See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed March 20, 2017 via mobile

It's small ryokan very close to Amanohashidate station only 2 min walk. We came from Kyoto with the bus and this ryokan is the closest available. We could only check in at 3pm, but they let put our stuff in the lobby. I stayed with my parents in one standard room with three beds(futon). I recommend here especially if you travel with 3 ppl, it's enough space and more affordable. The room is larger than I imagine. They have kotatsu (heater table), separated seating area, washing basin with hot water. I love the ryokan interior especially the hallway and the toilet. They only have one shared bathroom, but it's for one person one time so we have the whole privacy in the end. The staff is friendly, I talked to them in Japanese, but I think they can manage basic english. The wifi is awesome. They also have full book shelves of top manga (in japanese)!

Date of stay: March 2017
Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed August 22, 2015

This is one of the niceist guest houses that I have ever stayed in. It is very close to the train station and all of the wonderful sights this beautiful place has to offer. We were very warmly welcomed on arrival and made to feel right at home.

Date of stay: August 2015
1  Thank jmarchant
Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

We booked online just before we got there but they were ready when we arrived. We were the only ones staying there so they moved us into a bigger room without charge. They were very accommodating and helpful with information about the town especially as we had arrived late and most of the town had shut down. The next day they were able to help us with renting bikes and recommended a route we take for our morning tour. Japanese breakfast was also very filling and delicious. Coffee beans are roasted freshly everyday which adds a new element to breakfast.

Date of stay: July 2014
2  Thank Shunya Y
Reviewed June 21, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for one night as we traveled around Japan in July 2011. We were pleased we made the trek out to Amanohashidate even though it is a little bit off the beaten track - that seems to be a big part of its charm. There's not a great deal of accommodation in Amanohashidate, especially in the budget range, so we spent more on this place than we had been in others and consequently expected more from it - and we received it. I would recommend staying here if you would like a great experience of a traditional Japanese inn. Although the staff don't speak a great deal of English (and I don't speak a huge amount of Japanese) we managed to make ourselves understood and the staff really bent over backwards to help us. Our room was spacious and comfortable and very well maintained. We didn't have dinner in the ryokan but enjoyed a traditional breakfast which was quite a spread indeed, the food never ended! We also took advantage of hiring bikes from them to ride across the sand spit to the famous lookout spot. Although there are communal bathing facilities within the ryokan, I took advantage of the onsen nearby which was again just a minute up the road. It was a very peaceful and relaxing stay in an idyllic location and I would highly recommend making the trek!

Date of stay: July 2011
Reviewed September 16, 2009

We stayed in Maruyasu in May 2009. It’s a one minute walk from Amanohashidate train station and it is close to all amenities. This minshuku is very beautifully done up in Japanese style and it is spotless and very well maintained. I could see that a lot of thought was put in to presenting the place and making sure our stay would be a pleasant one. Attention to detail was fantastic. Our futons were made with clean and crisp bed linen each day, while we enjoyed a scrumptious dinner. Breakfasts and dinners were mainly seafood – really fresh seafood beautifully presented (it was almost shame to eat it!!) and was so delicious!! They served so many varieties of beautiful dishes each day. They offer a wide range of sake (we don’t drink, so can’t comment on how nice they might have been…) and specialised coffee also. According to my husband, the coffee was one of the nicest he ever had!! (I’m a tea drinker, so I’ll take his word for it!). The room we stayed had a washing basin (with hot water! which is often lacking in minshuku/ryokan) and a clothes horse (unusual for a minshuku), both of which we found very useful. The family who run the place are so friendly and very nice. They were like our local tour guides!! They gave us advice on best places to see Amanohashidate (not in your guide book!!) and also recommended cycling around the bay and a sightseeing train journey, which we really enjoyed. You can rent a bicycle at a discounted rate from the shop downstairs also. I would highly recommend this place if you are travelling to Amanohashidate. We travelled to Japan every year for the past 3 years (spending 3 weeks each time), but this was by far the best place we stayed out of all the minshukus and ryokans throughout Japan!!

Date of stay: May 2009