the location of my house, it was facing someone house and you could hear their music or tv at night or morning.

I booked directly through the resort's website. The process was easy and quick. They arranged the pick up to and from the place that the boat dropped you. The hotel is in a walking distance from to many restaurants and walking street. Well, the only taxi service on Lipe is a motorbike attached to big metal basket with two wheels, which would make this vehicle called 4 wheel drive?

Any way, the beach was really beautiful. You can snorkel or kayak just right in there. There were many long tail boats so you will just have to be careful. I recommend kayaking to two little islands in that area or even around Lipe island. There is really shallow area on the left of the hotel, close to the other small island. When the tide goes down, you can see so many amazing things. Lots of macro lives to see.

I had a great time, it was peaceful and simple. It just reminded me how simple and peaceful life could be if you want to create it to be.

Stayed: December 2556
2  Thank wassika
Reviewed December 3, 2013

I really liked it. It is located on the quieter side of the island. The service was great, rooms were simple, but nice. All houses are really close to the beach. I felt like a castaway :). I definitely can recommend this place, it was worth its price.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Aleksandra S
Reviewed November 27, 2013

Castaways is a great place to turn back the clock and pretend the 21st Century didn't really arrive.
It is however exactly what it claims to be , and that is simple.
If thinking about it be sure to download the info sheet from the website and read before booking.
If the simple life is not for you then don't come here as what you see is what you get.
Pierre and Anna are great hosts , the staff are friendly and obliging and the Dive Centre is really well organised with little overcrowding on boat trips and helpful pleasant Instructors.
Who ever Zarbazan is is talking out his fundamental orifice and should have gone to Patong...

Room Tip: Beware the Beach front if you don't like the noise of waves breaking all night.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank CBLUCK58
Reviewed November 25, 2013

This was are second visit to Castaway (last time was four years ago) and I wasn't planning to write another review but when I read some of the last reviews I really have to disagree! When we were there it rained non stop for 3 days and still I did not want to leave. This is mostly due to the fact that we love Castaway! This time we took the 'basic' hut (garden comfy). Second row (just 20 meters from the beach). Though I do have to say that the bathroom furniture was beginning to look a bit tired and the roof was leaky (not in the bungalow itself but above the terrace). What makes us like this place so much is the atmosphere at the bar/restaurant area and the staff who are young and very friendly. We had a very rough crossing on the speedboat (due to the weather) and on arrival the four of us were offered a free mojito from the management, a very nice touch! Yes, it's true it's not for everyone (but when you book you get a very detailed information booklet sent to you by mail) but for us it's great! Ko Lipe unfortunately has changed a lot so it probably was the last time for us at Castaway. Sorry!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

Castaway looks like it should be a 5 star rated place - funky wooden huts by the sea and a great decked restaurant/lounging area. And the young staff were so friendly, enthusiastic and helpful that I truly wanted to give a 5 star review. But after 3 days there I felt the management is sitting on its laurels, charging relatively top dollar while failing to deliver.
So, here are my 5 to 3 star dealbreakers.
1) bedding is clean but our mattress sadly was not, and because the sheet was directly on top without an under blanket, as the night went on you got faint whiffs of old sweat.
2) no hot water. This really mattered when we were there because the weather was grizzly.
3) suicidally steep stairs in the 2 storey hut. We are relatively young and limber but we both almost came a cropper.
4) holes in mosquito net which resulted in midnight case of Tourette's on my part and a fairly intensive and gore-splattered squishing session.

All of the above are forgivable in a backpackers' hostel, and a charming backpacking environment is the image Castaway is clearly trying for. But at £40 (2600 baht) a night? You can't have it both ways. Not and get 5 stars from me, at least.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple