See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed December 24, 2015

We were there with two kids (10 & 12 yrs) early spring 2015. The service, room and meals were no short of attention to details. The after dinner service at the fire place is great too that includes instructions/demonstrations to make your own pop corn and toasted rice crackers (similar to marshmallows). Water, tea, hot spring steamed eggs and sweet potatoes are available all day long as snacks. They work their staff really hard, especially the servers.

Room tip: Free wifi and wifi itself is limited to the computer room
Date of stay: March 2015
2  Thank sfx22
Reviewed November 29, 2015

The house I stayed is Kunisaki which is very lovely house. There are a few activities provided for guest to enjoy such as popcorn at night, drinking yogurt at terrace in the morning. Onsen is also a extremely chillax one.
And staff is very helpful. The meals are prepared so neatly. The food looks so beautiful.

Date of stay: November 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank ote_okawari
Reviewed January 29, 2015

I visited Hoteiya with my family including my old father. We enjoyed wonderful three night stay at luxury rooms such as Otake. Some staffs were not as nice as we expected but Satosan was so kind and helpful. As we travelled with old father everything was slow and limited. Thanks to Yukisan for preparing rooms and meals. All rooms were great.

Date of stay: January 2015
4  Thank Jay L
Reviewed December 9, 2014

It has been my 4th time visiting Yufuin during my trip in Kyushu. Yufuin is some place not to be missed if you're in Kyushu for various reasons, mainly due to the atmosphere of the town itself as well as good quality hot springs. Hoteiya provided just that and even more.

The place is somewhat cozy compared to the other places. Main front desk is simple, yet it provided comfort the moment we arrived. We were greeted with big smile and the check-in process was smooth.

Our room was facing right across from the main front desk building, and I was a bit worried to enter at first assuming it's way too close in proximity. However, there was an entrance area and a plenty of space to take off shoes before entering into the main room. Our privacy is covered.
The room had a high ceiling, providing a large open space. All amenities were there as needed. The toilet and wash area were somewhat old, but kept clean. The best of all, the room had its own private hot springs attached to it!

The staff were very friendly and the dinner was absolutely fabulous. We were amazed by the quality and the volume it provided. The breakfast is served in the main front desk building on the second floor. Although it was an open space, they provided partitions for each of the table to preserve some level of privacy.

In the morning, next to the main public bath provided for all guest, you can find free drinks like milk and juice. Not to be missed!

This Ryokan is truly a good example of traditional Japanese Ryokans providing utmost level of tranquility and 'Omotenashi,' a true meaning of Japanese way of entertaining guests wholeheartedly during stay.

Highly recommended to those who plan to visit Yufuin. The Ryokan deserves higher ranking than the current for sure!

Room tip: Try the 'Hotei no Ma' room type as it's attached to the private hot springs.
Date of stay: November 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
3  Thank teddybear1216
Reviewed August 23, 2014

From the (not unbearable, but borderline magical) smell of rhubarb in my room to the view from the "hallway" to the food and service to the "roasting hail in the hearth" (i.e. making popcorn), I had a great stay. I tried to do research but could not find good pictures, therefore I won't be posting any pictures as it seemed to make the stay much more impressive. Ranks up there on the top 10 list of all hotels/ryokans I stayed in, and I'm really picky. It was HK$10000 for four, but from the pufferfish meal (included in price) to the service and beds, it was worth it.

Room tip: All rooms are identical and equally wonderful.
Date of stay: August 2014