“Rooms nice but service and food terrible.”
Review of The George Inn

The George Inn
Reviewed July 28, 2012

As my title says the rooms are nice but the food & service are terrible.

My wine was warm & served in he wrong glass.
Half the vegertarian menu was off, leaving nothing.
Never asked how I would like my meat cooked.
Veg looked liked it had been kept under a heat lamp for ten mins.
Staff relaxing in the bar while the bar was still trading.
Un knowledgable staff about the history of the hotel.
No restraunt manager on duty only the assistant manager.

Could be great but it needs a truly great chef and leadership team.

Don't be fooled by the good reviews.

1  Thank Eddie A

Reviewed July 16, 2012

We stayed for one night and once we stepped inside the door, it was like stepping back in time. We were attending a Wedding all day and evening in the area, so did not spend that much time in the George Inn, unfortunately, but our room was amazing and the facilities and provisions supplied were great. The breakfast was ok, although the service not great. The tea arrived but we were not supplied with milk, the toast arrived but we were not supplied with butter and then the breakfast arrived and we had no sauces. I therefore had to ask on three separate occasions for these items, not great considering the breakfast room was quiet. Anyway that being said, the surroundings were so nice, we plan to go again but try dinner this time also.

1  Thank MandyD150
Reviewed July 10, 2012

We Stayed at The George for 2 nights mainly because we have a set of place mats with English Pubs which we have been using for the last 37 years, in South Africa. We have on previous trips spent time in and around Bath & like the area. Not their fault that it rained all the time. It cannot be easy keeping up a 700 year Inn and still retain the character, but they have done just that. We stayed in the Sedgemoor Room, accessed by a winding steep staircase. There was a 4poster bed, very comfortable, and the bathroom had a 'hand' shower with no hook to put in on so one could not shower. That was the only disappointment. The floor was very uneven,dipping quite significantly in the middle, probably the original floor, and we had 2 delightful windows with window seats. Staff were friendly and if the service was not perhaps what we were used to it did nothing to detract from the overall charm of the Inn.

Room Tip: Do not stay in either the Sedgemoor or the other room adjacent unless you are fit enough to climb th...
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Stayed 24th March 2012 we were a party of ten made up of family ranging in ages from 21 to 70 ish.We arrived on the Saturday lunch time the location was so nice we decided to stay for lunch before heading into Bath for the afternoon. Chris and his lovely wife Lenka had just started at the Inn that week and were amazing. They and all the other staff were fab made our stay really special. The rooms were amazing and super clean and the food was really good, we had a special set menu that evening which was put together for us and took into account the my budget. Breakfast was brilliant too and we were made to feel really special and nothing was too much. I would highly recomend the George Inn and we will be back for sure, it is a fantastic building and well worth a visit !

Room Tip: They are all nice I booked 6 rooms and I cant fault any off them, We were at the front one the road...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 30, 2012

Wow, what can one say, what a wonderful historical 700 year Inn, tucked away in Noron St Phillip, 6 miles from Bath.
We were amazed at the building the moment I saw it, on the website, and even more impressive once we got there.
We were greated by three lovely staff, Adam the barman, whos product knowledge of ale and sprits are excelent (great whisky) then by lovely Leslie with a great welcoming smile (one of the managers/team leader, they were extremely busy when got there, but still had time to meet and greet, and also Saffon, not sure what her title is, but very passinate about the history of the building, and what has happened within the 700 years of the building being there.
Once checked in and shown to our room The Samual Pepys Room, was just mavulous, with the orignal table and four poster bed which Samual Pepys used, was great, it was cleaned everyday, by a lovely claener.
Time for for the evening meal, and I my god we were not disappointed, Steven the Chef really knows how to cook, never disappointed once while we were there.
Day three met Chris the over all manager, and what a great guy, who is so professional and knows what he wants, he is also a excellent chef, but great manager, customer care was excellent and could't done enough (Chris you know what I mean)
I could go on, but all I know my hubby and I will be back,
we will highly recommend you, and haven't stopped talking about the hotel and staff since we got back.
Well done guys, keep the standard, All the best to Chris and Lanica (wife, sorry rubbish at spelling), best of luck in the next few months
Lesley and Steven, hope to hear you get your own hotel/pub sometime, if you do let us know
Adam, and girlfriend best of luck for your future plans, hope the Ball went ok
Saffron, don't give up on the history of this place.
All I say, is what ever your dream is, for fill it, and go for it
But must of all be happy
Love from Sarah (Sass) and John

Room Tip: All rooms have history to them, but we loved this room, nice and airy
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sarah m
Reviewed April 8, 2012

At first glance this place is very impressive, just the kind of cosy, quaint accomodation we were looking for. The building itself was full of character and the room finished to a good standard which well suited our purpose of a quiet weekend away. Staff were prompt to greet us with a polite welcome ...but it ended there with a distinct lack of information fairly pinnacle to our stay. There was no information booklet in the room and no information given on arrival of breakfast times/location. This meant we were left finding a locked building at 8am and then on another attempt at 8.30am, an empty room set for breakfast with no one about to serve it!? Eventually we were greeted, and the breakfast that followed left us with no complaints. Management did appologise for the lack of service and informed us of correct times etc for the duration of our stay.
Evening meals were of a good standard, served in medievil surroundings with big fire places which created a cosy atmosphere. Again service did taint the overall experience slighty by generally being unattentive and ignoring our dessert requests!! However, in an attempt to redeem themselves on hearing of our planned early departure, a breakfast hamper was provided the evening before to ensure we were well set up for our journey home.
Overall, our experience at the George Inn was not all bad, it had lived up to expectations with location and the building itself but would have benefitted from more organisation and better service.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank vnes1005
Reviewed March 9, 2012

This is the kind of building that makes your jaw drop as soon as you enter. Fabulous character, excellent accomodation, very clean and tidy, great food and really friendly and helpful staff. 20 minutes from Bath (where I was working) I found staying at The George such an experience that I booked for another night just to soak up a bit more of the experience and history of the place.
The whole place reeks of character from the huge fireplaces in the bar and lounge areas to the furnishings in the bedroom and the lovely view I had from my room (Abbot). This is a building that has obviously been lovingly restored and thank goodness for that. A real gem.
Finally I'd just like to say a big thank you to the staff for the warm welcome and excellent service they provided during my two nights there, I really was made to feel at home from the minute I stepped through the door. I would highly recommend this place to anybody whether it be as a stop over or a longer break.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
#2 of 34 in Bath
Aquae Sulis Hotel
Aquae Sulis Hotel
#17 of 156 in Bath

Been to The George Inn? Share your experiences!