Holiday Inn Express Preston South
$66
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
Brook House Hotel(Clayton le Woods)
$62
$56
$81
$78
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Travelodge Preston Chorley(Clayton le Woods)
$44
Travelodge
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
Hallmark Hotel Preston Leyland(Leyland)(Great Value!)
$70
No.10 Preston(Preston)
$125
$101
Hotels.com
Premier Inn Preston Central Hotel(Preston)(Great Value!)
$65
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewshi expressstayed herescrambled egg and beansfree wifilarge showerovernight stopbusiness tripmodern hotelbudget hotelshower roomgood sizebreakfast was includedreception staffreception areagood nights sleepwould stay againnight's sleep
Reviewed December 16, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I arrived not long after 2pm. Reception were quick and we were checked into our room in no time.
The room is spacious and modern looking. The bathroom is big and the shower is very roomy for this type of budget hotel. We were impressed.
Tea/Coffee facilities were provided along with shampoo/shower gel.
We borrowed an iron and ironing board from reception.
Reception booked us a taxi to take us to our location for the evening. It arrived within 5 minutes.
Although the hotel is located near a busy motorway this did not disturb our nights sleep. We didn't hear anyone from other rooms either.
The free breakfast was an added bonus. You can choose from cereal and breakfast pastries or toast to a mini cooked breakfast. We had the lot. The self service bar was more than adequate; the food was hot and fresh. The seating area was well attended and kept clean.
Check out was just as quick as check in.
The hotel looked recently decorated and was clean. The staff were pleasant and helpful. Free car parking and wi-fi are available.
All in all this was a pleasant stay and I would book this hotel again.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 15, 2013

This is our 2nd stay here, very friendly staff, very clean and tidy , room was clean and quiet, bed was comfy , tea and coffee, free wifi, ice machine on ground floor beside lift , breakfast was sausage/egg/beans/toast/muffins/fruit etc , lots of parking , we would return.

Reviewed December 8, 2013

The location of this hotel is excellent, the reception is excellent, the staff are excellent, the decor is excellent, the bar was excellent, the restaurant for breakfast was just what was required, the rooms were excellent, the bathrooms were excellent the mattress in room 127, however, was VERY CHEAP AND NASTY. IT WAS SO POOR I spend most of the night trying to stop falling into the centre.

With the two of us in the bed the mattress can best be described as a bowl with the centre being the bottom of the bowl. Apart from the bed in a hotel in the centre of Gloucester City that we had the misfortune to book one winter for a night many years ago when we were able to count all the springs, this is the worst mattress I have had the misfortune to encounter.

I try to be vary fair in my reports and not exaggerate and you might think I am being a little unfair in my criticism of this Holiday Inn Express. Well I am not. I have not only stayed in many Holiday Inn and HI Express Hotels, but I am also a Priority Club holder and have commented favourably on other hotels in this chain.

I feel desperately sorry for the staff who are delightful. But there is no sense in lying about the mattress in room 127. It was cheap and nasty and what are hotels there for but to provide you with a bed that will allow the customer, yes that is what I am a customer, a good nights sleep.

The celebrity advertising a rival hotel says as he falls back onto one of their beds about having a good nights sleep. Well if he fell back onto the bed we had he could have done himself serious harm.

How sad that such a fantastic hotel is let down by some higher manager insisting on cheapening the hotel by buying substandard mattresses.

I would love to stay at this hotel again, but not to sleep on that mattress or any other like it.

Please take note those who buy mattresses for this hotel. Why buy cheap saggy mattresses for this hotel when all the other HI's and HIE's we have stayed in have mattresses that have are so very much better?

To the hotel staff I just want to say a very big thank you for being so friendly and welcoming, you are great, it is just a pity your managers are letting you down. I am sorry to have to say that this is the most critical review I have carried out so far on Trip Advisor.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a firm mattress, and ensure it is very much better than the norm at this hotel.
1  Thank Peter R
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Preston South, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2013

Dear Peter R,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your stay. I appreciate and wish to thank you for the kind comments on the staff. However, I sincerely apologize for the experience you had with the unsatisfactory mattress. Rest assured that your comments will be looked into and take actions accordingly. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be. Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed December 8, 2013

i stay here usually when i travel from scotland, short and sweet check in, just what i like, bedroom clean, breakfast was horrible, arrived at 9am for breakfast two tables were clean, all the others were dirty and there was no staff anyway doing anything, the buffet looked depressed, old and soggy food, everything just felt dirty, my bowl was dirty for my cereal, if i wanted to say something there wasnt anyone to say it to. i guess it may of been at the end of a busy breakfast but to leave the tables like that was disgusting, i am very dissapointed as breakfast is my favourite part of staying at a hotel.

1  Thank ginninja

Dear ginninja,

Thank you for your feedback and for choosing our hotel. I am very pleased that you noticed the cleanliness of the room. On the other hand, I certainly apologize for the inconveniences you experienced you have had over breakfast. Your comments are being shared with the hotel management and appropriate action will be taken. We hope that you take the time to stop in for a visit soon to see how we have taken every comment very seriously in order to make your future stays with us as pleasant as possible.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed December 7, 2013

This is my second visit and I stayed for 6 nights. I have absolutely no complaints.

For me the bed was extremely clean and comfortable. People go on about the beds in hotels, but this choice is extremely personal and of course no bed will be suitable for everyone and I feel as long as it is clean then the comfort is a personal situation which cannot possibly be catered to everyones' taste. Also, bed 'standard' sizes differ throughout the world, for instance UK bed sizes are smaller than US sizes, so we must make allowances in our expectations for this.

I have stayed in many of this brands' hotels across the world and would say this one ranks with the best (given the price etc.).

Many things, such as the friendliness and attitudes of all staff that I encountered were wonderful and pleasing, again so much more than at other hotels within the brand. Attitudes can 'differ' if you yourself present an 'attitude' problem.

Noise was not a problem, that which was heard was the entire responsibility of the other guests which no-one can guarantee against.

The site and location are wonderful with plenty of space, modern features and very generous with 'extras'. Nothing appeared to be too much trouble.

Breakfast, well again, I have been in the catering industry and can confirm this is a hard facility to get right. There are many legal issues that have to be addressed, as well as Health & Hygiene which can occasionally be seen as 'over the top', but that having been said, the couple of times items had run out, they were soon replaced, and I for one would prefer to have a small tray of food replenished often with fresh food, than copious amounts that can become degraded by the length of time they have to be kept at the required temperature. Yet again, food qualities, taste, etc. vary tremendously over the world and you will always find something that being different, you feel should not be provided because it does not met with your personal taste. Then of course there are the guests themselves, and one annoyance I found was that one particular guest each morning would alter the toaster settings to 'burn' despite there being a polite notice from the establishment to please not alter these settings.

So, I am once again giving this hotel 5 stars and will definitely stay again and again. Many thanks for a memorable and enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: If noise from a lift bothers you, then make a request to reflect this, otherwise they all seemed great to me.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends