“Wonderful Welcome, Very Friendly Service, Excellent Food”
Review of The Duke of York

The Duke of York
Ranked #18 of 25 Restaurants in Hassocks
Cuisines: Contemporary, British, Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Duke of York offers a great range of traditional home-cooked pub food with a modern twist to create a wonderful dining experience.The Head Chef and his team believe in using local suppliers to create beautiful dishes that appeal to all. There is a fabulous selection of Specials that change frequently, and a childrens menu for those families visiting.
Worcestershire
“Wonderful Welcome, Very Friendly Service, Excellent Food”
Reviewed August 3, 2014

My sister & I stayed for three nights while visiting RIHS Hickstead. We received a warm welcome and then showed to our twin room. The room and en suite were of a good size, basic, clean, comfy beds, but the room/en suite did need updating. The food is amazing, everything we had was delicious, it was a great menu with a specials board of fish dishes and seasonal salads, very hard to choose from because they all sounded fabulous. The service is also excellent, Helen the manager is lovely and made us feel at home from the start. We were out early each morning and didn't want a cooked breakfast, so we got our choice of cereal, orange juice & toast. Also a packed lunch was offered if we had wanted it. We enjoyed our stay & will definitely be booking again the next time we visit Hickstead.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank mercedes20

Hassocks, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We went for a family meal with 10 people for my daughters 18th birthday lunch. They seated us on some really odd arrangement of tables which meant half the guests had their back to each other and had to keep turning round to talk. The meat on the roast was fatty and the vegetables were awful.

Visited October 2013
3 Thank kesprg
Reading, United Kingdom
“Great Reviews Dissapointing Visit”
Reviewed April 9, 2014

I checked the reviews before booking for two nights and all looked good.
Pub is very nice and well set out rooms are clean a little basic but offer what they advertise. Car park was fine with plenty of space.

I went up to my room which was spacious clean but a little basic, switched on the slightly older flat screen TV which produced a disastrous image that tripped out due to a poor digital signal,

OK tried the "Free WiFi" called "the cloud," more like a smouldering smog without much visibility, so the WiFi was borderline as well. Had a meal in the bar which was OK the beer was good.

Asked about breakfast the next morning to be told "We swerve breakfast from 9.00 am." Not much good if you are down here working and staying away? So breakfast is now off the agenda as well.

When staying away I need WiFi and a little decent TV to relax after working and catching up with the paperwork in the B&B but not this time. Breakfast at 7:30 and a good evening meal is a bonus.

When you add up the £45 per night and take away breakfast and then no TV in the room no WiFi that serves it's purpose the cost of £45 seems well over priced don't you think? I was not offered a reduction for all the advertised services that did not materialise. What is really sad the lady running the pub seems very nice but does anyone have the first clue how to offer guests accommodation and put in the package what is advertised? I for one won't be back and I am contracted to working in this area for the next 2 years.

Next week I am back t The Homestead in Burgess Hill, happy days!

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank TonyHilbo
Woking, United Kingdom
“Marvellous friendly pub for food”
Reviewed April 2, 2014

This is a lovely friendly, welcoming pub that does very good food!
I brought my Mother here on Christmas Day, for their special menu, and we were both very, very impressed, which if you knew my mother, is an achievement! The landlady is just lovely, so warm and friendly, and is part of why the experience of eating there is so enjoyable. She is also very good at making sure her establishment runs like clockwork, with great attention to small details. The food on Christmas Day was excellent, including the best, most delicious soup I have eaten out anywhere!
So we returned on Mother's Day, which being a Sunday, means that the menu specialises in roast dinners, including a nut roast for vegetarians (there is a different menu Mon-Sat) although there are also other choices. My mother had the latter, despite not being a veggie like myself. I was impressed that she was asked if she was vegetarian, and so needed vegetarian gravy. She said it was good. I need to add is that if you like Yorkshire puddings, then this is the pub for you! My other vegetarian (nut-free) dish was also very tasty, and the rest of the meal was also very good. Finally as I paid the bill, they presented my mother with a box of chocolates from them, a surprise which delighted her and helped make her day. Just another example of the landlady's attention to detail that makes this pub rather special.
We will be back, on a normal day, to try the other menu soon!

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank BalmainBug30e
Storrington, UK
“Friendly, warm and good wholesome food”
Reviewed March 28, 2014

We called into the Duke of York for lunch today on the off chance, on the way back from doing some shopping. I had little knowledge of the pub, but reviews on line were positive. We definitely did not regret eating here. There was plenty of parking and the pub and surrounding grounds looked well kept and clean.

We were welcomed warmly and settled down with a coffee whilst perusing the menu which that day had changed from the winter to spring menu. There were also some very tempting fish specials on the board, including Tuna and Swordfish (we sneakily looked at a neighbouring table's food and the swordfish and tuna dishes looked really inviting and not a trace of fishy smell at all. The price for the cottage pie was under £10 and frankly well worth the money.

We were advised that there were portions of the winter menu remaining, a pastry pie and cottage pie. We both plumped for the cottage pie and were going to be greedy and share a bowl of chips - however we were advised that the portions were large and we might not need the additional chips - we accepted her suggestion and really were pleased we did ! The cottage pie came in a separate bowl on a plate laden with swede, broccoli and carrots, all piping hot and nicely seasoned. I uploaded the steaming bowl of pie onto the plate and was frankly amazed at the volume of food, which was devoured with relish. It was frankly one of the nicest cottage pies I have had in any eatery and my friend and I really only just managed to eat it all . . . definitely no room for any desserts !

The lady serving us (sorry not to have caught her name as she was really friendly and helpful) was attentive and did everything to make us comfortable and enjoy our meal.

As usual I checked out the ladies . . you can tell a lot from the amenities . . and found them to be very well decorated, exceptionally clean and well maintained - I was impressed.

We would not hesitate to go back there and might try out the Sunday roast - a fellow diner advised that on Sundays it is extremely busy so must book ahead, he also said that the food was excellent - another good reason to try this out another day.

There is a garden behind the pub and a number of tables, all well away from the road and not too close together - I expect these are very popular in the Summer months and for children there is a play area with a wooden raised building and climbing frame area to keep them occupied, all safely within the garden

I and my friend would not hesitate to go back and I will introduce my husband to this pub very soon.

• Visited March 2014