“Very friendly, great food, lovely atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Mayflower

Dining options: Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout, Waitstaff
Wellingborough
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very friendly, great food, lovely atmosphere”
Reviewed January 12, 2012

Each time we visit the Mayflower, we are dilighted by the friendly service, the great food and the relaxing atmosphere.
The staff are attentive without being in the way, and can't do enough for you. We asked for a variation on the menu and this was no problem - nothing ever is.
My brother was over from Abu Dhabi recently and we wanted to take him somewhere really special - once again the Mayflower delighted us all.
There is always a huge variety on offer on the menu and prices are very good - especially given the high quality of the food.
Well worth a try!!

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank Trish P

Northampton, United Kingdom
“OVERPRICED ZERO ATMOSPHERE AND MISERABLE FACED WOMAN”
Reviewed December 16, 2011

Made me laugh to read this restaurant is voted number 2 in Irthlingborough seeing as it is the only Chinese restaurant there and the only other sit down restaurants are 2 Indians...The tall lady that works there is a real miserable looking sour face. She has an attitude as if she is doing you a favour by allowing you to spend your money. We noticed she is always speaking to other employees in a snidey manner about the customers especially when it come to the end of the meal when the tipping is due. The restaurant is never full ( we have been there 3 times in 4 years ) to sit down and each time we wonder why we bothered. There is absolutely NO ATMOSPHERE WHATSOEVER.. It is honestly overpriced for what it is and where it is. Nothing they cook there I would say is freshly prepared mixed starters for instance pancake rolls prawns in pastry etc you know the sort of thing all prepacked thrown in the Wok and served. Crispy Duck on set meal must be anorexic as there is hardly anything on there.. Wine prices are a joke cheap old House Wine around £12 to £14.. cost about £2.99 from the wholesalers guaranteed next day hangover poison.. Anybody that can say that this restaurant is value for money etc has really never been to a decent restaurant without a doubt.. Give it a miss..............

• Visited November 2011
4 Thank FIZZYFOX
Wellingborough, United Kingdom
“Overpriced”
Reviewed August 25, 2011

A group of us went from Church and were disappointed by the portion size, food quality and price of drinks. This was a set meal. The dessert was a tablespoon of tinned fruit salad or one scoop of ice cream. Not somewhere we'd go again.

• Visited September 2010
1 Thank Sue C
Northampton, United Kingdom
“The best Chinese dining experience I have had in years!”
Reviewed May 7, 2011

We have been hearing the locals in our village (10 miles away) talking of the Mayflower for some time now, and I finally decided to make a visit after a further recommendation from a friend from London who just found this restaurant by chance while on business.

We booked a table for four and found this family run restaurant easily. Inside is a reasonable sized and most welcoming seating arrangement offering intimacy as well as the option for larger bookings. The restaurant is comfortable and spotlessly clean. We decided on a selection of starters, Salt & Pepper ribs, Spare ribs in sauce, and crispy duck for two, mixed starters for two, and some duck pancake rolls. All were cooked and presented perfectly, and the food was superb. Main courses were again mixed with sizzling steak platters, salt & pepper squid and a chicken in black bean sauce. Boiled rice, egg fried rice, and mushroom rice to accompany.

The standard of food was the best I have eaten in years, and certainly the best I have found outside of the more expensive restaurants in central London. The staff were very attentive and service was excellent. All in all a wonderful experience and I will certainly be returning on a regular basis.

I must also mention that from a “value for money” point of view, I think one would be hard pushed to match it! We had a selection of 7 starters, four main courses, 3 rice dishes, 2 bottles of wine, copious amounts of Chinese beer, a few vodka and cokes, coffee and one desert. The bill came in at a very reasonable £157, a little over £35 per head for a feast of food, lots of booze, perfect service and a really friendly dining experience.

I would have given full marks for atmosphere also, but unfortunately there was a rather large party in the restaurant with an extremely noisy baby! However, it did not detract from an altogether fantastic night out. I have no hesitation in highly recommending this to anyone. I think this has been a closely guarded eating place by locals in the past, but sorry, everyone should know about this little gem!

• Visited May 2011
1 Thank TheGoodFoodHunter
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“they really ever so lovely in there and I won't give anything away, but if its someone's birthday or a romanic people...”
Reviewed March 15, 2008

they really ever so lovely in there and I won't give anything away, but if its someone's birthday or a romanic people, they do add their own little touch to the evening, as well some elovely chinese food!

1 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook