“Prententious”

Farleigh Road Farm Shop
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Scenic view, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Gold award winning farm shop cafe serving breakfast, lunch and afternoon tea. Outside seating and play area.
Somerset
“Prententious”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

Visited here on a Friday lunch time - it was fairly busy but the waitress attended to us quite quickly. Possibly too quickly, as we hadn't really studied the menu, However she did say that she would come back in a few minutes and was true to her word. The food was expensive for what we got - the quality of the main dishes couldn't be faulted - I had the crab cakes, my friend had soup.
However the desserts were disappointing - very poor value. Our total bill for 2 coffees, a bowl of soup, crab cakes, a bowl of chips and 2 pumpkin pie (?) actually tart was just under £30. For that price I could have gone to a country pub which would have been warmer and cheaper and probably more food on my plate.
The farm shop was also a little disappointing, a small amount of vegetables and a lot of everything else - Penleigh Butchers always provides good quality meat at reasonable prices, however I can get their produce nearer to home.
The pro's - nice and clean, staff were on the ball regarding keeping the place clean. Polite and efficient waiting and kitchen staff, ample parking and a nice outside area (when the weather is suitable)
The cons - expensive, not particularly warm, actual farm shop not particularly well stocked.

Would I go back? I wouldn't make a special journey, but would call in if I was passing.
Would I recommend it to others? possibly if they were looking for a more upmarket farm shop restaurant.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank gizmo2brian

“AWFUL RUDE STAFF MEMBERS”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

I recently went here for a coffee with my family and dog. We looked thoroughly for signs that mention dogs being allowed and found none. We walked through the farm shop into the cafe area, intending to go outside, not one staff member asked about the dog. We were on our way outside and a rude staff member came over and in a patronising manner told us dogs were not allowed and it was clearly stated. It wasn't, otherwise the dog would not have been brought in. We went to walk outside the double doors that lead from the cafe to the garden and she wanted us to walk all the way through the shop again to go outside instead. Of course we refused. I'm just appalled at how rude the staff were and ill mannered to their customers. It's not the fact that the dog wasn't allowed. It was the delivery of making us aware the dog wasn't allowed. It's safe to say I will never go there again.

Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food, great for families”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

Deck so you can see your kids while you drink your tea, the best roast I've ever had outside of our family kitchen and a lovely farm shop, with a maize maze to top it all off. Very very happy we found this place :-)

• Visited September 2012
Bath, United Kingdom
“Good but no cheap”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

I go here regularly, as it is good if you have kids (especially if the weather is nice and you can despatch them outside to the play area). I would not come here especially for the food or the shopping on their own but the combined offering is good, and worth the short trip for us.

It is not a budget option - in effect you are paying for the all the extras, just not being overtly charged for them!

• Visited September 2012
Bath, United Kingdom
“A brilliant and unpretentious”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2012

Woody's has a great selction of products and serves up some great food too. This is a wonderful place to come with children as it has an excellent play/picnic area outside. The shop has some yummy things and the butchers has a great selection of meet and often with good offers on.

Visited June 2012