See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed March 23, 2016

The room with private bath is good and can be adjusted the water temperature as you like. All mini bar items are free and replenish daily. The hotel staffs are nice and try the best to communicate with us in English.

Room tip: the room with private bath
Date of stay: February 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 6, 2016

We stayed at this hotel during our tour of Tohoku, Japan.

Check-in was smooth without any problems.

The room was a Japanese-style room with a low table and two chairs placed at the centre. The room, bathroom and toilet were quite small, typical of most Japanese-style rooms.

After putting down my suitcase, I changed into a yukata and went down to the onsen. The onsen was quite big. After soaking in the warm water for about ten minutes, I took a shower and went to dinner.

Dinner was a traditional multi-course Japanese dinner (kaiseki). The food was delicious especially the beef served on a hot plate, the grilled chicken with glutinous rice, and the tuna sashimi. The dessert, sweet ice jelly with fruits, was refreshing.

Since there was no Internet access in the room, I went to the hotel lobby to read my emails using the hotel lobby’s wireless network.

When I went back to the room, the hotel staff had already moved the low table to one side of the room and laid out the futon (Japanese mattress). The futon was comfortable and I slept well.

The next morning, I had breakfast at the breakfast room. Breakfast was buffet with Japanese and Western dishes. The Japanese dishes were quite tasty.

Service was attentive. Although most of the staff did not understand English and I could only say a couple of words in Japanese, I had no problems communicating with them.

I enjoyed my one night stay at Takinoyu and will definitely stay here again the next time I am in Tendo.

Date of stay: February 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank Nelumbo-Nucifera
Reviewed November 16, 2015

When we came here by bus I was expecting to have a kind of capsule hotel, nothing further from true, hotel is very nice and large!, rooms are huge, Japanese style, my only issue was about smokers room, I think there is no smoking free room at least in my floor, maybe Im wrong but company paid for and I knew accomodations where limited, but honestly was bearable. wifi is free but poor.

Date of stay: November 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed August 25, 2015

Takinoyu hotel is one of the best onsen hotels in Tendo, yamagata. Very close to the main street and you could easily got a midnight snack in a nearby convenience store in this quiet neighborhood.
I did my morning jogging everyday, then jumped into their decent onsens: one indoor, one outdoor. The indoor onsen could fit over 20 peoples, while maximum occupancy is 10.
everyday, from 3:00pm -7:00pm, front desk will offer eggs, you could cook them in a designated onsen(hot water well) after your afternoon spa.
last but the least, the garden is very beautiful with a skillfully designed koi pond.

Date of stay: August 2015
1  Thank bestfoodintown365
Reviewed November 29, 2008

My husband and I spent nine days in Japan, recently. We booked this hotel in the Yamagata prefecture, in order to stay in a Japanese hotel - and also, to sightsee in Yamadera. We booked through Japanese Guest Houses. On our way from Sendai on the train, it began snowing very seriously ... and Yamadera was inaccessible so we continued on to Yamagata, and then, to Tendo, to the Takinoyu Hotel. Emerging from snow and slush, cold and a bit apprehensive, we arrived at the hotel, and entered an elegant, lovely and absolutely welcoming environment. Although we were the only westerners at this hotel, and the staff didn't speak much english, we were greeted with great kindness (and with hot tea, and a little dessert). The hotel itself seemed new; the baths were fabulous (inside and outdoors) and the meals (dinner and breakfast) were elegant, regionally representative of the best food available, and delicious. Our room was beautiful. This hotel was not expensive for the value - I dream of going back someday.

Date of stay: November 2008
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank Maryjudy