“Food was below par”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Panama City, Panama
“Food was below par”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I visited this restaurant with high expectations but was let down by the food. I ordered the lasagna of which they only have one type. It took quite a bit of time to get the food so meanwhile I ordered a cup of house red wine which was served luke warm and hardly drinkable. It needed to be chilled a bit because room temperature near the beach in Panama is around 25 deg C. Finally the lasagna arrived but with no bread. For $10.50 not only do I expect an excellent lasagna but also a side of garlic bread. Unfortunately the lasagna was not good at all and lacked tomato sauce. The ground beef was a bit dry and the cheese bland. It was topped with cheap parmesan cheese from a green bottle. For the price I expected fresh grated parmesan cheese. Overall I was disappointed with my meal. The service was good however but could still be improved. If you are in the mood for Italian go to Cafe Coronado on the main road. They have an amazing high quality lasagna for much cheaper and it includes a side of garlic bread.

• Visited March 2013

Panama Province, Panama
“Excellent Italian in Coronado beach area”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Many people were dining in when we tried Luna Rossa. It is the pricier restaurant of many that we have tried in the Coronado and San Carlos area, but our meal was worth it. We had the steak with red wine sauce along with Corvina Siciliana (eggplant, onions and tomato sauce topped the fish). Choices of salad, french fries or plantains went along with the meal (we ate the salad and french fries), but noted here is that the portion size of the corvina is smaller than I would like for the cost. The steak was cooked perfectly and tasted great (unusual to find good, tender tasting beef in Panama!), and this is what we set out for to begin with when choosing finer dining. We ended the meal with two "so-so" desserts of cheescake and tres leches (I wish I had stuck with trying the gelato since I had read such great reviews of the homemade treat). The tres leches whip cream was a little too hard, but the cake itself was moist and tasty. Another diner says she always orders the lasagna, because it is just that good. This is a restaurant to go to knowing you will pay a bit more, but you will get high quality food and good service. When in Coronado again, I will try it out for lunch. I have been told the lunch menu is reasonable with many different selections and to try the pizza.

• Visited March 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“A Little Slice of Florence”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

The owner Lisa Capelli from Florence, Italy introduced herself right away and helped us make our selection. Lisa is such a lovely person and the restaurant has a warm atmosphere, good service and great food at decent prices. The pasta is freshly made and they offer all the classic Italian options. This place is popular because the food is so good!

Visited March 2013
Cardinal
“Up Scale resturant with authentic Italian food”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Went Luna Rossa when we stayed in Coronado
the hostess/ owner is from Italy
very pleasant and freindly
the resturant is clean and quiet
food is very good but don't be in a rush it sometimes takes a while especially if the place is buisy
portions are good but price is a little to high for the area

Visited February 2013
marathio
“One Of The Top Restaurants in Coronado”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We are residents of Coronado and LunaRossa is one of the very best restaurants in the region. When the new owners, Lisa Capelli and Stelvio Pacchini took over the restaurant, they brought with them an exceptionally talented cook from a 5 star restaurant in Florence. He has not lost a beat and Dario (who is also their nephew) turns out some of the best Italian food in all of Panama, Their tagliatelli is home made as are many of their pastas. Their sauces are true” best of Italy recipes” and are also used in many of their other recipes. Recently, I ordered grouper Siciliano which was so good that it defies description. My partner had their spaghetti with mushrooms agliae oila. It too was excellent. Their menu is varied and if you are looking for a great filet mignon (top quality filet is hard to find in Panama) then I highly recommend their filet in red wine sauce. The meat was tender and the sauce was light and piquant. Their gelato is home made and one spoonful brings you back to the streets of Florence. Finally, of course, their thin shell pizza is not only popular and extraordinary but is also available for take out.
I read another comment about service and I must address it. Everything is made to order in this restaurant and that takes time. If you are looking for a meal on the go, McDonald's is done the street. But if you have any issues (and there are very few but this is a popular restaurant) then just let Lisa or Stelvio know. They are always in the restaurant (as good restaurateurs are) and will take care of whatever needs to be done.
LunaRossa is one of the oldest restaurants in the beach areas and when it closed, many of the who-whos of Panama mourned its closure. Now that Lisa and Stelvio have reopened it, they have exceeded even the original reputation. If you are in Coronado, this is a must-visit. Excellent food and reasonable prices.

• Visited February 2013