“Amazing garden and excellent collection of twentieth century art”

Adachi Museum of Art
Ranked #1 of 28 things to do in Yasugi
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed November 21, 2013

I don't think there is a better garden in Japan with so many different aspects? the garden uses the Capability Brown borrowed landscape and the backdrop of the exquisite plantings, the carefully tended gravel are the mountains and the waterfalls. The art collection is discrete from the garden and although I am not an expert, I really enjoyed the works! showing so many different aspects of Japanese landscapes and culture? I visited with a twenty two month old grandson who seemed to enjoy the Pond garden more than anything because he is obsessed with fish. the restaurant is very elegant although the food choices were limited but with a garden like that who can complain!

Reviewed August 20, 2013

We visited on a rainy Monday in late November as a day trip from Kurashiki. We had a JR pass which covered the 2 hour(each way ) train trip to Yasugi where we caught the shuttle bus to the museum.The train trip itself was quite interesting, through rainy wooded hills showing autumn colours.

The garden is really exquisitely beautiful.It was raining for part of our visit and this added a different atmosphere.Although is is mostly viewed from indoors, there are small areas where you can go outside.

I also very much enjoyed the artwork, in particular the humourous brightly coloured paintings for children by Hayashi Yoshio and Suzuki Toshio.

We had a set lunch at a small restaurant very close by.We arrived there just after a large tour group had left.By the time we went to the museum after lunch, it wasn't crowded.

I highly recommend this museum.It is a very worthwhile day trip.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Founded in 1980 as a way for Adachi Zenko to combine his love of art with garden design. The art was beautiful though honestly there are larger and more important museums for Japanese art. The star here is the garden. It was post card perfect and absolutely spectacular. Everything from waterfalls to Koi ponds. It has won the award for best garden since 2003.
There is a museum shop along with stores selling local foods.
There was also a soba shop in the parking lot of the museum that was extraordinary. I don't recall the name but it really should not be hard to find since it is the only one. Quite small though with a rapid turnover. The cold soba was superior to the warm version of such.

1  Thank RjessMMM
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I travelled to the Adachi museum from Matsue city centre using the JR rail which was easy to navigate as the station names are clearly marked and in English. At the station I pretty much got onto the free shuttle bus on arrival. A short ride is all it takes to get to the museum. Once there proceed through the reception area and head along the route which is clearly signposted and will lead you through the entire museum, the best vantage spots for the garden and also the collection of art housed by the museum.
I would have given this attraction a higher score as the garden is 11/10 but the fact that only the titles of the artwork is in English and the explanation and history of the artists is only in Japanese brought the score down. Considering that this is an internationally reknown attraction, is clearly very well looked after and well planned I find this strange.
Another thing.... if you intend to catch the free shuttle back then make sure you take a card which can be found at reception, for the time you intend to return. I did not know this until I saw everyone else getting onto the bus having them. I ran back and got one. Fortunately it was not a busy time and I managed to get a seat, perhaps at another time I would not have been so lucky. I guess the little speech the driver gave before dropping us off informed passengers of this, but again, these instructions were only given in Japanese.
Be sure to visit the Adachi Museum the garden is really spectacular. I am not a huge fan of Japanese painting but the collection is considerable, I also understand it is notable, so if youre into Japanese art then you are bound to be satisfied here too.

4  Thank Terry E
Reviewed June 4, 2013

This museum has very beautiful Japanese garden, which is ranked as number 1 from 2002 to 2012 in the Journal of Japanese Gardening.