“Wonderful Stay”

Ranked #1 of 3 Casablanca B&B and Inns
guildford
“Wonderful Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2014

A delightful hotel and restaurant run by friendly and helpful staff who are proud of the hotel,restaurant and wines.
Quite simply it was a delight in every way.Breakfasts and diner were first class and the service was excellent.
We stayed for three nights last week and enjoyed every minute,especially the wines of which the sauvignon blanc and syrah were the pick of the bunch.
Well done to all.

1 Thank hallbower

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Calgary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014

As I've said in other reviews, my husband and I have been lucky enough to travel all over the world and stay in all kinds of hotels. I'm a clean freak and therefore very picky about accommodations! What others might call a "5", I'm likely to call a "3". However, this hotel fully deserves a 5 star rating!

The hotel property, set near the Matetic vineyards, is absolutely gorgeous, with lovely, well-maintained gardens, a circular public restaurant with large windows overlooking a small lake complete with white geese, a beautiful outdoor pool and spacious lounging area, and outdoor fire pits for the evening. The buildings are well-maintained colonial style, and the interior of the rooms I saw carry on that theme in terms of furnishings. The beds are huge and very soft and comfy! The bathrooms are spacious and functional, though a few of our friends also staying at the hotel commented that the showers could use some CLR to clean up the hard water clogging some of the shower heads (a few had issues with the shower heads spraying water all over the room and then not draining properly).

The food was excellent and very plentiful, as was the wine! The service was also just terrific, including by Adrian and James, our waiters. A few of the best dining experiences we've ever had!

We also took a horseback riding excursion through the vineyards with an excellent guide whose name escapes me at the moment, and a nice wine-tasting tour at the winery. Matetic wines are excellent!

I would definitely recommend this property, and would go back any day.

Room Tip: I saw only the rooms on the "red" wine side. They all appeared to be very similar in term...
2 Thank HarvDeanna
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

My husband and I spent our last night in Chile at La Casona. The grounds are beautiful and the house itself is spectacular. Each room is decorated differently and named for a different wine varietal. The rooms are decorated a la Ritz Carlton, very welcoming and comfortable accommodations. The dinner was excellent - dining in the home's dining room with other hotel guests but felt as though we were the only ones dining and the wines served, all from Matetic. We awoke to a wonderful, personalized breakfast in the dining room, played pool in the family room and took a 2 hour bike ride through the Matetic property up to the winery. Our tour ended with a lovely lunch on the Casona property and the food was wonderful - numerous small plates (tapas style) and wines to match. It was a wonderful way to end our trip to Chile. Also close to Valeparaiso (about 45min distance) if you want to see a little bit of the coast.

Room Tip: All rooms are impeccably decorated with HUGE bathrooms
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Fao2001
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

I spent 2 nights at La Casona in the 'Syrah' room, and it was blissful. After a month of hectic travelling around Patagonia, it was the perfect way to unwind and soak up some sun before the long journey home.
The rooms were spacious and beautifully furnished with views across the vineyards. The food was amazing and the wines fantastic (I'm now converted to everything Chilean for wine!) and the bed was really comfortable!
One morning was spent horse-back riding around the extensive grounds with Ramón, who was the perfect host and looked after us really well.
He also arranged a tasting and a visit to the most unusual and innovative winery, and helped make my stay relaxed and comfortable!
All the staff were extremely helpful.
I would recommend La Casona as a great place to unwind for a few days!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank SusieRoo B
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

We stayed at La Casona for a night during our time in Chilean wine country and i couldn't say better things about our stay! The property is absolutely stunning, the rooms are cozy, the service was excellent and the food was great!

We stayed in the Malbec room which is at the end of the building closest to the pool - the room was great, private, and had a lovely patio where we had our breakfast. And the beds are so comfortable! I never wanted to get out!

We also enjoyed the pool table in the main building and definitely get a Pisco Sour here! It was delicious.

I highly recommend this place for a stay in Chilean Wine Country - it was wonderful!

Room Tip: Malbec was wonderful!
1 Thank jrptravels
Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

Excellent place to stay and relax.The rooms very comfortable,the service excellent and the wine very good.Interesting the visit to the cellars of the property.when we stayed the restaurant was small but cozy and the food very good with a limited selection ,but of excellent quality.I have seen a bigger restaurant but maybe closed for the time we were there.Nice location between Vina del Mar and Santiago.

Room Tip: All very nice the ones at the corner better located
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

I had been at Viña Matetic on January 2011 and really liked the place. This time I brought my wife Linda with me and we both loved our stay.

The Casona, a remodeled colonial-style Chilean country house, is simply stunningly beautiful. I was born in Chile, and lived many years in the country side, and can tell that this place has been restored with painstaking attention to details so as to capture the essence of the colonial style of times gone by.

Our room, the Malbec room, was very nice and cozy. We spent a few hours around and in the pool, with only a few other guest sharing the place with us.

Dinner was fine and Adrian, our waiter, went out of his way (he even spoke in french to my wife!) to make us feel welcomed. I was delighted to see that they had remembered to prepare a gluten-free, diary-free meal for my wife as I had asked when I made the reservations. Breakfast the next day was a simple buffet-style thing but well executed and tasty.

Later on we had a tour to the winery where we tasted 4 of their wines. Our guide, Jocelyne, was very pleasant, knowledgeable and patient with me, as I tend to ask quite a few questions about wines and wine-making.

All in all a very pleasant stay, a little bit pricey but worthwhile, that I would definitely recommend to anyone one who likes wine country.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Casablanca
Hotel Casablanca,Spa & Wine
#1 of 3 in Casablanca
Cinque Colori
Cinque Colori
#1 of 7 in Algarrobo

Been to Hotel La Casona de Vina Matetic? Share your experiences!