All reviews soup rice one night baths waterfall courses river japan ryokan garden dinner onsen
Selected filters
Reviewed June 23, 2018 via mobile

Best resort you are surrounded with natural landscapes and water fall. We were in a totally relax mood listening to the flow of water.

The dinner was fantastic we were pampered with good quality Japanese fine dining in private room setting.

Few options of onsen to explore. In the room with privacy, family style setting where everyone enjoy it together or the open areas separated by male and female room. Recommend you try all.

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 12, 2018

We stayed 3 nights in room 302 with it's own open air hot bath. Amazing feeling to watch the snow fall and luxuriate in a hot tub. There are also great private hot baths with river views. The gardens are beautifully landscaped with boulders and lanterns, and there is a lovely walk to a waterfall. The service was extremely friendly and the dinner, some 8 - 10 courses, served in private rooms, was always great. Hard for a westerner to get used to Japanese breakfasts ( rice, fish, soup etc) - no Western choices - so it was curious to find that the lunch menu at the bar was mostly international ( varieties of pasta). We were the only non Japanese guests, but the staff made a real effort to communicate
with us. The countryside around the ryokan is unattractive, and even the towns within an hour's drive aren't too interesting. Best hibernate at Sanso Tensui for your whole stay. It's a supremely relaxing experience.

Room tip: Can't beat 302 with it's own private hot bath overlooking the river
Date of stay: February 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 27, 2017

Stayed at Asamoya, a special room recently renovated. The room was fantastic with indoor and outdoor onsen. Hewever, the service by the staff
was rather mediocre. They are friendly on the surface but never rerember
your name. The reception at the time of check-in and out was rather
disappointing as it was so businesslike.

Room tip: special room with the fall view
Date of stay: November 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed April 18, 2017 via mobile

It is hard to imagine any more relaxing place in the world than sitting in an Onsen in the middle of a green and quiet forest watching an impressive waterfall. Superfriendly but discrete staff, great and very clean rooms with river view and a restaurant that would definitely deserve Michelin stars make this my favorite Onsen (and I have been to quite a few given half my family is Japanese).

Date of stay: April 2017
Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank Mark1707
Reviewed October 30, 2016

My husband and I visited Japan in October and we stayed two nights at two different ryokans. I was looking for a more secluded off the beaten bath type of place and a friend in Japan helped me do some research and suggested Sanso Tensui to me. I am so glad that she did.

I am by no means an expert in ryokans, but I can compare Sanso with two other ones that I have stayed at, and when I say that this place is a hidden gem, I really mean a hidden gem. The ryokan is located in the middle of a forest up in a mountain next to a waterfall and a river. It is the most beautiful, scenic, and serene hotel/ryokan I have ever stayed at. If you love beautiful scenery and want to feel like you are living in a Miyazaki film while taking a bath, this place is for you. If you love good food, this place is for you. If you love friendly staff, this place is for you.

I really cannot say enough good things about this place. All of the staff we encountered were kind, friendly and helpful. Even though we did not speak Japanese and most of the staff did not speak English, they always tried their best to understand our requests, explain instructions, and describe our food to us.

The dinner at Sanso Tensui was easily the best meal I had in Japan. This is one of the more traditional ryokans where they serve you your multi-course dinner in your room. After dinner, they will put the table away and lay out the futons for you while you go take your after dinner baths. I believe they serve different dishes according to what's in season at the time so I'm sure everyone will have slightly different meals, but all I can say is that I enjoyed everything that I was served. You can also tell that all the ingredients were super fresh. We had the deepest, reddest, tuna sashimi that I had ever seen and I don't like tuna normally, but that piece of tuna was heaven.

Breakfast is served in the lounge area and consisted of a set meal with rice and soup (which were refillable), bread, yogurt, fresh jams and honey, some side dishes, fresh tofu, rolled egg, fresh fish and fish cake that you grill yourself, and fresh fruit. There is also a small buffet area with fresh juice, milk, raw egg, salad, and various kinds of Japanese pickles. I don't usually eat a lot of rice, but I ended up finishing my bowl of rice and half a bowl of my husband's rice who commented that he had never seen me eat so much.

Other than feeling happily full, I also felt like I had never been so clean in my life. This place offers three public baths and 5 private/family baths. The public baths are separated by gender and you can go in at any time other than when it is closed after hours. The family baths are smaller private baths that are available by reservation for 45 min intervals. There is one public bath that can be accessed from the second floor which overlooks a waterfall. This bath was wonderful but one thing I noticed was that there is a farm across the mountain. It's on the other side of the mountain, but I was still able to see the farmers working there and had to wonder if they could see us too. The largest/main public bath is located on the first floor and judging by my husband's description, the men's side seems to be located right on the river bank. The women's side is located higher up from the river. The 3rd public bath swaps gender at a certain hour, which I'm glad it does because one bath just looks like a tiny blue tiled swimming pool while the other one is like a traditional cedar wood bath that was definitely a lot nicer.

The private baths are all located in a row next to the river. They all enjoy the same river view and the only difference is with the type of bath and size. They all had a shower area and the bath inside the building which opens out into the river/forest on one side.

We also found a special treat randomly while going to the private baths. On the path to the private baths, there is a sign in Japanese with an arrow pointing away from the main building and private baths. We didn't know where it was pointing to, but we decided to explore anyway and found that the signs lead you to a remote area with a waterfall. It was such an unexpected wonderful find and there was no one else around when we were there. It was like having our own private forest and waterfall.

I definitely recommend everyone looking for a Ryokan in the area to stay at Sanso Tensui. It is only 2 stations away from Yufuin. If you don't care about staying in Yufuin for the night, you can even visit Yufuin during the day and stay the night at Sanso Tensui. I definitely enjoyed Sanso Tensui more than the ryokan we stayed at in Yufuin.

Thank you to all the staff at Sanso Tensui for making our stay so wonderful, even just for one night. I hope I will have the opportunity to stay here again some time in the future!

Date of stay: October 2016