“lunch with my friend”

The Friars Oak
Ranked #22 of 25 Restaurants in Hassocks
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Friar's Oak in Hassocks is a country pub & restaurant oozing rural charm and rustic character. Our picturesque surroundings provide the perfect backdrop for savouring the hearty, seasonal pub-food on our menu, and the carefully nurtured cask ales and fine wines gracing our bar.
Reviewed August 21, 2013

My friend and i came to the pub, as we have been lots of times before and loved it, this time i had the salad and pork belly £12.95, i had the bottom of the bowl of salad and just 6 bits of pork Belly for that price, it was like a starter!! my friend had the salmon with broad beans, and hers was smaller that mine, so either make the dinners bigger or the price cheaper!

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Last Friday after a hard week we just didn't feel like cooking so popped into the Friars Oak for a quick meal. It was exactly as expected, average, nothing fantastic but nothing awful either. It's part of a chain, it's got a huge menu so you know it's not specially prepared and cooked on the premises. It has generally very young and inexperienced staff but they are quite helpful. Its production line stuff. The one thing that did rankle is the fact that as another reviewer has said you are not to be trusted with the condiments and sauces, they bring them on a tray and will not leave your choice with you, it really is very poor.

1  Thank DavidJC1956
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We have eaten here on several occasions, usually for Sunday lunch which is of an average standard, but is service of the roast is usually very quick.

A couple of weeks ago we came for a meal on Sunday evening. After we had received our starter we had to wait 45 mins for our main which was just steak and gammon with chips.
The steak was tiny and very expensive and although the gammon was nice, that's all I could really say about it. The chips were a very small portion so over all poor. By the time my meal came I didn't have a drink to go with my meal so had to order another with the waitress, which I explained I had drank as waited so long. No apology nothing.

Tables were dirty and when we were eating it was even busy so I don't know what the delay was.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

We visited on Friday night,Dining outside on shabby tables,Salt and pepper pots thrown in an old bucket with cutlery!! Disgusting! No other condiments were offered to us.mind you even a bucket full would not have made any difference to the awful tasteless meal we had.Expensive Rubbish!!!.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

I have to say that we went to the Friars Oak for a family birthday on the recommendation of good friends, we were not disappointed.
We went more recently since the take over and were disappointed in the menu. The food standard was not as good as we remembered, although the staff who served us and our little grandson were attentive. The service was slower than I remembered, and the deserts were disappointing.
I wouldn't go there again in a hurry, or to the Devil's Dyke which is run by the same group, for the similar reasons.