“a wonderful place for nature lovers!!”

Rio Muchacho Organic Farm
Ranked #2 of 8 things to do in Canoa
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Río Muchacho Organic Farm and Accommodation is nestled in a small valley on the coast of Ecuador, 40 minutes north of Bahía de Caraquez Ecocity and 15 minutes from the popular beach town of Canoa. We offer guests a place to stay, tours of our farm and surrounding forests (and monkeys!) on horseback and many more cultural activities. We are named one of the 13 best examples of responsible tourism on planet earth (Channel 5 Montreal - Another Way to Travel), one of National Geographic Travel's six favourite places to stay in Ecuador, is featured throughout the Lonely Planet and is an internationally recognized example of sustainable land management through permaculture design and agroecology.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Activities for older children
Canoa, Ecuador
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“a wonderful place for nature lovers!!”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

I have been living and volunteering in Rio Muchacho for a few months and LOVE it. ‘Permaculture’ is the will to live in harmony with nature, and Rio Muchacho is such a beautiful experience to that regard! I have been learning a lot about plants, animals, and nature’s cycles. Also I have been learning ‘little things’ like how to re-use or save water, how to recycle paper, etc. Simple daily acts, but they mean a lot! I also play music and paint, and have been finding so much beautiful inspiration in this place… I have been meeting wonderful people:, some native from the community, some volunteering or visitors who come from all over the world… but who all share in common values: respect for nature, and willing to live and travel in way that is more sustainable and respectful. Every day here I meet someone with who I can share ideas, values, knowledge… And every day here I look around and I am amazed by the beauty around us: birds, trees, plants, animals, rivers, colors and sounds…. Definitively a wonderful place for nature lovers!!

Visited June 2013
1 Thank ma-gabrielle

Kingston, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“A beautiful comminuty and an incredible learning experience”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I have been a volunteer on the farm for the past six months and have gained so much in my time there. The natural environment is so stunningly beautiful, I really can't believe how lucky I am to live in such an awe-inspiring place. Standing in that garden at sunrise or sunset makes me wonder how I'll ever be able to leave, and listening to the symphonies of frogs and insects at night is incredibly soothing. Nicola has infinite amounts of knowledge about organic agriculture, I feel so fortunate to have such an experienced and well-educated teacher. Dario is constantly attempting new projects to strive for sustainable living, and is so happy to have interested and inspired volunteers there to help him. The workers are all so welcoming and kind, they have become like family to me and I really can't imagine leaving them. I have changed so much in my time here, and find the idea of going back to flush toilets and showering with clean drinking water absolutely impossible. Yes the owners have two young children who often throw tantrums and cry, and yes they are often distracted by their parenting responsibilities, but they still are eager to teach and the other workers on the farm are always more than happy to help. I also took the one month intensive permaculture course while I was there, and learnt so much theoretical knowledge to add to all the practical skills I was already honing. I would recommend volunteering for at least a month to anyone interested in learning about sustainable living and organic permaculture, as long as they aren't scared off by screaming pigs first thing in the morning, or intimidating but harmless spiders in the bathroom at night. I promise you will learn a lot and be inspired to strive for a better future for the planet, wherever your travels take you.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Milaina L
Canoa, Ecuador
“The best place in Canoa”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We went to Rio Muchacho 2 months ago with my wife and my 2 kids for the 3 day tour, we did a lot of nice activities we see monkeys and did tonga with the locals Oscar Allie and Danilo are the best, starting in the office Alex will treat you like family and you will have a lot of pictures to show to your relativies theres beatiful giant tree, horse backriding, baño negro, and you will have a incredible rings and artcrafts made by yourself.
thats why i recommend my friends this place so much.
Andreja
Serbia

Visited June 2013
Olympia, Washington
“Learning and enjoying the community at Rio Muchacho”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I visited Rio Muchacho to volunteer during one of the permaculture courses. When I arrived, I decided to join in on the part time course, and it was incredible! I learned so much about farming and organic agriculture, and it was taught in such a way that can be applicable anywhere in the world. The practical experience from volunteering was great as well, I really had the opportunity to plant, weed, make garden beds, and harvest. The farm is in a small rural community, and all of the employees are from that community, also called Rio Muchacho. They are all great and very knowledgeable, and it was perfect for practicing Spanish. The rooms are rustic, but perfectly clean and quite cozy. The mealtimes are wonderful for meeting new people and the food is delicious - the best vegetables you will find in Ecuador.

I had a great time at Rio Muchacho and especially enjoyed going on afternoon runs through the community followed by a quick swim in the river. I definitely recommend the farm as a great place to learn about agriculture while enjoying rural Ecuador in a beautiful setting.

Visited May 2013
Quito, Pichincha, Ecuador
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A learning experience”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I visited the farm while a permaculture course was in progress and was able to talk to many of the full time participants. Some of whom I have had further contact with. One older man informed me that after his one month permaculture course he has changed his diet and eating habits and has felt healthier than he had for decades. He is applying much of what he learned on his property in the amazon area. Another told me that he had looked for permaculture courses in other parts of the world and found that the two week courses offered in most places cost as much or more than one month at Rio Muchacho. There were people from many different nations attending the course which also included evening activities and seemed very complete to me, because it was not just permaculture but also "hands on" sustainable agriculture. There was one person who did not seem to like the idea of dirty hands and muddy boots, who made me wonder why he was there at all, but most of the others seemed a happy and interesting group who exchanged lots of new ideas.

Visited November 2012