“A shangrila”
Review of Canoa Beach Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Canoa
Canoa Beach Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Canoa
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Greg, the owner,has made this place a shangrila in a surfing village. The accomodations were beachy but very comfortable.Greg's friendly and personable manner was also reflected by the cordial and accomodating staff.the flowers and landscaping were beautiful and tasteful. and offered a great opportunity for photosWe loved the pool design and spent alot of time there! we want to thank Greg and h isstaff for the highlight of our vacation!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Canoa Beach Hotel

Reviewed February 28, 2013

It's hard to put the stay we had into words since it wasn't just 5 days in a hotel for us it was an experience that was the highlight of our trip. My gf and I had been bouncing up and down the beaches of Canoa staying in various hotels which were ok. But everytime I walked past the Canoa Beach Hotel I thought to myself "man that looks amazing but probably way out of our price range" so I stayed away. But on Valentines day I thought I'd splurge and take my girl there for at least a night. Walking up the beautiful beach and into the hotel we were greeted by Greg ( the owner and designer) instantly I considered him a friend and we sat at his beautiful beach bar and enjoyed some local drinks. He showed us around the grounds of what I can only explain as the most beautiful pool, swim up bar, cauldron tub, and gardens ive ever see .Greg knew that we weren't made of money and negotiated a great price for us. This in turn made my girlfriend incredibly happy and making this the best Valentines of both of our lives. We ended up staying here for five days in our beautiful room with such a great view, all I can say is it was some of the best days of my life. If you are in Canoa do yourself a favor and stay at this establishment built for great times. The staff Greg has surrounded himself with are second to none, the surf is right outside your door and the seafood kitchen is the best in town! What more do you need. I will be back. Ill never forget everything this place did for us to make sure we had the time of our lives!!

• Stayed: February 2013
3  Thank ChristopherRatz
CanoaBeachHotel, Owner at Canoa Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Thank you so much for that wonderful review.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Greg, the owner of the Canoa Beach Hotel, saved my trip to Ecuador's coast. I had planned to stay in Montañita, about 250km south of Canoa, for the second half of my stay in Ecuador. I didn't like Montañita at all though, it was extremely overcrowded. I found the Canoa Beach Hotel online and was able to book my room directly, which is not possible for most hotels in Ecuador. Greg then helped me figure out what buses I had to take to get there.

Once I got to the hotel, I knew I had found what I had been looking for. The hotel just opened and it looks great. My room was clean, high quality, had a quiet air conditioner with a remote, and a great view. The pool was large for the size of the hotel and wonderful to swim in on a hot day. The bar and restaurant have reasonable prices and good food. Free wifi was good too.

When on the coast of Ecuador, be prepared for bugs. I was not and got eaten alive a night or two. Bugs will get in your room, so prepare yourself for that if you are bothered by them (like I am). This is why I didn't sleep well, the bed was high quality.

Suggestions to make it even better:
- beach volleyball
- partner with a local surf shop to rent boards through the hotel
- optional (rentable?) bug nets for the rooms

Room Tip: If you want a great view of the beach, ask for a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th floor room. There's no elevat...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank erockx
CanoaBeachHotel, Owner at Canoa Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2013

We really appreciate your taking the time to post this great review.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

Beautiful hotel, well designed pool and garden made it very picturesque and relaxing. My daughter and her kids along with my wife and myself stayed for a week and enjoyed every day.
Greg the owner along with Maureen were attentive to all our needs. Breakfasts were wholesome with fresh produce and Greg always came up with a good suggestion for dinner.
Greg even woke up at 6am to give us a hug before we left !!!!!

Trevor & family
Toronto, CANADA

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank TrevorRita D
CanoaBeachHotel, Owner at Canoa Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2013

Thank you for your kind review.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

CBH is the best across the board! Great location, wonderful rooms and the best host anywhere. Greg was terrific and his hospitality was exceptional. Maureen (from my home state of Virginia) was an unexpected treat! I sure hope she is there when I return in 2014. When you visit CBH don't leave without having a mojito. It was the best one I have ever had (probably since the mint was plucked right from the herb garden)! We have shared our pictures and our recommendations of CBH to our family, friends and work colleagues. If you are going to Canoa, please don't think about staying anywhere else.

3  Thank John W
CanoaBeachHotel, Owner at Canoa Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

Thank you so much for your wonderful review of Canoa Beach Hotel. We appreciate your sharing this with others. It’s fantastic that you traveled all the way from Atlanta GA. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

We just left canoa beach hotel this morning and couldnt have been more impressed with the entire experience.The hotel itself was beautifully designed every element well thought out. The owners were incredibly friendly and were more than happy to help with any request. We would recommend this hotel to anyone passing through the canoa area.

1  Thank Thechef_13
CanoaBeachHotel, Owner at Canoa Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

Thank you for your kind review. Please come again.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Unfortunately we only had time for 2 nights at the CBH, we really enjoyed our stay. Greg is the most personable host you will find at a Beach Hotel, helpful and fun, in spanish and English! All of the positive reviews below echo our experience but i didn't see enough about the food and drink. Let's start with the beer! They have their own ice brewery on site! You won't find that at another beach hotel in Ecuador! They sell a stout, an I.P.A. And a Kolsch. I loved the Kolsch, but they are all great. Seafood, off the grill is outstanding. We had derado (Mahi Mahi) last night it was outstanding, and of course as fresh as you can get! Get down here and check it out!!

Room Tip: Go for 3rd floor and above for the best views! Beds are excellent!
2  Thank BDhound

Thank you for the review. The restaurant is just starting up and we are thrilled that you are enjoying it. I too think Greg is a fantastic cook as well as a great host.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Canoa
Saiananda
Palmazul Hotel & Spa
Palmazul Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in San Clemente
Amalur Hostal Restaurante

Been to Canoa Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!