“Living in the past”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Bryce's Fresh Fish Restaurant - CLOSED

Bryce's Fresh Fish Restaurant
Cuisines: Seafood, British
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Spacious and relaxed, Bryce's is a seafood restaurant located in the historic Surrey village of Ockley. The straightforward menu opts for a fresh, simple approach to fish, with intelligent and uncompetitive flavouring. Daily specials include meat and vegetarian dishes, while the bar menu offers lighter meals for casual diners or those in a hurry.
“Living in the past”
Reviewed July 1, 2014 via mobile

in the last four years i have visited this restaurant several times,
the decor is nice ( carpet is more rental flat than restaurant ) .
service is always good , the food is very average, resting on its laurels slightly , many many plates showing the awards that they have received over the years , im sure that when the 1998 award was given , the menu was new and exciting , being overseen by mr Bryce himself.
but it now feels a bit like 'we have got the awards, this is what we serve'
the food isnt bad nor good, the 60 somethings that seem to frequent this place , seem happy with the average dated food, but i believe that if the boss had a kick up the rear, he would be overbooked every night...

Visited June 2014
2 Thank DRMF1066
billbryce, Owner at Bryce's Fresh Fish Restaurant, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Thank you for your review. However, a few points you may have missed.
The menu was "new and exciting" in 1992, when we opened. Our customers tell us that by changing most of it, whilst retaining favourites, every 3 months, keeps it that way.

I'm the Mr Bryce that apparently needs "a kick up the backside" and I would just like to inform you that my wife and I are very much hands on in all aspects of our business but like most of the establishments outside London, we do get our quiet periods. I would rather you were correct and we were overbooked every night but I deal in the reality of the industry after spending 45 years working in it.

With regard to our awards. Our first was in 1998 after 6 years trading. The one's that matter, Michelin, AA, Hardens are only awarded for one year and the establishment is re-assesed before the next award. Last year Tripadvisor gave us an award for Excellence, gratefully received.
I'm delighted to say that we have been recognized every year since 1998.

“Amazing oysters...”
Reviewed July 1, 2014 via mobile

Surpassed expectations ..... Plump, sweet and juicy oysters followed by very simply but perfectly cooked plaice, the veg were a little boring but a delicious English cheese board made made up for it

1 Thank merrivale7
Ireland
“Average food and poor service”
Reviewed June 11, 2014

We were looking forward to this meal as it had been reccomended to us. The menu looked nice, I was a bit disappointed with my choice, I had the seafood grill, quite small portions and at £16 expensive for what it was. My colleagues were quite happy with their sea bass and cod. The service was poor, our side orders did not arrive until we were nearly finished our mains.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank Blim_Hunter
billbryce, Owner at Bryce's Fresh Fish Restaurant, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Thank you for your comments. I would have appreciated chatting to you about your visit and disappointment, however I realise that if others are present, it is not always feasible.
This is not the kind of service we recognise and I am a little surprised that our Seafood Grill, seven pieces of fresh fish & creamed potato, was not to your satisfaction. The fact that your side dishes were not served at the same time as your main courses is totally unacceptable and I do apologise.
I hope to welcome you back and can assure you that you will not be disappointed again.
Surrey
“Fish-tastic”
Reviewed May 26, 2014

Visited this restaurant for lunch today with parents. Lovely environment, excellent service and really good food. A really enjoyable dining experience on all fronts. Thank you.

• Visited May 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Very nice fish dishes and friendly service”
Reviewed May 26, 2014

Had lunch here on bank holiday weekend. Had the fish pie and fish and chips, both of which arrived in a good sized portion. Both dishes were very enjoyable, would visit again!

• Visited May 2014