Uno Slope House
$107
  • Restaurant
$79
$69
Diamond Setouchi Marine Hotel(Tamano)(Great Value!)
$164
$289
$215
Trip.com
Yoshitomo Ryokan(Kurashiki)
All reviewsnaoshima islandpancake breakfastinland seaart islandsjapanese homeeasy accessferry terminalcomfortable staycomfortable homewonderful staymaxhostslopes
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Uno Slope House is conveniently located to reach Naoshima island on a day (or multi-day) trip, a must in your travel plan, specially if you are into art or architecture.

You should definitely visit this place for a very different experience in Japan. Just rent a bike (electric is recommended) and ride the island for the best contemporary art (Yayoi Kusama, Monet, James Turrell...), either at the magnificent museums scattered around or at the so-called "crazy houses" in the main island village.

Max was the best host, picking us up from the station, leaving us for a great dinner at a friend's restaurant and coming back to bring us to a nice, ample, clean, Japanese-style room.

Breakfast is five-star hotel standard, with lots of fruit, pancakes, yoghurt, juice, cereals... and the finest coffee in several miles around!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Crgzqc
Reviewed August 21, 2013

My friend and I stayed at Uno Slope House for two nights.

Hiro (a lovely staff member) met us at the train station on arrival, and drove us back to the house. He also carried my heavy suitcase up several stairs - what a gentleman!

Uno Slope House was beautiful. Each room was styled with traditional works and ornaments.
My friend and I shared the study room - literally a study, fitted with a desk and a book cabinet. We loved it. The beds on the tatami floor were so comfortable. They provided us with a good night's rest that's for sure. Clean towels everyday - and an abundance of them too - no skimping. So good. The house was always immaculately clean and tidy. Great amenities. Free wifi baby! YES.

Hiro was awesome to talk to - like a friend! He was so helpful. Also, I have to make mention of his pancake breakfasts. What a spread! Not just pancakes, but every topping imaginable! Including Nutella (oh yeah).

Max, the owner, was away during our stay - but I had booked the accommodation through him via email. He was always speedy with his replies to me, and he would always write detailed and lengthy emails with all of the information I could ever hope for. Max, you gem! Thank you.

Hiro also dropped us off at the ferry stop on our last day, and organised for the office staff there to look after our luggage. He also texted us to make sure we got on the last train back to Tokyo safely. How nice is that?!

Exceptional service, and awesome accommodation!

I am totally returning to Uno Slope House one day. And I will be telling my friends to stay there for sure.

Thanks!

Jade, from Tasmania.

Also, the house is about a 10 minute walk to the ferry terminal. It is a nice stroll. No hills. All flat. If you're not into walking, there are also bikes that you can borrow from Hiro.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jadalemonada
Reviewed August 17, 2013

My parents and I stayed for 3 nights. We loved the cozy place and Hiro's pancakes. Max and Hiro took very good care of us. Max also booked VIP ticket for the boat to Teshima for us. ^_^
Visiting Uno and the art islands, also chatting with Hiro in the breakfast time brought me inspirations.
The art islands is one of the best place for art&architecture tour in Japan. I can't wait to be back soon.

Pachara
Stayed August 2013

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 6, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here for two nights so that we could see Naoshima. Uno Slope House was situated really well for this, a couple of minutes bike ride from Uno port. Our room was spacious and beautiful, the futons comfortable, and all amenities fine. Special mention goes to the service - Hiro was overseeing the house while we were there, and he was incredibly accommodating. He picked us up from Uno train station, helped us with a million questions about Japan generally and Uno/Naoshima specifically, and generally proved to be a great conversationalist. The pancakes are fantastic, definitely worth the extra 600 yen. All in all, this was our favourite accommodation in Japan.

Room Tip: The Tea Ceremony room was great, but I suspect all three rooms are superb.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 4, 2013

The stay was very good, Max and Hiro very friendly, speaking english so that we could learn a little from their country.

Very nice house, breakfast and very practical to go to Naoshima island and its beautiful museums.

We recommend this place !

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family