“Coped with the club”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 29, 2013

About 50 of us from our club booked the Thatched Inn for our presentation evening. Not unreasonably we were offered a limited menu and we gave them a few days notice of our choices.

My expectation of the food was low as with this many people all being served in one sitting it would be a struggle for a proper restaurant let alone a pub in a smallish village.

We have a very opinionated membership but there was very little negative comment about the food. For me my starter was a reasonable size and tasty, main course of roast beef was hot and with plenty of veg served and a second helping quickly appearing when the first was taken.

I can see that in the week this place would appeal to an older lunch time clientèle as it has the feeling and menu to suit this market. I could find something to suit my taste from the usual menu and from looking in when passing it has no trouble getting a large number of younger diners(middle aged).

This place is not a high quality restaurant for an intimate meal but it knows what it is and does this well.

1  Thank GreyTrippers
There are newer reviews for The Thatched Inn

Reviewed March 18, 2013

I in no way mean this to be disrespectful, but we as two people in our twenties felt very out of place as this pub is geared towards the 'older' population that inhabit it, I think we were the only people under 70! The food we had was tasty though.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

having eaten here a few years ago i returned for dinner whilst visiting friends, should have known there would be a problem with only 6 other diners.
steak asked for rare came out medium-medium well, no seasoning not rested, sauce appaling completely inedible
my friends steak well done should have been medium, salad looked like it had been sitting around for a while, chips over done- how hard can it be to cook chips?, even i could do that.
£50 for two meals and 2 beers expensive for the quality we recieved and listening to the staff ordering food from brake brothers seemed to fit in well with the standard served!!!
such a shame as looking at the other reviews it appears a nice local pub, would not return

2  Thank SurreyGent_13
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Went to The Thatch with our Monday U3A Lunch Group. The food was very good and lots of it. The service is always very good too. Menu could be a bit more varied, but overall it is a good pub restaurant which is reasonably priced.

1  Thank DawdieBrighton
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I went for a midweek lunch. I was amazed at how busy the restaurant was, I was expecting it to be very quiet. When the food arrived I learned why. It isn't trying to be a gastropub, and good for them. The food is good, has imagination, and is generously sized but not fussy, and critically tasted good.
The atmosphere was pleasant and bright and the views of the South Downs were great.

1  Thank EmmaLauren29