“comfortable, traditional and sweet hostel”

Yufuin Country Road Youth Hostel
Ranked #2 of 20 Specialty lodging in Yufu
Miyakonojo, Japan
“comfortable, traditional and sweet hostel”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

We stayed for one night in a tatami room on futon and it was a lovely experience. rooms and shared toilets are warm (for japan in winter) and spotlessly clean. lovely warm communal area with a view of yufuin in the snow. good (small) onsen, almost scandinavian feeling. the owners gave us plenty of tips for sight seeing and discount vouchers for the kagura show in town. when we left they played the guitar and sang "country roads" for us to say goodbye!! it made me realise how much i'll miss this country and the sweet people. fantastic option if you want a lovely place to crash, whether a family, friends or couple.

Room Tip: our room seemed to have changed from bun beds to traditional futon but we didn't mind - so you m...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Singapore, null, Singapore
Reviewed January 8, 2014

We checked into the hostel in the evening and took a taxi from the station which cost just under 1000 yen for the 10 min ride. Our 2 famillies of 8 stayed in 3 rooms. It is a bit far from the city but if you are lazy to walk or take a bus, and if the timing fits, you can save some money by hitching a ride in Ryo's car in the morning when he sends his daughter to school. Ryo is kind enough to make 2 trips as not everybody leaving that day could fit into his MPV. We had included breakfast and dinner in our booking as the most convenient option and it was a wise choice. Portions are enough and you can help yourself to the free flow beverages (coffee, tea) in the lounge. As the hostel is located on top of the hill, the lounge overlooks the city and you can enjoy a beautiful night view from the cosy comfort of the heated lounge. After dinner, Ryo took us on a short adventure trek up a slope to better enjoy the city nightview. We were treated to another beautiful view the next morning over breakfast as it was snowing heavily and everything was covered in snow! Unfortunately, our daughter fell sick in the night and we were not able to enjoy our stay as much as we had wanted to. Be prepared to climb stairs if your room is on the second floor (not recommended for those with knee problems). You must also make your own beds in the tatami rooms. Before we left the hostel, Ryo and his family gave us a send-off by singing, what else, 'Country Road Take Me Home' made famous by John Denver.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Youth hostel is misleading. The average age during my stay was 45. Being the only international, I felt very unwelcomed and my stay was more of a chore. There were activities in ha. I was not offered the option of the added breakfast or dinner and had to make the request. I was also moved from my room, which under normal circumstances I'm fine with, but I had booked my room well in advance. The dorm was fine, nothing amazing by japanese Standards. On a positive the place has an onsen and if you arrive at the station at 6pm, they'll pick you up. I however could only arrive at 615 and they weren't flexible with helping me out. I also asked for travel advice but they weren't very helpful. It would be perfect for a family traveling to the beautiful town.

• Stayed January 2014
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 17, 2013 via mobile

This hostel is a place I hate to say goodbye to because of the following :

Rate: I'm a YHA member so it was 600¥ cheaper every night. It came up to 10000¥ for 3 nights, which is inclusive of onsen tax and one dinner =)

Location:yes it it far from town high on a mountain but trust me that's what makes it so special. U get SPECTACULAR Views and it's pleasant walking down to town centre for about half an hour =)

There r only two buses per day serving the bus stop outside the hostel so make sure u catch them if u don't feel like walking =)

Ambience :spotlessly clean!!! And v. Good shower and onsen facilities (just one hot spring). Sleeping Rooms are clean, common area is a chill and relaxed area =)

Dinner: Ryo-san and his wife can cook!! 1050¥ for dinner is quite worth it, considering the spread. U should try it at least once!

Hosts: Ryo-san & his family are such beautiful people! When I first arrived Ryo-san looked rather stern but he was actually a superbly hilarious guy and made everyone feel comfortable and at home. He made sure the rooms were nice and toasty, and that the guests had tea and snacks if they sat in the common room =)

His children (3of them!!) are the loveliest and most obedient children I've ever met. Well-behaved, confident and cute!!!

Thanks for making my stay there an absolutely beautiful one. I hope to be back =)

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed October 21, 2013

This lovely hostel offers a very homely atmosphere. Ryo and his wife made us feel like we were part of their family. Whilst this hostel is seemingly furthest from the walking street area of Yufuin and Yufuin Station (approx. 40 minutes walking/15 minutes by taxi), I would say it's worth traveling here. The hostel location offers you a very nice city view as well as lovely mountain range. On the departure day, they made us a surprise but calling us to the lobby before the shuttle bus time and sang us a farewell song. I wholeheartedly recommend this place!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed April 15, 2012

a wonderful hostel that has a very homey feel and the owners really make sure everyone has a great time. we also took the breakfast and dinner and it was a real feast. the rooms were tidy and pretty, traditional japanese style. many japanese people staying there, all of them friendly and smiling :) the location didnt bother us at all - on the contrary - it had a great view and was quiet like we wanted. the owner also provided free pickup from and to the station.

the onsen is also very nice, small and basic. my favourite part was when the owner invited everyone to watch the starts at one night (beautiful!) and when the owner and his family sang us for goodbye when we left!

would surely stay there again! :)

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Hong Kong
Reviewed March 11, 2011

I opted for dinner and breakfast which was a wise choice. The small town is so quiet after 6pm. There is no restaurant nearby unless you drive.
Breakfast was big the first morning. And then the portion got smaller the next day. Probably because the owner of the youth hostel saw me packing some bread on the first day.
There is a nice onsen (hot spring) near the hostel--only 15 mins walk downhill.
20 mins walk uphill to the youth hostel from the train station, if you walk fast.
There are 2 buses going to the hostel last afternoon. Another 2 buses going to the station early morning on weekday only. Or you may ride in the owner's van leaving at 8:20am every day to the train station/town centre.
You are supposed to pay for the internet, but who knows if you don't.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo