All reviews mixed gender top floor both breakfast and dinner outdoor bath the river riverside kimono forest shrine meals guests ryokan onsen baths trail
Reviewed January 1, 2018

Taking a 90 minute bus ride from Kii Katsurra, we passed by some of the most scenic areas of Wakayama in the kumano river region. We had to cancel our reservation in the hotel down the street which we had booked as the service at front desk was unsatisfactory and the room was outdated. We asked to speak to the manager and he was nice enough to cancel our reservation and helped us book a room at Kawayu Midoriya.
Upon arrival at Midoriya, we were shown to a room on the top floor, we were amazed how spacious and well maintained the room was given the age of this ryokan. The view looking out to tree lined hill and Kumano river was fantastic and unforgettable. Room was spotless; snacks and tea awaited us. All good to spend a day near the gorgeous river.
Our meals both breakfast and dinner were ok. We have seen better meals for Ryokan in this category. Beef was tough and grilled fish was dry. The outdoor onsen adjacent to the river was the exciting feature of this stay for us and it was fun and exciting. They provided onsen dresses for lady guests as the outdoor river front onsen was for both genders. It was great to be able to take an evening bath under the moonlight with my family.
Check out was cruel at 10am. Honestly, it was just too rush in the morning after getting up for breakfast at 7:30am and a morning bath afterward. We heard warning siren and when we rushed out of our door at 10am, the 4 people cleaning crew was already standing waiting next to our door. WAIT.... this suppose to be a ryokan with 5 star service and price and guests had to rush out at 10 am to meet the hotel cleaning schedules? Not exactly hospitable IMHO.
Anyway, our stay in the ryokan was enjoyable even though there is room for improvement both in food quality and check out time. We took the free hotel shuttle to Kumano shrine and our journey continues...

Stayed: December 2017
2  Thank EELSM
Reviewed November 4, 2017

This resort provided very excellent service during our stay. The onsens and water are top notch. I had special dietary requests and the staff went above and beyond to accommodate me. Also, the food was excellent quality for dinner and breakfast. I would highly recommend this resort if doing Komodo Kodo. The rooms were very spacious and staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: October 2017, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dfuoco75
Reviewed October 27, 2017

Stayed Oct 9 & 10 while doing Kumano Kodo. The room was pleasant, the outdoor bath was lovely, the food was great. The best part was the staff, several of whom spoke some English. They went out of their way to offer help and support (I was traveling alone).

Room Tip: Great view of the river--I think most rooms do.
  • Stayed: October 2017, traveled solo
Reviewed June 24, 2017

- Nice outdoor bath by the river, mixed in the night which suited me and my fiancee (who was wearing a traditional type of Kimono to be worn inside the Onsen).
- Very helpful staff
- As with a lot of other Onsen places, it had slightly outdated facilities but this added to its charme.
- It was very quiet but possibly due to few guests as there was low season. This however suited me as I got two good nights of sleep.
- I was also running in the surrounding back streets (towards Mt. Atago), which was good as there was virtually no traffic.

Overall I had a very good experience and I would have liked to stay a little bit more.

• Stayed: June 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank emu901
Reviewed April 14, 2017 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights whilst completing the Kumano Kodo pilgrimage trail. The staff from the moment you arrive are unbelievable and can't do enough for you. The rooms are typical Japanese style and our room 802 on top floor had great views of the river.

The food although mainly Japanese style is very good. The reception staff will do anything from arranging shuttle bus to take us to start of walk to getting us extra pillows.

We couldn't praise this hotel enough.

Stayed: April 2017, traveled as a couple