“Behind Closed Doors!!!!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Ockley B&B and Inns
Derby, United Kingdom
“Behind Closed Doors!!!!”
Reviewed April 17, 2012

The welcome was warm,The Bar Staff & Landlady very accommodating. Dinner in the restaurant was excellent, despite being the only customers booked in that evening. And the landlady did light the gas fire for us as it was decidedly chilly.

However, we retired to our room to find that the bedroom was exceedingly grubby.....cobwebs and all! We were not expecting luxury accommodation as it is a 'listed building' and a typical old Coaching Inn. The carpet was thread bare in patches and the vacuum cleaner obviously didn't reach into the corners of the room!. The Shower room smelt musty and there was black mould growing on the ceiling! But the worst thing was the bed linen....obviously not changed from the previous occupants: grubby & smelled of other people's unwashed bodies and stale cheap deodorant.......ugh!!!!!!

Room Tip: Not for the 'light sleepers! Noise from the Bar downstairs is inevitable as the rooms are direct...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Suzie1948

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 14, 2012

A few of us stayed here at the weekend as we were out celebrating a friend's birthday. I think overall, we booked 2 x double rooms and 2 x single rooms.

Firstly - the welcome was lovely. Very hospitable and friendly. "Excellent start", we thought...

Then on to upstairs - the rooms were scruffy to say the least. No valance sheet on our bed, so the dirty bed bases were bare. The duvet covers, whilst smelling nice and clean were old and faded. I felt as though I'd arrived at an old Auntie's house, not a B&B which promised so much on their website. My friend's valance sheet was disgusting. Filthy. I think we had a lucky escape not having any at all in our room. Perhaps they were being incinerated.

Down to the bar and there is a very lovely, placid but smelly dog which takes up an entire sofa in the lounge area. If you come here, take a good look at those sofas and think twice about sitting on them. They are pretty rough. We spotted a little black jumping flea-like creature on the bar and at the time laughed it off. However, my friend wasn't laughing the next morning with a leg graced with huge bites. Maybe the fleas came from the dog, maybe not. However, frankly, this is a business, with paying customers - smelly, dribbly pets, should be kept away from where customers are sitting.

And finally, on to our 'continental breakfast'. Show me a continental that eats this rubbish and I'll eat my own leg. Breakfast consisted of boxes of cereal, toast, muffin, croissant, tea or coffee. No fruit juices, no cold meats, no boiled eggs or whatever else a 'continental' might find gracing their breakfast table. This is a really poor effort considering this pub talks a good talk when it comes to their food. Even the fire alarm went off during breakfast as someone burnt the toast. Perhaps I now see why a boiled egg might be a little difficult for them.

All in all, it was not a nice experience, especially one priced at £65 for a double room. I would strongly urge the (very nice & personable) owners to wake up and realise that this is a business, not their front room. With a fumigation, a lick of paint and new bed linen, they may well pull themselves up to a 2* establishment.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
7 Thank sussextraveller24
publandloard, Owner at The Inn on the Green, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
Readers of this review, we were very distressed to receive such a poor review and feel we have been portrayed in an unnecessarily harsh light. TripAdvisor can be hurtful at times regarding the vehemence with which people occasionally speak of us.

Firstly, the rooms we offer are basic, but clean and sanitary. Since the posting of this review, there have been upgrades in the room cleaning and fitting; new bed linens and towels have been purchased, the housekeeping has been assessed and streamlined, new checklists are in operation to ensure thorough and regulated room cleans, especially following a dog staying. Down in the bar we have invested in an industrial furniture cleaner and the couches and carpets are regularly attacked by myself. Still, as a busy country pub wear and tear is unavoidable. Kia (the pub dog) is regularly washed along with the furniture. We are a pub bed and breakfast, not a five star hotel. As the owners, we could easily spend tens of thousands of pounds kitting out the rooms to a spectacular standard however this is obviously financially unviable. As to the insect aspect, any large, old building will get creepy crawlies from time to time. This has nothing to do with cleaning. No other customers have complained of any bites from the beds before or since this review to us or on the various other sites. Perhaps mosquitoes could be to blame. Perhaps it was a one off unfortunate chance encounter.

The food here is indeed one point upon which we have built our reputation, and continue to do so. The continental breakfast is industry standard, croissants are baked on the morning they're served, a selection of cereals, toasts and crumpets, coffee, tea, concentrate juice are all available. As a small business with only six rooms a full smorgasbord would result in significant wastage which the business can't afford especially as the breakfast is complimentary. We pride ourselves on serving fresh, local ingredients, having a fantastic, live in head chef, sous chef and patisserie chef. The kitchen has obtained and maintained a five star hygiene rating, one of few in the area. The Green Rooms Restaurant is well received and well reputed in the area. Our new summer menu is innovative and includes a range of options; vegetarian, restaurant style, pub classics, and of course, the puddings.

We are a small, family run business, and set out to do the best we can. This is our home as well as work and with the staff and locals as a sort of extended family we have a community based, atmospheric business and we strive to maintain this aspect of our pub. We urge you to consider that this individual and group may have been particularly disgruntled by the service, or by some other issue we cannot know of. Please take into account the other reviews posted. And if this customer could contemplate the reality of running two bed and breakfasts, restaurants and pubs, the hours and costs involved and respect the fact that country pubs are disappearing constantly because of this pressure to compete with big, corporate businesses and need support before speaking so harshly or expecting the impossible. If a standardised, commercialised stay is what you’re looking for, try the local Premier Inn.
Sidmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 15, 2011

We booked last minute as we were in the area working and needed a cheap clean b & b...we were greeted by a very friendly chap which was nice...Once shown to our room we were a little dissapointed as it seemed tired and in need of some TLC...the bed was clean and smelt nice which was great but the mattress was old and lumpy.and proved to not be very comfortable to sleep on..A very small portable TV set high on the wall wasnt really very satisfactory but hey ho... It was really noisy to start but that did settle except for a.... bang.. bang... bang.. all night.. We have know idea what it was..could have been loose tiles on the roof.. a window not secure properly in another room.. who knows..all we know is we had a dreadful nights sleep because of it...We were disappointed to find it was a continental style breakfast as it didnt indicate that on the site when we booked it..We would book again if in the area and couldnt find anything else which seems a shame as they were pleasant folk.. ...And we have to agree with what some one else said about the dog..not really a good idea where people are eating and I'm allergic to animals so made me sneeze..

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank Huffyhail
Forest Row, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 9, 2011

The pub itself for a quick drink is fine and the staff very friendly. Once into the accommodation area, however, things change dramatically. My room was diabolical, dirty with threadbare carpet. The walls were paper thin . The shower was dirty and ineffectual and the bed extremely uncomfortable. I could not wait to leave the place, which has to be one of the worst I have ever stayed in, and I travel a lot all over the world.

I felt really let down as the web pictures looked so inviting.

I cannot comment on the breakfasts as I did not want to prolong my stay to find out what they were like.

Oh how I wish I had consulted Trip Advisor first, I normally do but had to book in a rush due to a last minute business trip. Some of the reviews describing the place as excellent just cannot be genuine!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
7 Thank Tannoit
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 22, 2010

We stayed two nights with Gwyneth and Paul whist attending a wonderful wedding nearby. We had terrific hospitality and excellent food with a nice laid back pint and glass or two before and after our friends wedding. Our bedroom provided fantastic views over the garden, and to top it off the sun shined all weekend.
Considering we were in and out over the weekend Gwyneth and Paul were perfect hosts, we would certainly stay there again.
Penny and Graham Fisher, Leicestershire

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Surrey
Reviewed July 1, 2010

I have just held my wedding reception at The Inn on The Green and it was amazing from start to finish and they made my day the happiest day of my life, nothing was too much trouble and i cant thank them all enough.
We had a sit down meal for 55 people which was one of the best meals i have ever had - everyone at the wedding was so impressed and we recieved so many good words from guests about how incredible the venue, staff and food was. In the evening we had around 150 people and still everything went so smoothly The staff at The Inn on The Green went way over and above any expectations i had i seriously cant thank them enough for giving me the happiest day of my life - i would HIGHLY reccomend this hotel/bar/restaurant to EVERYONE as i garentee you wont be disappointed, i just cant wait to go back again now.

Food - Incrediable 5*
Staff - Friendly & helpful nothing is too much trouble
Venue - Beautiful...a real hidden gem

Hayley

• Stayed June 2010
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 25, 2010

Having called in advance I questioned the accommodation available - I was offered a choice of either a newly refurbished bedroom or for a slightly reduced price a room awaiting refurbishment - in the next upgrade phase coming shortly.
I went with the newly done room - Room number 1 EXCELLENT I would recommend this.
( While staying I did ask to see the old room and was given the tour I understand they are hoping to be done shortly - the room would have been fine but I was more than happy with Room 1.
Dinner - highly recommend - excellent selection from the menu Creamy King Prawn And Fish Pie and New Zealand Shoulder Of Lamb G.
Our breakfast was served by polite and welcoming staff - very filling to take us on our way to walk on Leith Hill.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ockley
Gatton Manor
The White Horse Hotel, Dorking
Barnett Hill Hotel
Barnett Hill Hotel
#1 of 1 in Wonersh

Been to The Inn on the Green? Share your experiences!