“Hidden gem”

Open-Air Museum of Old Japanese Farm Houses
Ranked #5 of 26 things to do in Toyonaka
More attraction details
Owner description: The Open-Air Musuem of Old Japanese Farmhouses is an outdoor museum where representative houses from throughout Japan have been moved and restored for exhibition along with related items and implements from daily living. Located on grounds of about 36,000㎡ inside Hattori Ryokuchi Park in Toyonaka City, Osaka Prefecture, the museum has on display 12 farmhouses such as the Namba Magariya from as far north as Iwate to the Takakura from as far south as Amami Oshima. These houses were all built in Edo period(17-19th century) and are imbued with the style created by the climate, culture, and customs characteristic to each locality. The clever use of the natural surroundings and wisdom applied by people at the time to live in harmony are in display throughout of time to convey to us quietly important messages.
Sydney
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Hidden gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2013

This is not a popular attraction in Osaka and not regularly mentioned in itineraries. I found it on some random brochure and checked it out. It was really quite interesting and set in a very tranquil park area with hardly any tourists. Highly recommended for a real glimpse back in time (unlike Osaka castle!).

Visited January 2013

15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Very interesting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013

A fun way to spend a hour or two away from the crowd. There are a total of 12 farmhouses from all over Japan, including a Noh stage and some very beautiful wooden homes for extended families. The museum is located in Ryokuchikoen and can easily be found by glancing at the park's conveniently located maps. Enjoyed this place a lot.

Visited July 2013
3 Thank Kerk P
Sudbury, Canada
66 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 144 helpful votes
“I can just testify about the outside, but appears excellent.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

Guidebook did not mention it is closed Mondays. I lost big taxi fare to go there. But the park is peaceful, a break from urban Osaka. I still could see the land and houses of the open air museum through the bars of the fence: beautiful.
Of course this is never as good as being allowed inside, but I still saw the quality of the old farm houses, and land around them. A leap in the past. I enjoyed it, even from outside. There were cherry blossoms, at least 30 trees: gorgeous. I passed my hands and small camera through the bars, and took many pictures. I strongly suspect these will be the best pictures of my entire Japan trip this time. Magic rural Japan, with cherry blossoms.
But, please, go on another day than a Monday.
Downside: very much off the beaten path. I did not trust my proficiency with a complex public transportation trajectory, so I took a cab. Two ways, this is a 120 $ ride. My pictures are expensive ones. I guess locals could have helped me figuring out the subway-bus system to get there.

Visited March 2013