“Old, but well renovated and good bath"onsen" to reserve for private”
Review of Fukudaya

Fukudaya
Ranked #5 of 39 Hotels / Ryokan in Unzen
Seoul
“Old, but well renovated and good bath"onsen" to reserve for private”
Reviewed July 21, 2011

Stayed one night with family. Building itself is old. But with renovation, it looks enough.
Room has Japanese style "tatami" space and 2 beds for sleeping. It is also OK for me.
There are several "onsen" to be reserved for private. And my kid really enjoyed it.
As for dinner, we have selection, And it was served at Japanese style restaurant instead of room. It is also my preference.
If you like to relax with Japanese style "onsen", here can be one of your candidate.
By the way I didn't know that "Unzen=雲仙" was wrote as "温泉=Onsen" before. It was small surprise for me.

Room Tip: There popular selection is
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
, お客様担当マネージャー at Fukudaya, responded to this review, June 21, 2012
We are very sorry for delay in response to your message.
We truly appreciate your comment regarding our bath. Please visit our hotel again if you have any chance to visit Japan in future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Korean first
NSW Australia
Reviewed April 21, 2011

First let me say that we arrived in Japan (Osaka) the day after the disaster and it was business as usual from Osaka southwards. Our travel was not impacted by the quake/tsunami at all. Japanese people are very concerned about how tourism will be affected, so please don't cancel your trip; go and enjoy all that Japan has to offer. Japan is hospitable and amazing and I can't wait to return.

My daughter and I needed accommodation in Unzen for 1 night. Nothing really stood out for us on the net so when we saw a weekday deal for Fukudaya, we decided to take it as the hotel appeared to be in a central location and the price was good.

We were so pleasantly surprised by Fukudaya! Service, food, room, location and view were all excellent. It is hard to rate one of these aspects over another, it was all so good however I would say that the service was the most excellent ... A+!

A delightful English speaking gentleman (many apologies to him as I can't remember his name), looked after us extremely well. The rest of the staff were friendly and fabulous too.

We had a stunning dinner. We had not ordered kansei, but instead had the most amazing sizzling plate meal which I had not experienced in Japan before. Breakfast was a feast and even though the lady serving it did not speak English, she told us exactly what to do with actions and a warm smile. Communicating in English in not that important to us, you can understand exactly what is going on if you are receptive.

Thank you so much to the staff of Fukudaya and especially the lovely man who spoke English. I will be back and next time I will stay longer! Unzen is a delightful town with wonderful walks and attractions ... do find the trail to the Princess Konohanasakuya shrine, it is well worth a look! :)

To bus travellers, the bus from Nagasaki stops right outside Fukudaya, just tell the bus driver and he will stop there. We missed it by one stop but it was an easy walk just down the hill to get back there.

Room Tip: ask for weekday special rates
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
, お客様担当マネージャー at Fukudaya, responded to this review, June 21, 2012
We are very sorry for delay in response to your message.
Your kind comment is much appreciated. We will make best effort to welcome our guests from overseas.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Unzen
Fukiya
Hotel Nanpurou
Hotel Nanpurou
#1 of 14 in Shimabara
Unzen Miyazaki Ryokan

Been to Fukudaya? Share your experiences!