“Way oversold, advisable to avoid”

and 1 more site!
Sundown Beach Hotel
Ranked #2 of 18 Specialty Lodging in Canoa
Reviewed August 25, 2012

My boyfriend and I were quite excited to stay at a quiet beach location, cook for ourselves and enjoy peaceful afternoons and morning Spanish classes. We could not have been more disappointed. Aside from the email contact with the Canadian owner in Quito, the our experience was entirely unprofessional and extremely stressful and uncomfortable.

The classes are awful: the teachers/hostal managers uninterested in anything but your money, saying you're going on a field trip to the market during class hours when in fact they are buying their own groceries.

The place is not nice nor well-located: it's very plain and isolated and not kept up well. It has the most disgustingly unclean kitchen I have ever been in. We had to burn incense inside just to stand being there to prepare salad. Ants crawl over shelves and pots sit on the stove fermenting for hours. It reeks of years of fish and grease. Rooms and plastic tables and chairs outside are very simple and not kept up well. Managers Maria Elena and Juan Carlos are nice but unhelpful and do not display a hospitality attitude. For example, upon arrival we were given one towel and when asked for another were told that we needed to share few days until the laundry was done. Most other travelers we met also felt oversold and many moved into Canoa, the small town a 20 min walk down the beach or a $2 taxi ride to Sundown at night. Also, at the moment there is a lot of construction and the place is hard to find upon arrival. Possibly the only saving grace here is the family's cute wiener dog named Marley.

Hotel Bambu and Hotel Baloo are very nice in Canoa, and we found ourselves walking into town and paying for a taxi every day to escape the place we were paying for. I strongly recommend those instead.

Room Tip: Avoid this place.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Valerie G

Reviewed March 13, 2012

We love our stay at the Sundown. A great place to stay and look at the Pacific Ocean off your porch. Many travellers come to study Spanish here. Very relaxed atmosphere. Learn about an Ecuadorian family and enjoy visiting with fellow travellers while having breakfast and or lunch.
This is a place where some people stay weeks or months and return again and again. Very quiet and just 1 mile walk along the beach into Canoa. Very reasonably priced and remember it is not a 4 star hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank duepplestrasse5-7
Reviewed December 5, 2011

I had the wonderful and indescribable opportunity to stay at the Sundown Inn for Christmas last year. I had been eyeing it for years, and was happy to finally make my wish come true.
The atmosphere was very warm and familial, the sense of community and camaraderie was second to none. I felt as though I was in my own private beach as I enjoyed the surroundings from my hammock, hanging in the balcony of my very clean, big, comfortable room. To be quite honest with y'all, I don't know how such a place, which is obviously run by people who care, can stay afloat with such low prices. The business woman in me immediately saw the gold mine opportunities offered in such place. I mean, we're talking about a private beach after all. The only thing ridiculous about the Sundown Inn was the price...INCREDIBLY LOW for what it offers. I don't understand how a $2, $1, $ 5 charge for commodities that are, by all means, optional could be considered a rip off! C'mon people, if that's too much for anybody, maybe they want to stay home, I bet it will cost them a hell of a lot more. This is a place where anyone can feel comfortable, welcomed and loved. I witnessed the great attention to detail and kindness expressed by the owners to the other guests.

On Christmas eve we had a fire on the beach, where we all gathered to tell jokes, drink and just simply be enveloped by the beauty of nature as we watched the flames from our fire dance to the rhythm of the ocean. Not to mention dinner right before our adventure was a succulent mix of Ecuadorian Christmas fare and seafood for those who chose to pay for it...prawns like you've never seen before...So, yes, it will cost you, but I guarantee you it will never compare to the outrageously exagerated prices of other hostels around the world. Trust me, I've been around the world!

On second thought, the positive outcome of a negative review is that it will keep away those kind of people... More beach, more rooms, more food for those of us who can enjoy and appreciate a quaint, peaceful and beautiful place like the Sundown Inn...

I'm going back for New Year's....Will you be there?

Room Tip: All rooms are good. You can get the ocean rooms on the back if you're planning to stay in your r...
  • Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Mavilo
Reviewed December 1, 2011

My brother and I just spent 10 days in Canoa at the Sundown Inn and Spanish School. Juan Carlos and Maria Elena are parents of two children, and are the hosts of a nice hotel right on the south end of the Canoa Beaches. Because we interacted with the family and other guests during breakfast and lunch as well as a pre-Thanksgiving Barbecue and many games of ping pong it was more than what we expected. It was a special experience to interact with the family including Jaime, Juan's father. And what can I say about our chef, Jenny, and the housekeeper, Elsa. They both laughed, smiled and were so kind to us, who knew so little Spanish. It was a wonderful family Ecuadorian encounter. And of course I almost forgot their cute watch dog, Marly (yes, named after Bob). Oh, Juan Carlos loves rock and roll, so be ready to hear some of his favorites; and I doubt you can beat him in table tennis. There were some good players there. He beat us all!

Whether you study in their Spanish School or just want to be at a very inexpensive hotel ( our room was less than $14 per night) right on the beach, in a great neighborhood, super neighbors, and one can not only see the surf but also hear it 24/7. I don't think the word has got out about this place. We both had comfortable beds, a 2nd floor room with a porch to
the ocean including hammock, wi-fi, breakfast and lunch together for $7 a person. The two concerns I had were addressed immediately. Oh, by the way, a 100' or so south is the Freedom Restaurant owned by Juan Carlos' brother Jaime. Fun atmosphere
and so close.

Room Tip: 2nd floor closest to the ocean arethe best views!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Doug C
Reviewed November 18, 2011

We Stayed for 4 weeks in total, 3 weeks at first then returned for another week.. We really enjoyed our time there, big, clean rooms, with oustanding views! Also some of the best priced accomadation we have found during our travel's.. The kitchen had everything that we needed, plus a large common area with ping pong and tv.. About a 15min walk along the beach from town, so its nice and quiet, away from the hustle of Canoa.. The family that runs the hostel are really nice nd were happy to help with all of our needs.. Shame we had to leave, but it was time to move on..

Room Tip: Ask for upstairs rooms if avaliable.. Better views
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank leigh h
Reviewed August 9, 2011

I have been traveling south america for 3 years and the sundown inn in canoa was by far the best experience I've had. It's one of those places you dream of finding during your travels. I felt more like a family member and than a guest. The food was unbelievable, the room had a hamoc and view of the beach and the location was ideal. It was truly a blessing that I stumbled upon this place and I hope other travelers will be find this blessing as well. Amor y paz para todo

La conexion cosmica

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank cosmic c
Reviewed June 20, 2011

I stayed about 2.5 weeks at the Sundown Beach Hostal (Sundown Inn) and I had the absolute best experience on my 2 month trip so far! The place is incredible with private beachfront and a very friendly family running the hostal. I studied spanish together with Jaime, a very nice man. I definetly learned a lot since the students and I talked a lot of Spanish after class and the family running the hostal weren't late to talk to us either, which also gave very good practice!
Rooms were really nice and hot water and fans were available in every room.
A pingpong table led to competitions including family members and students...

I had a very good time at the Sundown Beach Hostal (Sundown Inn)...

(I feel sorry for the people who had bad experiences, but me and the 7 other people staying there had a great time- I guess even the sun can have temporary dark spots)

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Howa87
Also consider these accommodations in or near Canoa
Saiananda
Amalur Hostal Restaurante
Hotel Rutamar
Hotel Rutamar
#5 of 16 in Canoa

Been to Sundown Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!