“You get what you pay for I guess...”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Baloo

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Canoa
Baloo
Ranked #4 of 16 Specialty Lodging in Canoa
Englewood, Florida
“You get what you pay for I guess...”
Reviewed November 1, 2013

I drove around Canoa a couple of times looking for a place to spend the weekend, this place looked pretty cool, so I stopped in and spoke with the owner Philipp, he gave me a discount on the bamboo cabin # 1 right across from the beach. Pretty basic but I didn't expect much anyway, had a very bad mildew problem and I had to run the fan the whole time to keep from having an allergic reaction, it's also the only place I've stayed in Ecuador that doesn't provide a free breakfast. The bar area is pretty cool and the beer is cheap, it seams to be a gathering place for expats, especially on Saturday's as that is "steak" night, I had a ribeye that turned out to be a sirloin, but it was ok I guess. He has surf boards for rent, and I surfed there for the first time. It's away from the crowd and noise except for the drunks that happen by at 2am..I'm writing this from my balcony at the hotel I'm staying at in Montanita, if I knew then what I know now, I would have skipped Canoa all together and came straight here.

Room Tip: doubt there is one..
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Hotel Baloo Is a cool hotel across from the Pacific ocean in Canoa. Is it a bungalow type of hotel with great food and drinks. Phillip the owner has been in this area a long time and know all the area of interest well. Breakfast is good and they serve real coffee.

Room Tip: This hotel is down the road from the surfing night life. Area is quiet at night. Well lite street an...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We stayed here for around 9 nights both camping and in one of the double rooms. Good price ($5 for camping pp) and a great bar area with cheap beers and good wifi.
Its a bit out of town on the seaside road but that worked for us, NO noise easy to stroll down to the beach about 10m from the front door. BBQ night was a HUGE piece of t-bone and there are plenty of hammocks to work off the indulgence the next day!
Breakfast was great and the kitchen staff great.
Would have gotten 5 stars but my phone was stolen while there (there are some hot fingers about!) My fault for trusting.....

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Redondo Beach, California, United States
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We have been two Canoa twice this year and on our second trip we stayed at Baloo and were very happy with our decision. Baloo is on the South end of town, away from the thumping music and sounds on Friday and Saturday nights. We stayed in a cabin at the back of the property which had a double bed and a private bathroom for $24/night ($12/per person). The cabin was simple but clean, my husband particularly liked that each room comes with drinking water. We both enjoyed the good water pressure and hot running water, which is hard to come by in Canoa. There is a rotunda where there are several hammocks to use and enjoyed and a common area with a bar/restaurant and Wifi. If you love to read, you can borrow books and even exchange one if you'd like from the hotel's extensive collection. The location is terrific, right across from the beach. It couldn't be more perfect. For what we paid a night, we were very satisfied with the accommodations that Baloo provided us.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Baloo can feel like a home away from home. I went there on two separate trips and stayed for a few weeks both times. Now that i am back in NZ i still dream of my little cabina oasis in baloo and Phil the owner is an absolute sweetheart. The staff are also friendly and reliable and the breakfast salad is the best! If you want to have a holiday from your holiday - go to baloo!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Golden, Colorado
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Stayed here for the easter weekend in a private room with shared bath. Paid $22/night for a fan room (we were a couple). Not sure if this rate was higher since it was Easter weekend. Camping was $5/person with your own equipment.

The good things
1. Located at the quiet end of town but still really close to everything.
2. Beach right across the street.
3. Nice, chill places to hang out: tables, hammocks, restauarant.
4. Decent food, I had the friend shrimp lunch for $7 and it was pretty good.
5. Different lodging options: camping, private rooms. cabins.

The bad
1. During my 3 night stay, they never cleaned our room, no sweeping. The area grounds are all sand so you can´t really help but get sand in your room.
2. The shared bathroom was rarely cleaned as well and it was always full of sand and the garbage overflowing.
3. They didn´t want you to bring in your own alcohol but the bar/restaurant would close by like 8pm, so that rule was obviously broken.
4. The owner was so so, he seemed to be more interested in laying on the sofa and reading a book then being social and helpful.

overall, it was an okay stay. There is potential for this place to be really nice with a little more cleaning and effort by the staff.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Quito, Ecuador
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed in one of the cabanas right by the street. Pretty clean and quiet. Price is a little high compared to the rest of the hostels in Canoa.

I had a problem with the parking. The parking lot is always locked, meaning an employee always helps people exit and instructs them where to park upon arrival. I had a business appointment one day in the nearby town of Bahia. When i went to leave my car was blocked in by another client. The employee was helpful in trying to find the owners, but we had no luck. After waiting an hour I told him I needed to go and now had to take a taxi which would cost about $20 round trip. I asked him to inform the owner i expect to be reimbursed for the expense.

In the end I only asked for half of the fare back, which was $9. The owner did not even apologize for the inconvenience. He just flat out said it was not his problem and was completely disinterested. He said it was the other guest's fault, even though his staff instructs where to park.

With my bar/food bill I spent $142 over the weekend, and he could not even offer me $9 back.

I visit Canoa about 4 times a year, and I would have stayed there again if his attitude was different.

Many hostels to choose from offering better value and service in Canoa.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple