“Our best stay in Japan” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Blue Sky Guesthouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tanabe
Blue Sky Guesthouse
Ranked #1 of 29 B&Bs / Inns in Tanabe
London, United Kingdom
“Our best stay in Japan”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012

The guesthouse is hidden at a beautiful valley, which is not easy to find. It is surrounded by forest - so quiet that you can only hear the sound of stream passing by.

The owner is helpful and very friendly. He gave us the clear and detailed decriptions on the onsens nearby, despite the fact that we speak no Japanese, and gave us great recommendation on the route we should visit.

The facilities of the guesthouse is top notched - washing machine, big kitchen and spacious reading corner with wealthy collections of traveling information.

It is 10 out of 10!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Louie079
aozoragh, オーナー at Blue Sky Guesthouse, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Thank you very much for your review!!
And we are very glad if we could help you during your stay.
Your comment, "10 out of 10", is very honor for us! We keep on offering pleasant stay to every guests!!
Thanks again for staying with us!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Haifa, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012

We just came back from our trip to Japan,and wish to share an exceptional experience we had while staying for 5 days at Naoya's guest house.On top of the excellent room,facilities,breakfast at it's best ,we enjoyed a lot the jenerosity of the owner Naoya,who did the outmost to provide us with tips,information etc,.That has a special value when visiting the area of Kumano Kodo,where information of any kind in English is rare,yet the people around try to help as much as they can.We would recommend any traveller who wish to enjoy a warm heart and jeneros Japaneese hospitality to stay at this guesthouse.For us it deffently was one of the highlight of our trip.

Raya& Arie, Israel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Raya T
aozoragh, オーナー at Blue Sky Guesthouse, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Raya san, Arie san,
Thank you so much for your review and having stayed with us!!
And Thanks again we could have spent funny time with you!!
It is our best pleasure you have enjoyed the days in Kumano area. The people in Kumano knows they should help the guests as they can. It's the KUMANO WAY!!
We remember the days with you and we really hope we'll see you again.
Take care of yourselves. Thank you!!
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

Place looked great on website, an correspondence was organized and friendly. I arrived in the morning to drop off my bag, it was pouring rain, the guy seemed annoyed instead of the least bit welcoming, and clearly wanted me to leave immediately. I came back at quarter to three, slightly scared he wouldn't let me in because he had said checkin was at 3, and had been so unfriendly in the morning. it had been POURING all day, I was in raingear but soaked and freezing. Again he seemed annoyed, and wanted me to check in and pay in advance before getting out of my dripping wet clothes and warming up enough to be able to hold a pen. I pleaded to have five minutes to indeed dry off, and he begrudgingly allowed this.
Room was nice and clean.

• Stayed October 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Kurigohan
aozoragh, オーナー at Blue Sky Guesthouse, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Thank you so much for your stay and review.

In the beginning, I apologize you I couldn't offer the satisfied stay to you.
And I'm very sorry if I seemed annoyed when you dropped your luggage in the morning, as I wasn't annoyed at all. We are very happy to help guests with their luggage, so that they can walk the Kumano Kodo enjoyably. Maybe there was a cultural difference in my poster and body language that relayed a misinterpreted message. I am very sorry about this. I am trying hard to understand visitors from other countries as best as I can, but it seems I still need more study.

I would like to respond and explain about your complaint.
About in the afternoon, your check-in, It seems something a little different from my memory.

Indeed, as we said to you by e-mail, our check-in time is from 3p.m. because we have to ready our guesthouse for keeping the clean and comfortable condition. I run this guesthouse by myself so it takes time to clean the rooms, buy food, prepare meals, etc. So this is why check-in is at 15:00. Just to let you know, 15:00 is a very common check-in time for accommodations across Japan.
Of course, it was rainy and we were trying to be ready as early as we can.
And you visited at 2:45 and I opened the entrance and front desk already and showed you to a room...? Letting you come in before the official check-in time because we were trying to help you the best we could.

Generally I ask all guests to fill the registration card when they arrive. It's the ordinary procedure.
I saw you were wet and seemed to feel cold, I showed you the guestroom first. I hope you understand that is the rare case, and I was doing my best to make you feel comfortable.
After you were back to the front desk, I asked the payment of your stay. That was what I can do everything for you... Please understand that everyone that visits our guesthouse is asked to fill in the register and make payment when they check-in. This way they can be free to relax and do what they please in the guesthouse. This is why we do everything at check-in time.

Anyway, I feel very sorry you were not satisfied with the service. We try very hard to make everyone feel welcome and meet their needs. But sometimes the weather conditions are not the best and this is hard for us to control. Once again we are very sorry that you were not satisfied and we will try to do better.

Once again, thank you again for staying with us and your comments.

I sincerely hope that you had a good finish to your trip.

Naoya Yamamoto
Paris, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

Blue sky Guesthouse is not only very convenient (one of only 2 hotels in Hongu), it is also a great place to stay. Rooms have the best of japanese hospitality (tatami floors, balcony,...) and of occidental privacy (very nice bathroom en suite). The owner is very helpful and caring (he knows the area very well, including bus and train routes and times, and seems to want people to enjoy their stay very much). There is no restaurant (and none for dinner in Hongu itself) but a very nice kitchen and dining area.
I spent 2 nights there in august 2012 and would love to go again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for having stayed at our guesthouse!
And I'm very sorry for late response...

How was your trip of Japan and Hongu? I suppose it was hot, humid and peak season, it might be hard journey... But I hope your trip was memorable one!
It was great pleasure for us if you could spend a relux time. We are looking forward to seeing you again!!
Thank you!
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

We stayed here for four days and enjoyed every single one of it. Hongu is a quiet village with very friendly people and a lot of possibilities for hiking.
The blue sky guesthouse is a great place to stay. We had a beautifull room with our own balcony, and our own bathroom. Everything was clean and comfortable and the owner is very friendly, helpfull and caring!
The breakfast was fantastic - almost a full meal - which changed every day!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
aozoragh, オーナー at Blue Sky Guesthouse, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Thank you very much for staing with us and sharing happy time!!
I worried that you had to go to outside of entrance many times....

I'm very happy you could spend good time in Hongu area and our guesthouse.
As you said, person living this area welcomes the guests from everywhere!

We are waiting that we will see you again!!
Thank you for your review and encouraging us!!
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

We stayed here for one night after walking Kumano Kodo. Thanks to the English signs leading the way from the main road, we found it easily without a map or much daylight left.

Being exhausted, we were very grateful that the owner cooked us beef and noodles after all the restaurants were closed. In Hongu, not much seems to be happening after 17-18:00, so this was excellent. I think this service was available until 20:30. (There's also a kitchen for making your own food if you prefer.) There's also a vending machine to get you that well-deserved beer or soda after the hike.

Rooms are recently refurbished, and the futon comfortable enough to get a good night's sleep. Wouldn't have minded staying here for another day just to relax. Easily recommendable!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your feedback and recommend!
And I'm sorry for late reply...

We are very glad that you could refresh after long walking.
Unfortunately, the restaurants around here close early and I'm worrying the guests may have some inconveniences. It was good we could help you about dinner.
(For next guests...the order of light meal is required in advance. Please tell us by e-mail and so on...)

We are looking forward to seeing you again! Thank you!
Newcastle, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

I stayed at the Blue Sky Guesthouse in July 2012 with my husband and a friend. We had a great stay. The owner was very accomodating, pointing out the restaurants in town and the supermarkets to buy food. He also arranged a day of kayaking for us at the last minute (due to our indecisiveness). The Guesthouse is a short walk from the main street, set in a pretty, spacious garden. All the rooms are lovely, traditional Japanese rooms and are very well appointed. The breakfast was delicious. Overall, we had a great stay and would have liked to stay longer to see all the sights of Hongu and the surrouding areas.

Room Tip: The room at the end of the Guesthouse has two outlooks onto the garden.