“A garden of unbelievable beauty”

Adachi Museum of Art
Ranked #1 of 21 things to do in Yasugi
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I travelled to the Adachi museum from Matsue city centre using the JR rail which was easy to navigate as the station names are clearly marked and in English. At the station I pretty much got onto the free shuttle bus on arrival. A short ride is all it takes to get to the museum. Once there proceed through the reception area and head along the route which is clearly signposted and will lead you through the entire museum, the best vantage spots for the garden and also the collection of art housed by the museum.
I would have given this attraction a higher score as the garden is 11/10 but the fact that only the titles of the artwork is in English and the explanation and history of the artists is only in Japanese brought the score down. Considering that this is an internationally reknown attraction, is clearly very well looked after and well planned I find this strange.
Another thing.... if you intend to catch the free shuttle back then make sure you take a card which can be found at reception, for the time you intend to return. I did not know this until I saw everyone else getting onto the bus having them. I ran back and got one. Fortunately it was not a busy time and I managed to get a seat, perhaps at another time I would not have been so lucky. I guess the little speech the driver gave before dropping us off informed passengers of this, but again, these instructions were only given in Japanese.
Be sure to visit the Adachi Museum the garden is really spectacular. I am not a huge fan of Japanese painting but the collection is considerable, I also understand it is notable, so if youre into Japanese art then you are bound to be satisfied here too.

4  Thank Terry E
There are newer reviews for Adachi Museum of Art

Reviewed June 4, 2013

This museum has very beautiful Japanese garden, which is ranked as number 1 from 2002 to 2012 in the Journal of Japanese Gardening.

Reviewed May 18, 2013

Adachi is a perfect marriage of Japanese Art and beautiful Japanese Gardens settled in a natural environment. Every segment of the gardens is sculpted by master gardeners who are incredible artists. Adachi wasn't a part of our originally planned trip to Japan but after a friend told us about the gardens, we extended our stay to travel to Yasugi and take in the pristine beauty of the museum gardens. We are so happy we made that change of plans. It was worth it and we found ourselves wishing to see the gardens in each season of the year.

We strolled through the entire museum enjoying the gallery of art.

It was a great choice to visit Adachi, after all, it is ranked the #1 Japanese Garden and has earned that reputation for more than 10 years.

Nearby Adachi, we stayed at Saginoyuso Hotel which is a Japanese Ryokan Hotel with an Onsen. The room was spacious, the food great and more than we could consume and the onsen a perfect spot to relax in the spring waters after a day of touring.

1  Thank Joey P
Reviewed May 9, 2013

The gardens are part of an art museum. The landscaping is very unique and the grounds look perfect. Very large area to view from inside, and you can view different themes from various places around the museum.

Reviewed November 21, 2012

Adachi Museum of Art is a nice place to see Japanese art but definitely the best part of it is the fabulous garden, which now has been ranked the number one in Japan. The garden is huge and you can see it from different angles, though only through the windows.
This place is absolutely worth a visit!