“Value very much depends on the travelers' needs, so be aware of the strong and weak points.”
Review of Hisago

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Hisago
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels / Ryokan in Imari
Reviewed March 19, 2013

A very old guesthouse and restaurant, traditional design. I trust it had been very busy serving the community in the past, with many tatami mat reception rooms. This also means that Hisago has had better days, and needs some refreshing.
I’ve been poundering a few days about how to write about that venue. Be assured the words are well thought of : I gave it a good deal of reflexion.
Key comment: this is good for the right customer, and not suitable to another type of customer. Let’s try to clarify this.
This is not for romance or business, at least if the customer is from the western world. I stayed 3 days in March. As days were passing by, I was appreciating the place increasingly.
Positive sides:
1- Location, location, location. ( see below)
2- Very good staff
3- Very good japanese breakfast
Negative points:
1- No insulation, so the wind comes in, through the cracks between the panels.
2- Tiny washroom ( see description of room below)
3- No view on the two inner Japanese gardens, that are nevertheless very pretty. ( I finally found out a spot where I could sit and read by the garden, but it is too bad the room doesn`t have a window. I believe the construction of the en suite washroom has led to the sacrifice of the window).
Strongest point is location, very close to train and bus station, and very close to post office. I had to mail a parcel the morning of my departure, I was very much in a hurry, so the post office one block away was a blessing. In general, location is very central.
Staff very efficient, nice, excellent service.
I was travelling alone, and expressed preference for western style toilet. That certainly influenced what room I was assigned. Nevertheless, that is the only room I can describe. I happened to have a measuring tape with me, and I measured the room myself: 2.86m x 3,5m, exclusive of washroom.
The room is tatami mats, Japanese style, but very simple. Washroom tiny but all equipment working very well. If someone travels alone and values location, very helpful staff, and the other positive sides of the deal, then this is a good place to stay.
For me, worked out well, given my specific needs. On the other hand, would not have suited me if I have been travelling in a couple situation.
Paid 23 100 yens, for 3 nights, that included 3 breakfasts and one sukiyaki very extensive dinner. The staff drove in to bus station the last day in her personal car.

Room Tip: Ask about dimmensions, especially if not travelling alone.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo